2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

splashprincess

Hello from sunny Nelson! It does seem a little odd that we set out for a race around the north island and end up in the south island. A big night on top of a hard few days beating down the west coast. Looking at the scheds were going Ok so its even more of a shame not to be able to finish the race. Congrats to all of those that have completed the leg and commiserations to those that had to pull-out. Thanks also to everyone that has sent messages of support via our Facebook page.

We were trucking south from Taranaki with the JT up doing 9kts+ in 12-15kts of breeze and bang on course for Wellington. Then the wind went on the nose so JT down and #3 up cos we new it would build. Wind builds more so in goes the first reef, sea still pretty flat, wind builds more so in goes the deep second reef, making good progress and still on course for Welly. Then the sea state changed and got ugly really quickly, swell from two directions and very messy. We were starting to really crash over the waves so kept feathering up to slow the boat down when we needed to. The sea continued to get worse and the wind was now 25 gusting 30. A few nasty sets of breaking waves come through and the boat was just crashing through them as there was nothing at the back of the waves. We would go up the wave and then punch out into thin air. When we fell out of one really big one, the boat stopped and the rig kept going. Bang!

It looks like one of the rod terminals on the cap shroud exploded and the the rig snapped clean through below the first spreader. We got the top of the rig lashed to the boat so that it wasn't slapping the hull and then worked quickly to get all of the halyards and shrouds free. The headsail was over the side and full of water. The main tore in half and was flogging. The wind was up to 40kts and probably 4m waves now so as soon as we had everything ready to go we sent the whole lot over the side with minimal damage to the boat.

When the rig first went over I put out a pan-pan call to maritime radio so that the new we were in the sh*t. A 50m fishing boat offered to stand-on if needed and then a German voice on the radio also offering to stand-on if we need further assistance.... it was the skipper of the Queen Mary II, all 345m of her! I reckon he could of just gone to windward of us and we would have flat calm sea and no wind. Nice to know there were plenty of boats nearby if things got worse. Channel 16 was busy the whole night with RNI boats getting into trouble and/or turning back to New Plymouth.

Once we were confident that there was nothing over the side that would foul the prop we started motoring towards Stephens Island as it was the closest shelter. 1hr into the motor the engine died. Having recently had some trouble with the diesel tank I went straight to the Racor filter which was looking a bit mucky and turned out to be full of crap, this is out of a tank that has been professionally cleaned three times... grrrr! I changed both diesel filters but there was no point using the main tank any more as we had a long motor ahead and no more filters. I rigged up the fuel lines to run directly from a small jerry can that I lashed infront of the engine then had to bleed the whole lot through and got going after about another hour. Feeling very green after sniffing diesel and sloshing around in bilge water for an hour while continuing to get smacked by breaking 4m waves some of them right over the boat.

We carried on towards Stephens Island approx 35NM away and that was about the limit of the emergency fuel we had on board. Maritime radio were keeping a close eye on us and put out the call to find us some more fuel. They put us in touch with a fishing vessel that was about 10NM west of Stephens Island so we headed for them and they started steaming our way once they got their net in. They had stabilisers out so we had to approach their stern and they through us a line. Funniest part of the whole thing actually... the guy on the back of the boat needed some weight in the line to heave it so he tied on a little sand shark and then chucked it at Matt! Then he sent over a 20L diesel container and tied on a decent sized snapper for good measure. We sent a jerry can back on the line and they filled that up and sent it back so we had plenty of diesel. The skipper on the fishing boat told us to give him a call if we had anymore grief as they'd be out in bay somewhere. Bloody good guys and I'm really grateful for their help.

It was still shitty weather in cook strait and flat calm in Tasman bay so we made the call to head for Nelson and had a very pleasant motor up the bay. Even had time to start cleaning up the mess and left it it to the autopilot to drive us home. I called the harbour master on the way and was directed to the visitors berth in the marina where we are tucked up safe and sound. My lovely wife had found us somewhere to stay so we had a good feed a couple of rums and then slept like logs. Today we've had a help from a couple crew.org'rs which is very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hi to Woodsy and Gazza on P-favours.

By the time you get this you will be tied up.

Congratulations on a great effort. All three Kerikeri boats are safe and well.

The rest of us were enjoying a Q.L.D today out on the deck and thinking of you all.

Glad to say the Twister is still sitting on her trailer and the crew are pleased about that !!!.

Pete you could have a bit of work later getting some boats back to where they belong.

Good luck for the next leg. If there is two guys with the guts to stick it out it is you guys.

Congrats to all who have made it to Wellintown.. Enjoy !! it is a cool place to party !!

Well done.

From the team at Kerikeri.

looks like things are heating up............. looks likke 7 boats have pulled out now....out of 36 ... thats almost 25% after 2 days of ..... "Shaw 9 Karma Police about 11 miles further back. Yesterday evening Karma Police reported winds of 15-20 knots on the nose and moderate seas." surely our good old kiwi boats are made of sterner stuff?...

damn....i should be out there on Oracle....she would be loving this weather....

Now 50%? Is not lumpy and 40 standard fair for west coast and down there?

Why so high, crew or boats?

Catch up time again - Vesper finished and now in Queens Wharf. Physical Favours and Caro Vita finished ahead of them and Island Girl next.

Sorry been too busy getting these boats into their berths for the night to keep up with posting.

SOL heard from OpenCountry yesterday evening (UK time) just as she was leaving New Plymouth:

wow WHAT A RACE!

We were in a good position anfd likely to score well! butr the seas and swells were taking their toll on both boat and crew!

A hard decision to turn and run - but better to stay safe!

Our plan is to finish in one piece!

From WLG its a new race - but he weather is not looking good for that either - we will re evaluate before the3 start and start on our own terms. thks all on SOL for the wonderful support.

Cheers.

According to OC's position on the SOL game screen she is entering Cook Strait (at 41.13S / 174.47E).

:thumbup:

Very impressed with those pics Fineline - even your emergency fuel system is a tidy effort. :thumbup:

What's the plan - re-rig in Wellington or truck her home and re-launch in Auckland?

Hmmm wonder if there are any good specials on carbon at the moment... :wink:

Archived