2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

splashprincess

great, thanks for the posts of boats incoming ...

be interesting to see a list of what boats have failed and why?....for all of us going forward, maybe to help us prepare better in certain areas.

atleast last time 3 years ago we only had head winds from welly to akl....35-25 knots...i remember we got the kits up on the stretch from channel to motuihe

but having them all the way around.....not good

Congratulations everyone that has made it and is still competing.

From the mentally tough and hot slow first leg to the bash fest on leg 2 the race so far has been brutal.

I hope for the rest of the fleet that the rest of the race is more forgiving.

Last race we had approx 300miles of kites in breeze in total but i'd say looking at the forcast it may be a lot less than that for this race.

No good when a lot off the boats are downwind performers.

Big ups to valium. Keep at it boys Your boats a better machine than you give it credit for and those caravans with freeboard are good for something.

And well done halo those guys must be tough as just keep on keeping on no stops and still going.

good stuff.

i reckon well done to the young guys on Pepe, ...arguably the most fragile boat out there and they made it in about 15 minutes behind the leader in their division....all that work with new carbon rig and associated stuff i gues paid off. like to hear their story and if they had any trouble ...

Who is keen an eager for a short beat from Wellington to Napier then?

From Metservice...

Issued by MetService at: 12:40pm 28 February 2011

Valid to: 12:00am 2 March 2011

Forecast:

*** GALE WARNING IN FORCE ***

Northwest 25 knots, easing to northerly 15 knots north of Cape Palliser in the morning. Rising to northerly 40 knots, but 25 knots in the north Tuesday afternoon. Sea becoming very rough in the south. Southeast swell 2 metres easing.

Outlook:

Outlook following 3 days: Northerly rising early Wednesday morning to 35 knots but 50 knots in south with high sea, becoming throughout by midday Wednesday, northwest 35 knots, then changing late Wednesday afternoon or evening southwest 15 knots. Developing Thursday northerly 15 knots but 25 knots in the south, rising Thursday night northerly 25 knots but 35 knots in south with very rough sea.

Very impressed with those pics Fineline - even your emergency fuel system is a tidy effort. :thumbup:

What's the plan - re-rig in Wellington or truck her home and re-launch in Auckland?

Hmmm wonder if there are any good specials on carbon at the moment... :wink:

Insurance folks working on a plan now. Looks like she'll be getting shipped back to Auckland and then re-rig there as it will be cheaper than trying to organise it here. Don't think we'll be going carbon unless I can find a really good deal but we might look at top mast runners and a square top :wink:

Some things that were in my inbox when I got back

LATEST: More withdrawals overnight on leg 2

8am Saturday

Seven more yachts have withdrawn from the second leg of the SSANZ Round the North Island two-handed race, after a night of 40 knot southerly winds. Young 11 Fineline has dismasted and is heading for Stephens Island, while Bon Chanse, Caro Vita, Fiction (which has keel problems), Ilex and Mix T Motions are all heading for shelter in New Plymouth. Clear Vision is heading for Port Hardy on D’Urville Island for shelter.

Beneteau 47.7 Surreal has some rudder damage after hitting a whale but is continuing to Wellington.

Race director David Cooke says many of the crews who have withdrawn are tired and need a rest after nearly five days on the wind in rough seas.

Only two boats have finished the leg: Akatea, which finished around 3pm yesterday, and M1, which finished at 21.41 last night. The next finisher is expected to be Beneteau 50 Bird on the Wing, followed by Second Nature and Karma Police.

Both Laissez Faire and Second Nature have reported engine problems and will require a tow once finished the leg in Wellington.

A gale warning is still in force for the Cook Marine area, with the southerly forecast to abate to 20 knots this morning.

Seven other yachts have previously withdrawn from this leg: Danaide, which withdrew with steering and rudder problems, is sheltering in Whangamumu and heading back to Auckland; Zen retired due to injury and has arrived in New Plymouth; Mr Roosevelt, which was dismasted and has been towed to Manakau across the bar; Andar, which had keel problems and is now in New Plymouth; Truxton, which has an injured crewmember but not serious, and is now in New Plymouth; and The Night Train, which is returning to Auckland after suffering hull damage.

From Nonstop

Just heard from Pete out off Cape Egmont, still moving well, sheets slightly cracked and making good boat speed on a reach. Pete sounds very relaxed and is looking forward to the tactical battle as they head for the top of the Sounds and Cook Strait. Mark on the helm at present, Pete off for a snooze and Nonstop moving well, I'm really looking forward to Saturday's 0600 sched, I believe it'll start to show the tactical edge gained by the lads. Pete informs me that the wind is still very much out of the west and as long as it stays there they won't be letting up, they'll be giving it everything on the way into Welly Town. If you want to go across and welcome them, Pete reckons early Sunday morning into Wellington, call Anna at Soundsair and I'm sure she'll get you across on Saturday night. You could even take Jenny (Pete's wife) out to dinner, she's lost her credit card so dinner's on you.

cheers

Duncan

Well the southerly arrived, apparently they've had 40 knots of it overnight, what a leg. Several more boats have withdrawn from the event either for reasons of damage (including another boat dismasted) or exhaustion on the part of the crew, having now been on the wind for nearly five days in rough conditions. The Div 4 battle continues with Open Country, Nonstop and Pepe choosing slightly differing courses as they enter Cook Strait and line up for Wellington. From a local knowledge perspective you'd have to back our boys on Nonstop. It's obviously been a tough time out there for Jo and Steffi on Caro Vita and latest reports suggest they're headed for New Plymouth to get some rest. The good news from a Nonstop perspective is that they are still sailing and the southerly should ease as the day goes on, it won't be pleasant but it will be bearable while the course they are sailing will set them up for better sailing angles once in Cook Strait than either Open Country or Pepe, the other Div 4 line honours contenders for this leg. I know I'll be keeping a very careful eye on the tracker through the day. More news when I get the next satphone call but that could be a while, sounds as though they have their hands full out there at the moment.

cheers,

Duncan

Intermittent info off the tracker this morning but it looks like Nonstop is diving south to get the best sailing angle through the strait. Great to hear that Caro Vita is headed for Wellington. Still trying to confirm whether Jo ad Steffi are back in the race or have decided there's a better chance for a good meal and a glass of wine there than in New Plymouth. For anyone in Welly and wanting to get together with the roadtrip girls, Jenny and Sue are into Wellington this afternoon Jen - 027 304 6363 & Sue 027 310 4544 if you want to get up close and personal with the action. The current forecast indicates it's going to stay straight southerly so the current course will serve them well once they head east across the strait. No satphone calls today yet but I'll be back with more info as soon as I hear anything.

cheers

Duncan

A quick update from Wellington where Sue and Jenny are currently enjoying dinner with the race organizers. Valium finished about 45 minutes ago to take the gun as first div 3 boat in. The organizers are looking at a Wednesday start to the next leg (provisionally) however this may change as the final intentions of the boats sheltering in New Plymouth are unknown at this stage, at least some of them indicating that they intend continuing in the race, Still waiting for the latest sched to go up on the web but with the tracker working again it does look as though there's still a fair bit of southerly out there for the lads on Nonstop. It's quite amazing when you think that this time next year the boats in the Round New Zealand two handed will be completing a second leg from Mangonui to Stewart Island. Might be a bit of a re-think of that after this years experiences. Catch up once the sched comes in and/or the satphone rings.

cheers

Duncan

It's going to be another long night out on the water for Pete and Mark on Nonstop. It must be plenty tough out there with Open Country headed for New Plymouth but intending to rejoin the race and a number of boats out there sheltering in various places but indicating their intention to rejoin the race. Great to see Caro Vita back in it and headed for Wellington. With metvuw indicating the southerly easing by 0700 tomorrow it could be quite an exciting battle between Pepe and Nonstop although at this stage Pepe have a definite edge. On current estimates Pepe should be in around midday tomorrow with current calculations putting Nonstop about 2-3 hours later. The calculation doesn't take tides into account but it would take some serious miscalculation on Pepe's part to lose that margin. Still no satphone reports in but judging by the conditions out there the lads have a few other things occupying them. Hopefully there's still some food onboard Nonstop because if they've run it a little fine in the menu planning it could be a miserable last twelve hours into Wellington. I'm guessing that some of the boats stopping over in New Plymouth are restocking the galley as this leg has taken longer than anticipated. In 2008 the slowest boat was home in 4 days 15 hours, this year they've bee out there 4 days 11 hours already and there are only seven boats finished, the bulk of the fleet is still out there. In 2008 Nonstop spent 4 days 1 hour 10 minutes on this leg, this year they'll be over a day slower, tough condtions but at least Pet, Mark and Nonstop are all still in one piece. Great news for everyone in Welly, you can party down and still be up in time to greet the boys when they get in (with only a small hangover). I'll just kick back with a glass of wine and wait for a satphone call or follow the tracker, catch up soon.

cheers,

Duncan

By the time you read this the team on Nonstop will have been racing 5 days. That's 5 days of 2 hours on, 2 hours off (unless there's something happening that requires both in which case forget the 2 hours off). Add to this the fact that what seems like a lifetime ago out round Cape Reinga they had to go up the mast to make a major repair after the backstay broke and you san start to understand the state of exhaustion that will currently exist onboard. The latest sched shows slow but steady progress toward a mid-afternoon finish today. As a final cruel blow on this leg, metvuw is showing a shift to norwesterlies today, meaning they'll be on the wind into Wellington harbour after having spent the last few days bashing into the southerly. I'd say food, a shower and sleep will be top priorities after this leg. If the suggested Wednesday restart stays in place it will be an ugly time once again as metvuw is indicating a strong northerly airstream by then. Not a pleasent scenario and it will be interesting to see how many boats head for Napier if the forecast northerly conditions are sitting out around Cape Palliser waiting for them. That's all conjecture, at this stage Pepe have had an outstanding last 12 hours and are looking good for line honours in Div 4 with Nonstop still on a mid-afternoon e.t.a.

cheers

Duncan

You'll have noted from the tracker that Nonstop is making very slow progress at present, that's because the wind is all but gone. While there is supposed to be a shift to the norwest and the guys are well positioned for this, at the moment it's a case of hurry up and wait. No word on Pepe's progress at this stage, they may be picking up some whispers of breeze or may also be waiting (in a very tidal area) for the norwest to arrive. With Northerly 50 knots forecast for Tuesday it's a safe bet that the race officials won't be in any hurry to restart then. On the water at present any northerly change could compress the fleet as it will bring the boats further back in the fleet down to those closer to the finish. A frustrating time but following a call from Pete this morning Jenny informs me he's still got his sense of humour and that both he and Mark are holding up well. We'll just have to hope the weather gods play their part in getting Nonstop home on leg 2.

cheers

Duncan

To quote Pete, "it's amazing how half an hour of sun on your back and a kite full of wind can make you forget all the s**t bits". Nonstop is headed for Mana Island with 15 knots of northerly and the big blue masthead spinnaker flying. We're trying to get updates on the current position of Pepe but without success so far. Coppelia is expected to be the next boat into Wellington so there is some conjecture that the coordinates given for Pepe at 0600 today were not accurate. Pete informs me that they can see a boat flying a red spinnaker, not sure if it's Pepe or Midnight Express and the eyes are a bit tired so they can't make out a sail number through the glasses. Either way it sounds as though the competitive instincts are still well and truly alive onboard Nonstop, they now hope to make it in around sunset tonight. They'll be looking forward to a nice roast dinner that Jenny and Sue are just starting to prepare now. Indications from Pete are that it got quite nasty overnight with breaking 3m swells forcing them to sail very conservatively to look after the crew and the boat. More info as it comes to hand so stay tuned to a computer somewhere near you.

cheers,

Duncan

To quote Alice in Wonderland things are "curiouser and curiouser" as my finish line patrol inform me that both Coppelia and Zindabar are finished but there is still no sign of Pepe. With the bit firmly between their teeth Pete and Mark are making good time on their kite ride down the Mana coastline looking for any sign of breeze to hasten their progress to the finish. It would seem that the position given by Pepe at 0600 may not have been accurate so the guys are still in the dark as to Pepe's whereabouts. It's now a case of sailing their own race and using their local knowledge of the entrance to Wellington to ensure the best possible finish to what has been a very long and exhausting leg. At least they have the thought of a comfortable bed ahead of them tonight, unlike some of the other boats still on the water and looking at another 20 hours or so out there before they too can enjoy the feel of a comfortable bed. Added to the pressure on all the boats from here on in will be those all important checks on the major elements of the boat which may have been affected by the battering taken in the last five days. Rig, rudder, keel and sails will all need the once over and it's sometimes difficult to find the motivation to address these issues when sleep is so attractive. Stay online, plenty more info to come today.

cheers,

Duncan

Just got word from Sue and Jenny on Wellington's south coast, Nonstop and Pepe are rounding Sinclair Head together engaged in a tacking duel. It's still a long way to the finish so there's one certainty, there will be four very tired individuals onboard those two boats once the finish line arrives. It's shaping up to be quite a finish to the leg.

cheers,

Duncan

Pepe currently holds a 26 second advantage over Nonstop, still a fair distance to the finish line.

cheers,

Duncan

Leg 2 finish line, Nonstop in sight. Seems to be heading off Clear Vision (Young 11, Div 3) and Pepe at this stage, exciting stuff.

cheers

Duncan

Nonstop takes the gun as first Div 4 boat across the line in leg 2, still no other boats in sight from the finish line. Well Done Pete, Mark and Nonstop, an amazing effort. Now it's rest time after 5 days 9 hours and about 15 minutes of racing. At least they're in the marina now, spare a thought for the crews who have yet another night on the water in front of them. More detailed update on the way once the boys have some rest.

cheers,

Duncan

Just had a quick catch up with Pete and he's understandably chuffed with the leg 2 line honours win for Nonstop. After that amount of time at sea he's sounding quite tired and looking forward to making best friends with his pillow later tonight. While the leg was a tough one he said the key for Nonstop was sailing conservatively, preserving the boat and crew in the best possible state. Last night especially was a rough one with 3m seas breaking it was wet, choppy and ugly. Apart from the backstay issues they have had no major problems on this leg (although going up the mast in the dark off Cape Reinga doesn't sound like my idea of fun). More details tomorrow after the guys have had a heap of sleep but right now you'll probably catch up with them at race HQ for a quick rum or two before they go for a long snooze.

cheers

Duncan

Photos from the weekend's finishes...

Coppelia were in next to no breeze for about an hour and a half...

post-3053-141887174716.jpg

before the northerly finally kicked in to carry them last 2 miles home.

post-3053-141887174718.jpg

So having had an average experience at A &E and not being convinced about diagnosis I have been to the doctor at home today to find out I have 3 broken lateral vertabrae.

They are the little ones that apparently come out the sides in my lower thorasic.

Apparently quite hard to xray and commonly missed with out good quality machines

Not recommended to do a lot for up to 8 weeks so I wont even get to have a good send home.

Dave tiller is going to bring the boat home from new plymouth for me next weekend so I can finally relax knowing that its safe and will be home soon.

Its going to be a good prize giving everyone will have some solid stories.

Archived