Diesel Filters

Gidday

I'm sure this would have been discussed before, however the search comes up blank!

My fuel filters are stuffed, it turnes our that the previous owner had glued the lids on for some odd reason!

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative suitable for an offshore yacht, i.e. switchable filters etc.

Has anyone built anything simalar or even have something laying around in their garage?

Cheers

SHANE

My fuel filters are stuffed, it turnes our that the previous owner had glued the lids on for some odd reason!

Jeez! seals must have gone I guess.

Don't skimp on your filters. Go for the glass bowl type and have them easily seen/accessible so you can check/change them. There are probably some other surprises in your fuel tank too...

Most used fuel filters are just that, they have become second hand for a reason. Racor would be by far the most popular filter in NZ, Separ are equally as good (Ovlov) but lesser known, both reasonably expensive but it is money well spent. 10 micron is a good number for filter size, you can go finer but it isn't really needed. You could probably bring either in from offshore but by the time you add the freight there probably wouldn't much difference in overall price. Buy a pair and set them up so you can change them with out stopping the engine, with a simple guage connected into the system you can soon see when the one you are using is getting clogged and requires switching. You can then change the clogged on at your leisure at your next anchorage / mooring etc.

There are simpler / cheaper ones as advertised on Trademe with a small water trap that will do the minimum, if that is all you need.

I second Wheels's comment. I have had one of those in my boat for a few years now and it is excellent. And waaay cheaper to buy and waaay cheaper to buy the replacement filters.

Yep

That exactly what we are going with, and I'll install a second one with a switching system over winter!

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, is there any reason I cannot just bring the diesel return back into the supply on the far (tank) side of the filter?

The reason I ask is that I have 3 tanks supplying the engine through valves and 3 returns also through Valves

SHANE

The only concern is if you have an external electric fuel pump fitted before the filter, pressurising it. That can be a problem for the return. If it sucks from the filter or you are using the engine lift pump, then not a problem with that mate. Just plumb into the other "in". Be aware of the arrows on the top of the filter housing. You will have an in and out on each side. It is not a major issue, but if you plumb into the other inlet, then the return fuel gets re filtered. It's only a dribble, so you are not polishing as such.

Surely not. Racor is a polycarb bowl and surely would be even worse in a fire. I can not remember reading anything about that in the rules, can anyone confirm that??

Shane, I have the Top and bottom parts both in metal if you want it, you can have it. I just assumed you would want glass.

Yep trip still on. Fly down Friday, provision boat Saturday, head around to Havelock Sunday, haulout Monday and then start the trip north hopefully tuesday or Wednesday.

Arriving at this post a little late. For a little extra money get the RACOR with the primer pump attached. Its excellent you can manual pump fuel thorough the system and also achieve good pressure to bleed the system. I have a day tank plumed into the system so in the event of a lift pump failure the day tank will gravity feed the injector pump and the Day tank can be filled using the Racor filter pump :-)

You can also get the Lucas - CAV 296 with the head mounted manual fuel pump, however Racor with its spin on filter is less likely to leak than the CAV (the latter perhaps reinforcing its English heritage).