2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 2

splashprincess

Latest from SSANZ site..

26 Feb 2011

LATEST: More withdrawals overnight on leg 2

Seven more yachts have withdrawn from the second leg of the SSANZ Round the North Island two-handed race, after a night of 40 knot southerly winds. Young 11 Fineline has dismasted and is heading for Stephens Island, while Bon Chanse, Caro Vita, Fiction (which has keel problems), Ilex and Mix T Motions are all heading for shelter in New Plymouth. Clear Vision is heading for Port Hardy on D?Urville Island for shelter.

Beneteau 47.7 Surreal has some rudder damage after hitting a whale but is continuing to Wellington.

Race director David Cooke says many of the crews who have withdrawn are tired and need a rest after nearly five days on the wind in rough seas.

Only two boats have finished the leg: Akatea, which finished around 3pm yesterday, and M1, which finished at 21.41 last night. The next finisher is expected to be Beneteau 50 Bird on the Wing, followed by Second Nature and Karma Police.

Both Laissez Faire and Second Nature have reported engine problems and will require a tow once finished the leg in Wellington.

A gale warning is still in force for the Cook Marine area, with the southerly forecast to abate to 20 knots this morning.

Seven other yachts have previously withdrawn from this leg: Danaide, which withdrew with steering and rudder problems, is sheltering in Whangamumu and heading back to Auckland; Zen retired due to injury and has arrived in New Plymouth; Mr Roosevelt, which was dismasted and has been towed to Manakau across the bar; Andar, which had keel problems and is now in New Plymouth; Truxton, which has an injured crewmember but not serious, and is now in New Plymouth; and The Night Train, which is returning to Auckland after suffering hull damage.

Its still all on for the fleet out there.

I am so glad to be on land. I didn't break any bones but the swelling on my spine and bone bruising is unreal sore and I couldn't have imagined how pain full it would have been if we were still out there.

4-5 weeks before the swelling will have gone down enough to be pain free so the truxton will be tied up for a while yet.

If I hadn't of been harnessed on I would be dead. The wave that got me launched me clean over the side of the boat. Then there was a couple minutes of yelling for help as I was pinned under water on the leward rail. folded in half.

Rob did a fantastic job getting out of bed and pulling me aboard. He had to drive the boat for the next 6hrs straight untill day break when we decided what to do next. I gave it a couple hours to see if I would improve but the relentless pounding was no good.

We then headed for new plymouth and tacked to starboard. oh sh*t 185miles. Robs birthday friday and the dissapointment was unreal. No happy hour to celebrate a great adventure. Just sad and gutted. I spent next day on the floor and did the odd 1 hr shift but I just couldn't support my own weight and sitting on the floor steering was agony. Put on the auto pilot for a while untill we discovered the motor was full of water and couldn't charge batterys or get any radio contact. again oh sh*t still 145 miles to go.

Battled our way to shore and I cant thank the locals and ssanz guys enough for their efforts. messages of support have been great and its good to know other people know how we feel and are out the offering support.

best of luck to the rest of the fleet its been as tough as so far and I hope it gets better.

The boys are going to pull the motor apart today and try to get it going before we leave town.

All I can do is take it easy for 4 weeks and then hope to get the boat hope.

Sad day for the truxton but all alive and no serious structual damage so could call ourselves lucky.

The actual sailing was going well and all our preparation seemed to pay off.

Maybe next time? definately be there for round new zealand next year.

Heading to the yacht club soon to see the rest of the fleet that have stopped in.

skins out.

From boys and girls at Fineline...

Just spoke to Hamish - yes they have been dismasted & running low on fuel. Him and Matt are ok but gutted & not enjoying the slog! They've rigged up a jerry can to the engine & heading for Stephens Is (6 hrs away) to shelter. Hope to be meet by Police boat w. more diesel & eventually get to Nelson. Send them good vibes :)

from ssanz

The canting keel Elliott 9m "Overload" has experienced keel issues this morning. The control mechanism for the keel failed but the crew have since managed to restrain and secure the keel. The yacht is now under motor and storm jib and the crew are all ok. Maritime Radio is continuing to monitor the situation.

Second Nature has had a good couple of days to the point they look like they are 4th on line.

Unfortunately they are currently off the entrance of Wellington harbour and not keen to enter in the current conditions without a working engine.

They are talking about heading back to New Plymouth.

Second Nature are now in the Sounds.

They couldn't reef their main any further and were still overpowered. They dropped the main, then could not make any headway upwind to get through the heads.

They are resting at the moment and cleaning the boat up waiting for the wind to die down.

They will head across to Wellington first thing on Sunday morning before the wind is forecast to come up again.

Just heard from Pete on Non Stop. They are trying to beat their way out of Tasman Bay. ETA midday tomorrow at this stage.

A real hard night for them and all yachts out their last night. All is ok onboard would just like the wind and sea to drop a bit.

Kapiti Coastguard have Overload under tow and are making 4 knots towards a sheltered anchorage off Kapiti Island. The tow is currently making 4 knots. The aim is to tow them further south to Mana once the sea state eases.

Archived