Today I Learned

The GPS satellites are further from the earth than the space station. Far enough that they experience a different space/time than earth. So time goes faster for them. So. Their time is corrected according to Einstein s general theory of relativity before launch.

This whole thing about Space/time being warped by gravity completely does my head in, I accept it but I simply cant visualise or grasp it.

Quote from the interweb

" Time measures speed, while gravity does all the work. When a clock is in a stronger field of gravity, the atoms in the clock feel the pressure of more mass. The force of gravity slows down the frequency of atoms, a clock slows down, and the time on a clock has time dilation.

On 22/02/2024 at 5:34 PM, Black Panther said:

So time goes faster for them. 

The GPS satellites are also impacted by special relativity which says the faster you go the slower time passes.   But they aren't going fast enough to cancel out the effects of gravity... So overall time goes faster (relative to us mortals). 

On 22/02/2024 at 5:34 PM, Black Panther said:

The GPS satellites are further from the earth than the space station. Far enough that they experience a different space/time than earth. 

The iss is also affected by less gravity, but is going so fast that special relativity cancels out the gain from less gravity and overall time goes slower. (Again relative to us mortals.)

I don't have a clue why, like I know the earth is flat, it just is ;)