I think this is a scam, do you?

Atom Ant

Hi peeps, got this email the other day, was suspicious about it but replied in brief to see where it went and got the expected "sounds like a scam" response. What do you think?

Hi, I think your email is a scam. No one buys a boat sight unseen. If you are serious about buying my boat then contact Westhaven Yacht Brokers and arrange to have the boat surveyed. Once it has passed survey, the yacht broker will arrange shipping, you can pay them for the boat, plus shipping, taxes etc. Or, you can leave me alone and not waste my time anymore.

Sent: Saturday, 16 April 2011 18:55

To: atom-ant@ihug.co.nz

Subject: RE: Colson 9 metre ATOM ANT

Hi,

I so much appreciate your response to my earlier mail. I wish to let you know that there's no doubt I'm gonna purchase it. I will arrange for shipping and handling. The shipping agent will come to your location for pick up. Kindly provide me your name and full address, So that i can know the cost for shipping. Please send me your asking price immediately so that we can move on with this transaction.

Thank you

Charles Johnson

> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:59:31 +1200

> From: atom-ant@ihug.co.nz

> To: my-family90@hotmail.com

> Subject: Colson 9 metre ATOM ANT

>

> Hi Charles, Thank you for your email about my boat. Yes it is still for

> sale and it is in good condition.

>

> Regards, John

Message Detail: Colson 9 metre ATOM ANT advertised on Apollo Duck

Enquirer's Name: Charles Johnson

Upgrade to a Standard or Featured Advert to get

enquiries delivered direct to your email address.

Enquirer's Email Address: my-family90@hotmail.com

Enquirer's Telephone: 2092338261

Enquirer's Message: Hi there, I want to know if this boat is still up for sale ..?Please i will like to know if its in good condition. Please reply me immediately. you can get back to me on my-family90@hotmail.com Thank you.

I had similar with the sale of Cool Change.

I followed it through and had to set up a pay pal account for the money etc. The deal was that they put the asking price + shipping into the account and I pay the shipper direct into their account.

To cut a long story short, I told them that if they wanted to scam prople out of boats they needed to try a bit harder. But I did tell them that I knew how to do it, and if they deposited 5k into my pay pal account I would tell them.

Strange that I never heard back.

Yeah, that's a scam. They generally send you too much money and ask for some back. It's done in a way that the money they send you isn't cleared. By the time it's cleared, you've sent funds to them (western union) the cheque bounces and you're stuck with the debt.

A good way to see if it's a scam is to simply google either the body of the email or the email address/phone number. Quite often you'll find there are a number of people just like you who have posted just like this.

Theres probably people all over the world with a guaranteed buyer! The way to check em out is ask for a western untion payment, as above, you'll never hear back from them.

Edit: http://phonenotes.org/2092338261 phone number is an inland California number and other people are having problems with that phone number. These people aren't usually worried about being found out as the one or two they manage to scam have absolutely no clue.

Each time i advertised in Trade & Exchange i got one of these emails.

One address was in the middle of the outback in Aus.

Just ignore them :)

This is a scam for sure, I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago while selling my trailer sailor. Just a different name and an address in Malaysia.

I answered and they sent a fake Pay Pal message saying the money plus $600 for shipping had been deposited into my PayPal account, but was on hold until I passed the $600 for shipping on to a suspicious sounding freighting company. A quick check of my real paypal account shows no transaction, surprise surprise. Naturally i stopped any communication there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAILING; The act of being cold, wet and sick while going somewhere very slowly at great expense.

Well thats blown it now you will never sell the Bloody red Baron, What a way to treat a prospective customer, and I thought you were having bowman issues, seems things go a bit further that that.... :shock:

Yes an obvious scam. $600 to transport AA anywhere = totally unrealistic.

Tell him he has to send more dosh ;)

Um $600? That was Brendon's post not mine!

Now listen here Mr Offender - I have no issues as a bowman. I'm fantastic at it - provided you don't mind waiting while I slowly go about my tasks :lol:

Archived