BMW have confirmed the following skippers:

The BMW Sailing Cup skippers for the regatta are:

Grant Turnbull

Phil Yuill

Murray Gilbert representing Jerry Clayton BMW

Phil Douglas

Cameron Thorpe

Zane Gifford

So Cameron Thorpe is a regular here and cleaned up the Farr 1020's to get there.

Who can tell us who the others are?

Grant Turnbull and Zane Gifford are both 88ers or ex-88ers - Grant has been at or near the front of the fleet for many years although I think is at the helm of something else now.

Squid

In your position hosting nz's allegedly premier sailing website you should know who all these guys are

Perhaps if you had a slightly less knocking attitude to everything and sort the facts you would

But let me do your job

Can thorpe was first in 1020 phil quill was second both good guys

Grant turnbill won 88's Zane Gifford was top three I think and an ex tanner or tauranga cup winner

Phil Douglas has been at the top of mrxs for 15 years and Murray Gilbert is probably one if the best Flying fifteen sailors in NZ

They are all very good one design sailors in one class or another

To be frank their sailing skill far out weighs your journalistic prowess , your negativity has seriously blighted your view and as a result instead of reporting the story about the event you have chosen to try to belittle the event and take a cheap shot

Take a good look at what you have said and hopefully realize that with any research at all you could have found this out

Very disappointing

Jeeze John K. That's a bit harsh. What are you specifically referrring to? Knocking attitude to everything?? Haven't seen too much of that from Squid. Some specifics would be handy if you are going to flame like that!

Smithy

Try have they announced the annointed ones?

Or

who can tell us about the others?

I just it could be phrased a little less like they are unknowns

Or some way bad for being selected for being good at what they do

And perhaps some research as to their pedigree could have been done

After all they are all well known names with strong class racing backgrounds

Maybe a little too sensitive there.. Yes, I know a few of those names, but not others. It depends on which circles you mix in I guess.

Personally, I didn't read any negativity in there, just Squid not knowing them.

Sometimes it's easy to read something that isn't there....

I sailed against Phil Douglas in Lasers quite a bit. He was pretty good, and I think took out a couple of Laser Nationals a long time ago. I heard he had moved into MRXs quite a few years ago and was going well.

From the squadron website

BMW Sailing Cup NZL

2nd & 3rd April

Two races completed today after a light breeze filled in this afternoon. Racing will continue tomorrow (Sunday).

The winner of the New Zealand BMW Sailing Cup will go to the 2011 BMW Sailing Cup International Final held in Cascaias Portugal from the 31st May to 5th June.

Today's results (Saturday);

Grant Turnbull 3, 2 - 5pts

Cameron Thorpe 1, 4 - 5pts

Phil Douglas 2, 3 - 5pts

Phil Yuill 6, 1 - 7pts

Zane Gifford 4, 6 - 10pts

Murray Gilbert 5, 5 - 10pts

For further information view www.bmwaucklandregatta.co.nz

well said johnk, someone had to do it.

Our main man the squid seems to sometimes struggle with choice between the inevitable forum dwelling knocker (much easier to moan about it on the internet than get out there and do it) and anything close to journalism / investigation / reporting of dare I say the word, 'facts'.

Thanks for the copy/paste from the organisers website though.

I did - I posted

"Who can tell us who the others are?"

on theis forum - had the answer I wanted within minutes, definitely the fastest and most efficient method I could think of.

So JohnK; when the announcement was made for the Cup entries,

Q1). Was a small profile of each skipper included in the news release?

Q2). Any small profiles on key crew members that the skippers' reply upon?

I took a punt the MRX's never travel far from home so aimed at Westhaven, Bingo, found them.

Breeze up towards the end there so they had their hands full. Some good pre-start action and tight sailing. The best starter seem to be the winner mostly but it was all very close all the same with everyone keeping the other on their toes. No big gaps seen, it was all very tight. Some great crew work, the odd hiccup though. One boats crew got quite animated at the end of the last race so I guess they won.

One point of interest for next years event - All I saw was Halls racing KPMG racing Ovlov racing MGE Marine. I couldn't tell who was on what boat. It would have been good if the boats had skippers names on them, even if I have no idea who 2 of them are. But whoever was on them did seem to be having fun.

And very good to see a Fullers Cat do a dramatic course change, slow right down and slide along very close to the breakwater to stay off the track, more than can be said for many others. Well done that Ferry driver.

For those knot watching a couple of snaps

post-646-141887176523.jpg

post-646-141887176526.jpg

post-646-141887176528.jpg

Paulr

Dude does it really matter

Get real does it matter who is in the crew or what the skipper has done

Seriously mate are you that important you have to know all this detail and if you don't it means the event is a failure

As a comparison I have little or no knowledge about the quarter ton regatta the other week that you appear to have sailed in buy it didn't stop me enjoying the reports or working out everyone had fun

Take your hand off it long enough to stop finding an angle to be negative about it

Listen if squid wants to know a simple call to the race office would get all the info he needed to have the scoop

The delving into innane detail and criticism of everthingbon this sight seriously limits it's audience

This was a great event with fun had by all and should be recognize as such

I think anyone who gets to sail at that level can be regarded as good. It's a hard place to get too just by being lucky, contrary to what one or 2 said to us when we won the Keelboat Nats.

Mind you those two did finish behind us ;)

So Team GT is now off to ?? for the world series I'm guessing?

Where and when it that, anyone know?

Archived