coming to a bay near you mark 2

Steve Pope

nearly.....

The number of baddies trying to get into or stuff into US, Aussie and others is large hence they have large amounts of waterborne people trying to stop them.

Totally agree the amount trying to get into NZ is knot large, but they are definitely there, hence we only have a small number. About 6-8 for the entire top 1/2 of the North Island I think. About 1/3 of a crew on just one of the 100's of US CG patrol craft.

I'm struggling to see why some are quibbling about the cost of that massive bunch or for one or 2 of us being stopped and asked a couple of quick questions, baring in mind what the potential downsides to the country are by having a totally open border to everything?

If you get searched, and as yet knot one person has proffered the slightest hint that has actually happened to a average kiwi coastal cruiser, it would be for a reason and I'd suggest a relatively good reason. I seriously doubt they'd do it just for fun.

But Mr Squidly I fully understand you 'creeping government bollix' comments, I just think there are far larger fish to fry than the boat dudes. They aren't doing anything today they weren't a decade ago.

Tinkle me Murky when you find one, I'd be in for a bit of that action, it sounds like a bit of fun and have at least one kid who could write off a decent sized boat in 15mins odd :thumbup:

And I did it :thumbup:

One mission for the week accomplished, with Thanks going out to Mr 'I Can't help myself' Murky, a team of assembled Crewers and it goes without saying but I will, Mr Squidly.

And I did it :thumbup:

Well done.

Tinkle me Murky when you find one, I'd be in for a bit of that action, it sounds like a bit of fun and have at least one kid who could write off a decent sized boat in 15mins odd :thumbup:

I need you to call me on the VHF and say you have run out of gun oil and do I still have that litre pack. :lol:

Although knowing your boat's history, are you confident that it will stand up to being tested for traces of drug residue?

Although knowing your boat's history, are you confident that it will stand up to being tested for traces of drug residue?

Absolutely

Knot :?

- SR to Murky Chl16

- Murky here, go Chl 8

- G'day Murky, wanna come shoot some M16's?

- Where are you?

- Some bay up north. There is some dicks in a big RIB that look like they are harassing all the anchored cruisers, we can use them as target practice.

- This is NZ Maritime Radio, please identify yourselves.

- G'day Maritime, Mr Squid here, what the f*ck you annoy me for you w^&#$@r.....

Motor at high revs heard in the background :lol:

"The recent change in the law that allows many agencies access to you and anything they like of yours without warning, warrant, wearing a uniform or even having to tell you they have been. Cool don't ya think."

I dont think Knotme is going to help me here.Can anyone else confirm what he is saying?His statement is so vague I dont know where to search.I find it hard to believe anything like that could happen without an uproar.I imagine some people here might think I am some kind of radical anarchist agitator but I have never been a member of a civil rights movement or taken part in a public protest.I have seen the civil rights people outraged over many minor things affecting a few individuals and I cant believe what Knotme said went past them.

Really don't want to be the one to break this to you - it's been a bad week already:

Council for Civil Liberties article in the New Zealand Herald

The Human Rights Commissioner, also in the Herald

And the Privacy Commissioner, also in the Herald

These are all since October.

You got it, they all thought it sucked.

Now I am depressed. Doubly so because I am beginning to see KM's stupid point that what's happening on the water is no worse by comparison. Ground, swallow me up :sick:

Yeah what Murky said.

I was trying to find a good article I read about just what they could get away with, which I found very scary, but have yet to put my finger on it. In the herald about 10-14 days ago I think, probably a weekend day as that's about the only time I get to read papers in any depth. The suss continues.

Searched 'civil rights' and man oh man there is lots new bits to wade through when you do that. Some good, some bad and some just nasty. Some of the civil rights dudes have been kicking up a stink but it seems to be knot grabbed by mainstream news.

Nonam, I am equally surprised bugger all has been said about it, very surprised. Maybe the population have come to realise the Pollies only listen (or pretend too) to us for 3 months every 3 years. Sad isn't it.

Agree I could have mentioned that bit in the above bits in a more detailed or better way. But I got 6 pages :thumbup:

Might not be too bad if you can get something for the cruising kitty.

Ignoring strong protests from family members, police went ahead with a search, the officer in charge commenting "We often get it wrong, but while we're here, we might as well have a look around." The Court of Appeal disagreed, awarding substantial damages.

Now I am depressed. Doubly so because I am beginning to see KM's stupid point that what's happening on the water is no worse by comparison. Ground, swallow me up :sick:

Don't stress big fella, I can drive most people knuts sooner or later so you are far from alone ;)

I had the misfortune to be in a bar in Welly about 5 years ago when it got raided by the police for drug dealing (over the bar apparently).

I've got no problem with this. What i did object to was closing off all exits and making every punter in the place empty their pockets and have their ID taken down.

Anyone that actually had anything on them had plenty of time to stuff it down couches etc, so was a totally pointless exercise.

It was probably within their "rights" to do so, but a PR disaster for them. The Police complain about the public having a poor attitude to them, but those sorts of stunts do them no favours.

The officers were pretty rude about it, and got upset when they got my opinion on their behavior as I left.

The people who I was with gave me a bit of ribbing for my attitude and sharp exit to avoid further discussion, but after a think realised they were affronted by it as well.

As I said at the time, it's too late to complain now.

Lies , bullshit and scare mongering as part of a begging letter to govt so they can have new planes and boats "with military capabilities" - these guys scare the bejeesus out of me.

What got to me was the attitude towards "small craft" (that's us). We are a danger to be controlled, guilty till proven innocent.

But go ahead - tell us what you know, but please be specific.

I read that whole report , about 50 pages of it, and they referred to a total of three incidences involving "small craft" over about 30 years, but they were referred to several times, creating the impression that there is some great problem out there.

Lies: "a dispute over formal safety requirements that saw many depart without formal clearance". The dispute was because NZ tried to impose an illegal law on them. One boat left without clearing, came back and turned himself in , in order to get the issue before the courts. They won and MNZ were told to pull their heads in.

Here's another scary bit: the deterrents to non compliance are insufficient - watch out.

There's a saying 'round these parts...

"Citation needed"

Most of the above is here-say and Romulus, and it's a pity that that is what the law is based on! :cry:

Imagine the benefit of NZ CUstoms actually talking to yachties and finding the best way to stop illegal trafficking while making it easy to benefit economically from the ever increasing number of cruisers.

SHANE

Slightly off topic, but remember the advance notice thing that got under my skin, here's what happened when they tried it in parts of the Caribbean (from the Caribbean Compass)

Island by Island

As this issue of Compass goes to press, the current situation to the best of our knowledge is as follows.·

Antigua & Barbuda, which had been asking yacht skippers to go to an internet café and fill out APIS forms this summer under its Immigration and Passport (Amendment) Act, 2007, has now suspended enforcement of this requirement for all yachts.·

St. Kitts and Nevis are not applying an APIS requirement at the moment and according to a correspondent have no plans to do so in the immediate future: "They think it would cause confusion among the yachts. They particularly appreciate that the 24-hour rule cannot work for them with yachts coming from non-API islands like St. Barts."·

In Dominica, "this would not be implemented any time soon," according to one official. Dominica, being located between the non-API islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique, would be especially vulnerable to the 24-hour rule.·

St. Lucia has not yet enforced its APIS legislation either, and Keats Compton, as President of the Marine Industry Association of St. Lucia, is writing to the Prime Minister and the Minister of Tourism formally requesting the suspension of St. Lucia's Immigration Act of 2007 as it applies to yachts.·

St. Vincent & the Grenadines Immigration officers asked yachts to fill out APIS forms online for a brief period in October, and one or more boats arriving from Grenada waters were reportedly turned away at Union Island because they hadn't filed API forms before leaving Grenada. However, Melodye Pompa of the Caribbean Safety & Security Net says that yachts clearing out of Union Island have not reported any mention of APIS. The issue of API for yachts is set to be the top agenda item for an October 29th meeting of SVG's Tourism Advisory Board.·

Grenada has not enforced its Immigration (Amendment) Act of 2007 in regard to yachts.·

Trinidad & Tobago's legislation requiring APIS enforcement expired on June 30th and has not been renewed.

With relatively little visiting yacht traffic, especially at this time of year, we've had no feedback from Guyana, Barbados or Jamaica.

Basically they dumped the whole load of crap as being unworkable after serious lobbying by the marine industry

Just had a week on a mates boat, Great Barrier and then Bon Accord Kawau just ahead of the big dump of rain and wind. My "mates" on the Hawk arrived at breakfast time and sidled up to another boat next door, a Robert Perry double ender owned by a Kiwi mate. They were once again polite, they told the owner the boat was built in Taiwan, then asked the questions re the boats history etc, they had a camera and photographed the boat and owner and crew while they were talking, then went on their way. I was on a Lidguard design (not Gwalarn otherwise it might have been visit No. 6) and they totally ignored us. Foreign boat with all the ocean cruising accoutrements gets inspected, Kiwi cruiser racer, no fruit, left alone.

Hmmmm. Not sure that I agree with Customs randomly taking my picture. OK when entering NZ at the airport, but not when I'm out for a cruise.

Next thing IRD have the pic, and when they're investigating my dodgy tax return say " What about this undeclared asset of a 40ft yacht Mr. Smith? On Monday, 24th May, 2010, you stated to customs officer M T M Jobsworth that you were the right and lawfull owner of Yacht 'Taxfree' and here is a supporting evidential photo".

Far fetched? You think?? KNOT...

Ahhh Smithy, too late. The IRD already have your photo and do that now, have for a while.

Besides you have already posted more than enough stuff on the interweb for them to know your dodgy ;) :lol:

Archived