BMW Entrys

B00B00

KM, I have no idea what you are talking about!

If I were to adopt the attitude that comes through on your post I would never get out of bed.

as great as it would be to have 10x seperate classes out there, 1020, 930s, 88s, sr26, s34s, upto26, piedy and so on, they all have the same crew on them.

Especially so when boats want to make the step up from weds night mode to 'regatta' mode.

We're struggling to get crew for the 88, anyone want to sail Sat?.

Best chance of getting all the classes out there would be too make anything less than 35ft sail 3 handed, but not sure of thats the go...

Agree wholeheartedly re the phrf comments above, the 'rule' / system is just not up to it.

RNZYS and BBYC have made the start by co-operating, the next step needs to be getting Rich, Pons, GH, and so on involved.

Agree on the crew point.... There doesn't seem to be enough active sailors for the boats out there...and or crew that know each boat REALLY well.

Smokey when we race pulls crew from 3-4 other boats at least.....and I crew with other boats fairly regularly.

So part of the numbers problem may be Incest....We need to broaden the gene pull out further!

. . . agree not to hold racing in the 2 weeks before and the week after the regatta. in that way the clubs boats could be made ready and would be busting to race, and the clubs would all work to a common goal

the idea of a week off either side is not for the squaddie to do what they want,

It seems you keep changing , , , 2 before + 1 week after = 3 weeks

BUT

now only a week off either side = 2 weeks.

Be that as it may, I think one event having all the class championships together would be a good idea and if sponsored by BMW, then fine with me. No personal axe to grind but if an event is being promoted "above" normal class racing, then more details should be supplied as discussed earlier.

I still believe it is terribly arrogrant that one or two clubs would ask all other clubs to CANCEL all their racing because they have a combined event on in three weekends (two weeks) time.

Comments about Cowes weeks. Yes valid & having raced in 3 Cowes Weeks including the 2 Admirals Cup years, the idea of clubs combining their efforts for a BIG event is very good indeed.

Still I have moved on and will be out there racing tomorrow :thumbup:

See you out there :!:

Many people seem to want a hook.

There are a couple of classes that have introduced leaders spinnakers which is good. But rather than that why not have a battle flag for each race winner. Start doing well and start flying those on the forestay out to the racecourse, big sponsors logo, look at me...

Surely the hook would be "I won a race/class etc in BMW Auckland Regatta, here is my winners flag and all the bragging rights that go with it".

And that would be enough.

If there is a general consensus that this could be a worth while pursuit then the next question would be "who has the bollocks to take it on", run with it and produce a quality event which has the result of good for entrants and good for the sponsor. It would be criminal to let BMW walk away. Someone somewhere must lead the revolution or it will be more a question of rueing the day lethargy took over.

My 5c for what it's worth.

Let's remember that the Squadron had the premier regatta for many years " The Air NZ Regatta" which was great and well run. It survived the many comings and goings of rating rules Ior, irc, Ims, Orc ..... But for some reason these rules all died eventually.

One of the significant issues now is that there is no rating rule of any value. The idiots running Irc effectively alienated all NZ race boats when they overly penalized canters, water balast, square tops and anything that makes your boat go fast. Under Irc your options are to slow your boat down so it will sail to it's rating, and or spend lots of money on new boats that can win for a season of two as the big money in Ausie does. Unfortunately the NZ scene is a little more discerning with their spend, and the BMW idicates the move to multis. In Irc here the best placed to win are the older, optimized cruiser racers, not the speedsters, hence the lack of interest by most.

And as someone has pointed out phrf doesn't work. If you want to win on phrf find the regularly worst sailed boat and put a decent crew on. The more consistent a boat is the worse you do in phrf and I'm sure we all know boats who throw races running into regattas.

Have prizes for the fastest 30,35, 40 and open boats. That and within divisions as many class champs as possible.

The BMW appears at risk of failing the sponsors and I guess that if nothing else this discussion is healthy. We would have entered but there is effectively no A div fleet.

We now have an established BOI regatta which is going ok if declining a little in the A&B keelboat divisions. It is time it moved off the shitty wharf but it has an established place in the calendar. I think most want this to stay.

At this time of year it is hard to lure people away from work, but one day should be doable but there is no real event. Until the Regatta has a focal point where all division can meet and tell the days lies, it will languish. If some of the sponsors money was spent on a shed in the Viaduct or a big tent somewhere with bars, music........wine woman and song... It would make a huge difference to the general appeal.

And what about tying in some dingy nationals and getting them there too. Obviously racing on a different track but back to the shed for a BBQ and chat, three free drinks each day for each competitor. It could be the main annual Auckland Sailing event.

Here we are we see fleets of hundreds in opti's, but by the time they are teens we have lost 90% of them. What is wrong with this picture.

If YNZ was serious about furthering the sport they would put some real effort into retention in the sport not just a hand full of elite. The dingy youth need to see how they continue in the sport, link into bigger boats and discover rum.

Shihad, Vodafone cheerleaders, BBQ and some free drinks each night you would be overflowing with takers...

sh*t I'd be there anyway.

We are losing 90% of young sailors as teenagers, and the keelboat fleets can't find crew - anyone else see a solution here?

Honestly that is exactly how you put people off sailing for the rest of their life!

The reason the keelboats can't get crew is because it is so mind numbingly boring for 75% of the crew, 75% of the time.

Yeah - force teenagers into sailing at gunpoint. Make them do something that exists in the real world vs their make believe world on their iPhone.

That being said the 15 teenagers who came out at Weiti last night had a blast and I believe a few of them are coming back for more!

We are losing 90% of young sailors as teenagers, and the keelboat fleets can't find crew - anyone else see a solution here?

Honestly that is exactly how you put people off sailing for the rest of their life!

The reason the keelboats can't get crew is because it is so mind numbingly boring for 75% of the crew, 75% of the time.

Could always try making them welcome, look at the Weiti BC inviting all the exchange students. Go to the local dinghy club and invite their ten top under 17 sailors to pick 2-3 others and put them on the MRX's with a blend of regulars for a couple of races. Or something.

I agree, last night as we were cruising upwind at around double the boatspeed of the next boat I was just lying on the leeward tramp thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. No fuss...

I withdraw my comment about possible no good racing for us. I just found out they tweaked the Divisions and in doing so it changed what would have been 'our fleet'. Had we known that earlier it would have made a significant difference to our thinking.

The entry form was a little vague as to whether we would be 'traditional' or 'lightweight', to be honest that didn't help.

The new Div does seem to be a nice mix though and the results are showing they are mixing it up very nicely and spreading around the love, so to speak, which is damn good. That is something we certainly regard as very important for us personally and something we do look at prior to entering anything. We don't like follow the leader or just follow us, that game gets boring fast.

So ignore that bit I said previously, I've just been proved wrong, sort of.... which I'm very happy about by the way.

Which raises the point, maybe next year go 1 Div (talking just this years Div D here) and if there are 100 boats arriving for it then maybe look at splitting it rather than the way it happened this year. It could be noted in the NOR and/or SI's that may happen. Just a thought.

I haven't read all this, only enough to get the gist but Bull is pretty much on the money in my view. What about linking the existing Auckland Regatta format, with Sail Auckland. This creates great social opportunities, a lot of prestige, a massive race course. For us in big boat classes, it aligns our success at the regatta, with the top high performance sailors.

It takes a massive amount of energy to get a regatta like this up and running - unless you'd tried to start something like this, you would have no idea.

Going back to what I wrote earlier about getting the different class associations together, the quarter tonners are already planning next year and looking to add two divisions of half tonners:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16236

Combine the associations and you would create something major!

Archived