What to do with the body

......I gather the expected thing is to ..first LOG all relevant information. Ships log and contact AS SOON AS with any other vessel. This may help in a coroners court. Dead people need documentasion or there may be trouble. Next try and off load to the nearest ship. (Fishing boats/freightors anything with a freezer).

I think you will find that there is an expectation that the body is returned to the family.

Too toss overboard without "permison" will mean that you will spend the next few months (years) in court explaining your actions.

In this day and age , it would be hard to prove "health reasons" if it was just the smell.....yuk but .....

We covered this on the Offshore medic course. Get on the radio and tell someone ASAP. There are so many other ships out there that most of the time one will divert to you and store them cold. You might have to put with them for 2 days but you will be rid of them when they really stink. Or follow the advice of the authorities on the radio. Don't throw them over, they have a family too who may want to farewell them.

Just my 2c

they have a family too who may want to farewell them

OK, I'll admit that I'm probably a cold hearted bastid, but if someone has died, they're not there anymore. They went bye-bye. Lights out. They don't live here no more. The body is not them .... it is now a large, unwieldy and soon to be smelly lump of meat. The family said their farewells and goodbyes when they left the dock on the boat. If that person has now died, clearly their family's well-wishes didn't do them a whole lot of good really. They still ended up dead. And the wishes of good fortune aren't really helping the rest of the crew either because now they've got a large, unwieldy and soon to be smelly lump of meat to deal with (and its really, really not socially acceptable to fire up the BBQ either) ........... and one less crew member to stand watch. So ... all in all it hasn't worked out very well for anyone. I don't think any further wishes of well-being are going to significantly help the deceased to any further degree. If its purely for the family's benefit .... well, I'm sorry, but in the words of the immortal philosopher Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want.

For the record, if I happen to die on a yacht on passage that is several days from landfall, then I would want to crew to turf the body overboard and move on. By that stage, my only earthly benefit would be to supplement the aquatic food chain and honestly ... that's OK by me. I'll have finished with my body by then, I won't have a use for it anymore. Let's not leave things lying about cluttering up the place shall we.

I recognise that this may not be how other people feel, so please don't be offended or uncomfortable if when interviewing you as a potential crew I ask what you'd like me to do with your body if you die while on passage.

***DISCLAIMER*** Some of what I've written here may (or may not) be tongue-in-cheek. If you're offended by it, it was a joke you humourless twit. If you weren't offended, then perhaps I should try harder.

Grinna, I have exactly the same attitude to dead meat as you. The only problem is that i'm married to a Maori. Lot's of tongue biting goes on there.

In principle I'd go along with Grinna's comments too. Only problem is the little contradiction.

So you'll turf a body overboard (even tho I'd guess it's not socially acceptable to most of the population) but you wouldn't fire up the BBQ because it's not socially acceptable? So really just a matter of where you're prepared to draw the line. :silent: :wave:

In practice I think I'd be more than a little concerned about the flak I'd cop when I got back to port.

And what the victim ate for the last few days... Probably not worth eating some runty bowman like JHarkin after one of his Freeze Dried dinners... :lol:

In the event of my untimely demise it would be nice for someone to remove my aggots and drop 'em in a jar of liquid nitrogen to preserve the opportunity for posthumous conception to prolong my outstanding genetic legacy.

However, I guess having a flask of liquid nitrogen bouncing around the bilge is a little fanciful...not to mention someone actually wanting to bear my children.

Thus, setting that option aside, I'd be happy for the crew to turf my body....so long as they pickle my head in a bucket of rum!

More particularly that is....a bucket of Mt Gay Extra Old Rum!

Likewise about wot Grinna said about being ogfended.

Ummm several issues with your last request WT. If I was crew, I would not be going anywhere near your...err..."aggots". Although maybe if your wife catches you with some other piece of deck fluff, she may carry out that request for you. But I would imagine you would still be alive at the time of removal, followed shortly after with your death.

And what a waste of perfectly good Rum. :shock:

better idea just popped into my head. drink the rum to work up the courage to chop off his bollocks, accidentally toss em in the drink n the fishies can have scallops and bollocks for tea.

Hi, I am new here but this topic caught my eye.

In 1980 my wife and I answered an ad for crew to help sail a yacht back to Alaska. The owner was looking for a crew because his wife did not want to sail with him because when they came out from Alaska they were sort of in company with another yacht and the yachts got separated as you do.

To cut a long story short, on the other yacht the husband went below to start the engine to charge batteries, fridge etc and after a burst of engine all went quiet. After no response the wife went below to find her husband had been dragged into the engine or prop shaft by his scarf.

I do not recall whether she carried on to Hawaii with her husband on board or not, but she did carry on to Hawaii.

Cheerful first post, you'll fit in well around here :lol:

Thanks - I hope to be a more frequent visitor. I am looking at a Lotus 10.6 with a view to extensive coastal cruising over the next few years. Hope I will re-appear on another topic and not this one.

a real life death on board story:

there was this novice lady and her partner, an experienced sailor. Their vessel was

coasting along nicely with hardly any swell, and having no clouds in the sky it looked as though it would

be a perfect day. Then as often in the tropics, the breeze gradually died. The boom and sails were making

a bit of a racket in the movement of the swells and it was better to lower them, but somehow the mainsail

had jammed at the top of the mast.

The skipper showed his partner how to raise the bosun’s chair and the skipper

took an extra line with him so he could attach himself to the mast, saving him from being thrown around

by combined movement of swell and boat. Unfortunately he had a massive heart attack and died at the top

of the mast. Major problems now developed. She lowered him down as far as the spreader but no further

as the rope was still tethered to him. Not knowing how to get him down, she decided to turn the boat

around to the way they had come. Help did arrive when she closed with the coast and the body was then

lowered to the deck.”

Archived