Young 88 racing

Love it how this thread titled "Young 88 Racing" asking about what 88's are competitive has turned into a my class is better than your class etc. Good drift guys....

Nationals crew weight limit is 616kgs which is average of 88kgs for the 7 max crew - fairly fair based on true classes world wide. Its only for the Nationals & other events are open weight. The boats are weighed when they change hands or are modified, eg new mast, engine, interior, rudder, keel etc. In the last Nats when this was trailed the weight spread was quite tight & statistically weight wasn't related to results proving the effectiveness of the trial. Owners seem to be for it so it continues this year.

I think Bogan is close to the truth on what makes the biggest difference to results.

Although there is a crew that recently changed from a lease MRX to a lease 1020 and have jumped up the fleet immediately on line at Port Nic, so the state of sails is a big factor too maybe.

Nationals crew weight limit is 616kgs which is average of ......... In the last Nats when this was trailed the weight spread was quite tight & statistically weight wasn't related to results proving the effectiveness of the trial. Owners seem to be for it so it continues this year.

Pls explain. If crew weight made no difference to placings then why regulate it??

Imho it has yet to be proven that a 700kg crew is quicker, or slower. Now its regulated we will never know and a bunch of fatties don,t get to go sailing.

Guest Rocket

Quietly confident that fatter is faster as soon as you have a keel.

In dinghys there is generally an optimal weight - have to be able to keep the boat going upwind but generally small is good above the minimum required to keep her sailing.

Bigger guys means less crew to fit under max which isn't a bad thing so long as you still have a light bowman and (generally) a light tough grinder/trimmer. Anyone facing in should be skinny(ish) - that leaves the most weight on the rail at the widest point. It aint rocket science....

yes, this we know, the 2 R's

But - how often have the y88s nats required all weight on the rail? not that often recently. You can be sure a crew with a couple of 130kg guys will not tack quickly for starters.

I still maintain the class has decided that weight limitations are the way to go, and have chose an arbitrary, but nice, 7x88=616kgs, just for the hell of it.

They could have measured the crew weights of the top 3,5, or fleet, for 1 or 2 years, and then decided. Eighty8 said they measured the weight last year, and decided it made no difference. So then why regulate?

Guest mental outlook

Last Nationals required full hike pretty much every race if my memory serves me right. Personally I think regulating the weight is a good thing, fatty's sail with 6, skinnies sail with 7.

I guess it depends on your perspective but from where I sit, the Y88 Association tends to put a lot of thought into changes and do a lot of listening before they make a change. When they do so, they are well prepared for the risk that someone will get bent out of shape.

Best I can find to answer your question is this paragraph from one of the bulletins in March last year:

Nationals Trial crew weigh limit - increase

The committee have decided to increase the maximum allowable crew weight for this years Nationals to 88 kg’s average for 7 crew, totaling 616. A request will be made to the RNZYS to amend the N.O.R to reflect this. Feed-back on this topic has been constructive & extensive which proves how passionate we all are about the class & bringing the hardware as close to equal as possible. This trial is in advance of considering a permanent class rule for future National events.

I thought there had also been some comments from Booboo on this site about how they ran it six-up - which would obviously lend itself to heavier individuals - but can't find them.

Yup we ran 6 up and it was by far the best Y88 regatta i have ever done, 7 people is a bit of a piss take in a 30fter i reckon.

We had the smallest guy (peanut) doing mainsheet/tactics but when we were settled into a beat the helmsman would do the traveler and peanut would hike, the trimmer was hiking off the rail at the back instead of doing the crawl forward. we only had one guy (helmsman) with his legs in. so the line up was bowman, mastman/keyboards(me), keyboards/kite trimmer (we shared the keyboards duty), mainsheet, helm, trimmer. with more room on the rail we were all at max beam and right together. We sheeted the kite on the cabintop so it was allways much easier and everyone in the middle of the boat.

We found tacking was way better and much faster with a couple of big guys as opposed to 7 smaller guys and(for station) me at 130kg with the whole cabintop to myself could get across there as fast or faster than any other boat in the fleet(im sure a few will testify to that!) then it didnt really matter about the others once i was at max beam!

I think the 6 up program with big guys is the way of the future. we were still 30kg under the max weight but i think we would have had an equal or higher righting moment but had to work harder for it.

I still remember the thread about hiking and how it was just bullshit, f*ck off its how you win races. We hiked so hard that our stantion bases all cracked and the deck caved in! but thats what you gotta do to do any good in this regatta.

Unfortunatley i cant do the regatta this year, taking the week off to take the family away in the Marauder and as i didnt have time to do the full Y88 program i didnt want to be half arsed. prefer to do it properly or not at all and that involves alot of training ect.

tis true that the boats are more fun sailing 6 up.

You had similar plan we were looking at, kite sheets to cabin top, and keyboards guy trims. clutch on the mast for kite halyard frees up a pair of hands at hoist time.

Hypothetically speaking.... If a person was in the market for a young 88, Of the ones that are on the market at the moment, are there any that could be competitive at the top level?

The 2011 Y88 AGM is at the Squaddy next Friday (the 15th), kicking off at around 7pm following the nationals briefing which starts at 6.

Probably the best opportunity of the year for a "hypothetical" prospective new owner to catch up with a bunch of other owners, LT. :thumbup:

Thanks Murky,

I'll try & get along to the Squaddy (if I'm alowed out). There should be a few good stories after day one of racing.

BTW, I see Medium Dry is up from the deep south. It will be interesting to see how the South Island boys do!

Archived