coming to a bay near you mark 2

Steve Pope

I have to agree with KM (OMFG! :shock: )

Generally speaking I don't have a problem with being stopped, questioned and perhaps even searched.

On the Proviso that they are polite, inform me of my rights and treat me and my property with respect.

What REALLY gets my goat is the US style bully boy tactics of being armed, on unmarked boats and boarding without asking. In that situation I would probably make a Mayday call! :-)

SHANE

The one thing I think is sad for the US and hope never takes place in NZ, is that these so called security people's first task is to check the seacocks on your waste system and if the seacocks are not in the correct position and tied off, you get a huge fine. Sure waste management is important, but not that it takes priority over everything else. From the stories I hear, sometimes that is the only real thing that is checked. A little over kill to have armed people stormtroop on board just to check your Toilet Seacock.

I'll see if I can find the time and more details on the boat people that got nabbed.

The stopping part I don't mind, searching without reason I do, but that doesn't appear to be happening here. It is elsewhere for sure and that is not on. Some of the reports out of the US are spooky. Boats pulling up alongside at 3am and 1/2 dozen dudes piling aboard yachts completely unannounced. Won't be long before someone wakes up and whips out a gun in defence. Bang bang and all of a sudden it gets very nasty.

Just about the time we were leaving a fisherman pulled a handgun on the coastguard, he was sick of being interrupted in his work to be "inspected".

Also some nasty stories of boats being boarded in the wee hours while the owners are asleep below while tied to the marina.

Have to say I find the concept of illegal immigrants swarming into NZ on sailboats hard to swallow. Where would they have come from? Aussies just fly over, Islanders to the north don't generally own sailboats. Your average cruiser wouldn't risk having the boat impounded by doing anything so silly. The closest I can come up with is Indonesia. Don't know of many sailboats doing a non stop from Jakarta to Auckland.

That's the same guy that used a tourist map to navigate here in a 20 foot trailer sailer. The locals took pity on him after he had crossed the Manukau Bar and shouted him a truck ride to the Waitemata.

And don't forget that Bligh sailed from mid Pacific to Indonesia in an 18' open boat. Necessity is the mother of invention and I'd imagine you'd be keen to try anything in some of these places they are bailing out of.

Not exactly a swarm, but wasn't there a Russian solo a year or two back, had a minor navigational difficulty with the Manukau vs. the Waitamata harbours if I recall?

And a very seriously hot dancer of a girlfriend. She was a stunner of the 1st order. Having lunch with them one day and she was describing how it got so hot she spend days with no cloths on. Apart from having to empty a glass of iced water over my head I could also see why the dudes navigation was so off, too much time studying the wrong bumps and lumps :lol:

Five pages now and no one can quote even one instance of the water police nailing a serious villain.Not one significant drug bust for years so the defenders say that is evidence that the policy is working.If you believe that you believe anything.Its a waste of taxpayer resources.Sure,we should have a navy and they should have boats and do something.But not "practicing" on citizens.These water police are ripping us off if they dont come up with some real crims real soon.But I suspect their attitude is "screw your rights,as long as I get payed and me and mine are ok".

:lol: :lol: That would make a lot more sense if you were going off about the right people nonam. It's NZ Customs and Biosecurity, knot the police.

Why don't you drive at 200km every where noname. As you believe deterrents don't work that obviously means it's knot because you see police cars on the road so what is the reason?

'Screw your rights'. The big bollix statement I've heard all month. Mate, your rights have just been jambed so far up your arse I'm surprised your eyes are still in their sockets. Haven't heard you say boo about that.

Think for a moment. You are in the game of catching often very clever and sneaky bad dudes. Would it be in your best interest to proclaim to the world 'this is what we do and this is how we do it' or just shut up and quietly get on nailing them?

KM - I'm glad I don't live on your planet, life's much more pleasant here where we aren't surrounded by baddies.

Pretty good that isn't it.

Big Thanks to Border Patrol for doing a great job and keeping the baddies away... from all of us I'm sure :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Screw your rights'. The big bollix statement I've heard all month. Mate, your rights have just been jambed so far up your arse I'm surprised your eyes are still in their sockets. Haven't heard you say boo about that.

I dont know what you refer to Knotme.

I refer to them as water police because they are acting like policemen.And if I am not entering or leaving the country they have no business with me,or Steve Pope.I have no problem with front line policemen in proper uniform and I am willing to co-operate anywhere anytime.

No I dont drive at 200kph but many people are disturbed at night by other people driving illegal cars at dangerous speeds.It seems these people are not deterred by anything.

And you are saying that these "water police" might score a big hit against crims and keep quiet about it?Yeah right!

Becareful out there when the Deodar pulls up along side with a pile of dudes just in blue overalls. Just tell them to piss off or you'll call the cops, I'm sure they won't mind :lol:

The recent change in the law that allows many agencies access to you and anything they like of yours without warning, warrant, wearing a uniform or even having to tell you they have been. Cool don't ya think.

Can I get it to 6? ;)

Aahhhhh I see. it's a deterrent then.

I'll bet all those people smugglers in Indonesia who were planning a 5000 mile open water passage in a small sailboat loaded to the gunwhales with illegal immigrants are reconsidering now they know Steve Pope was "checked out".

Squid, a couple of years back, we did indeed have two boats loaded with people on their way toward NZ waters.

I just don't see the problem with being boarded. It's no different to a Police Road Block testing for DrinkDriving or Rego/Warrants and so on. You just be pleasant. have a quick test and drive on. What about Fisheries officers checking your catch. That is a bigger time waster, but seeing the numbers being caught, it is a necessary Evil. It is not the guys "Policing" we should be angry with. It is the ones breaking the law that creates the need for the Policing that we should all be angry about.

Ok, at the risk of boring everyone to death I'll answer this

Squid, a couple of years back, we did indeed have two boats loaded with people on their way toward NZ waters.

I have searched twice and can find no mention of it, but let's have a look- how many people? over what period of time - meaning how many per decade are trying this? what is the extent of the issue? From your post I assume they never made it - why? did they turn back when they heard Steve Pope had been questioned while anchored off Oakura? Sorry but I just don't think illegal immigrants are swarming to our coast in sailboats.

I just don't see the problem with being boarded. It's no different to a Police Road Block testing for DrinkDriving or Rego/Warrants and so on.

The gov't ( as above let's include all the various agencies) can't search your house without a warrant, pretty sure they need reasonable cause to search your car, yet they can board and search your boat any time, any where , any place for no reason at all. Yes they are being reasonable at the moment, as are Customs with their stupid "tell us when you are going to arrive " nonsense. But I do not have confidence that will always remain the case. All it takes is a change of personnel at the top of the pile. I spoke to Mr Customs some time ago about the above mentioned rule. It was not encouraging - the word zealot comes to mind.

How bad could it get? I was stopped five times in one day travelling from Miami to Ft Lauderdale by four different agencies. As I mentioned earlier a professional fisherman in SF pulled a gun on the CG he was so sick of them harassing him - he had a lot of support.

You just be pleasant.

I'm always pleasant you f*ckwit :lol:

have a quick test and drive on. What about Fisheries officers checking your catch. That is a bigger time waster, but seeing the numbers being caught, it is a necessary Evil. It is not the guys "Policing" we should be angry with. It is the ones breaking the law that creates the need for the Policing that we should all be angry about.

Do I expect to win this? No - we are too big a flock of sheep. But the rate at which this crap is increasing I'm worried that my previous goal of being able to continue enjoying my cruising till I die is a lost cause - I thought the creeping cancer would be slower than it has proven to be, uness of course I just plan on dying sooner - not my favoured option.

To anyone thinking about heading off for the big one, go now it may already be too late.

And I simply don't believe there is that big a threat. Illegal aliens - never, drugs on sailboats- most cruisers would never risk it, a few racers carry stuff around , mostly for their own use - their problem, systematic planned importation on sailboats - pretty rare and pretty easy to pick up without turning us into a police state.

If you want to convince me a serious threat does exist I'll need better than ten year old stories and vague hints.

Question - when was the last time one of these gov't bodies said "hey we don't need to tap private phones anymore, pleased remove that from the rulebook"? It never gets better, only worse.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and we are letting out guard down.

Still not yet six pages, will this get us over the line?

After some reflection, I have developed a strategy which I hope to have the opportunity to put to use over summer - the reverse boarding. This involves seeking out official vessels, hopefully at a time when they are enjoying a quiet moment at the end of a long day burning diesel. I will put the kids in the dinghy, row over and introduce myself as Murky Taxpayer and say we are there for a courtesy visit. Without waiting for an invitation, we will duly board and the kids can mow down their biscuits and lollies, spill a drink in their electronics, re-set all their useful settings on the bridge, wear them down with questions and probably leave a little surprise in their toilet. We are a well-oiled machine having done this on a regular basis to people that we know.

Then back to our own boat to speak loudly to the wife in Indonesian and maybe burn a few incense sticks.

I am looking forward to this! :thumbup: Anyone know where they are going to be? I know, somewhere up Steve Pope's exhaust pipe...

Archived