Racemark west of AKL Habour Bridge

Resolution yellow buoy has been moved some time ago but I don't know if the published lats & longs have been corrected.

Who checks up :?: Often thought of going round at high tide (least variation for swinging on mooring) and checking Lats & long, but seem to be too busy when ever the sun is shinning. Who wants to do this in the wet and cold :?: Knot Me :!: :!: :D

:idea: or should that be KnotMe should do this for all of us :?:

http://www.rnzys.org.nz/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=pSzfGdRPb4A%3d&tabid=74&mid=597

Pile bouy is a new laid bouy. They are still using the Rona navigation marker tho

Not according the RNZYS protest committee. We were also part of herd that went around the yellow mark instead of the red "pile buoy". The protest was thrown out because Cruise Control failed to notify the boats being protested at the earliest possible opportunity.... but then the protest committee suggested we should all do the right thing and withdraw since we didn't sail the course. They said the yellow mark was in the vicinity of pile buoy but it is NOT pile buoy.

That is just bullshit.

If Cruise Control yells out to the other boats in the vicinity that they have rounded the wrong mark and she is protesting them.

If any boats act on that advice and return to re round the correct mark.

Then they have acted on "outside assistance".

they can be disqualified under protest by another boat and so arguably could Cruise Control !

Come on Wolfie, if CC fails to notify the other yachts of the protest they have no chance to exonerate themselves by rounding the correct mark if they choose. They sailed over the top of us less than 2 boatlengths away and said nothing.

That is failure to notify and justifiably dismissed at the protest hearing. I heard nothing from anyone about the possibility of retiring. How can it be outside assistance when it's an inside job?

And people wonder why I'm well over sailing up and down the ditch.

I suppose playing the 'guess which buoy' game wouldn't make it quite so boring though :lol:

Oh crap, a harbour course on Sunday. Knowing our skipper we'll get lost for sure. Better bring pictures I think.

Once the race committee finds out that another boat other than CC has not completed the course, i.e. a string representing their wake does not pass the correct side of a buoy then that is all it takes. end of story.

the first obligation is on the other boats to know and sail the correct course.

In the case of the RC protesting any boat for sailing the wrong course, ne boat in the wrong is not hailed by the RC or informed in any way and are not given the opportunity to exonerate themselves. They sailed the wrong course they are disq and they learn from it for next time.

Why should CC have to inform any one at all ?

Is it there fault others don't know the course?

By telling others the course they are in breach of other rules, and people who are told the course and correct their mistake get an advantage over those that are out of earshot.

its not like a Port stbd where the offending boat does a 720 to correct mistake, because in that case the 720 is a bigger disadvantage than the original offence, if you will.

Where as CC sailed a much longer course, the disadvantage to her is bigger. The other boats gained a massive advantage over CC by not sailing the correct course.

We have had numerous cases recently in the multis of boats retiring as soon as they find out they've sailed the wrong course (esp if they gain an advantage), quite frankly it shouldn't take a protest at all, and any protest irregularities pale into insignificance compared to a fundamental such as sailing the correct course.

Guest Rocket

I think the 2 days before the protest went in (if that is correct?) would be the problem here. I have hailed boats sailing the wrong course (inside a fairway mark) to give them a chance to unwind themselves. When they don't you protest immediately - it is a self policing sport.

When the good guys realise they have sailed the wrong course they pull out immediately! (Not sail the rest of the course then RAF).

I would actually have to agree with wolfie on this one, if you didn’t sail the course then you didn’t complete the race, that parts simple.

If its proven that you didn’t sail the correct course then the right thing to do is withdraw from the race.

The boat that does the correct course and then protests shouldn’t have to inform the other boats, he may not even get anywhere near them and in extreme cases they might have already finished (or not as the case may be..) and packed up and gone home by the time the ‘real’ course has been completed by the boats that actually finished the race.

Its up to the committee to protest once informed that any boats didn’t sail the correct course.

Come on Wolfie, if CC fails to notify the other yachts of the protest they have no chance to exonerate themselves by rounding the correct mark if they choose. They sailed over the top of us less than 2 boatlengths away and said nothing.

That is failure to notify and justifiably dismissed at the protest hearing. I heard nothing from anyone about the possibility of retiring. How can it be outside assistance when it's an inside job?

ill go as far to say that the reason no one knew about this protest until 2 days later (doh!) was that it was driven by someone else as a back up plan to a bottom mark incident that may have affected the points table at the business end of the season... :problem: ducks

if cc had lodged it on time and alerted those on the water (or at least one!!) and the RC (suggest if your going to protest the whole div RC should be informed) the rest of the fleet im sure would raf but not if a couple of them are going to play silly buggas 2 days later

nuf said all good fun was a good season with very few niggles for such close racing.....apart from that hole we put in cc sorry murray

I think the time you decide to protest is after you have found out that the RC has decided to do nothing about it.

I don't think it should have taken 2 days to lodge the protest BUT if the protest had been filed in time the facts would have been exactly the same. The only way for a boat who has sailed the wrong course (and finds out about it) is to withdraw. You can't "defend" that you haven't sailed the right course.

If the PC decides it is all too confusing then as happened at the Kawau Race, they have to throw the whole race out.

the first rule of protesting is get it in on time! if your going to dream something up later then it better include damage or injury for the committee to be remotely interested otherwise it is an invalid protest

in this case no one bar one boat knew they had sailed the wrong course(rightly or wrongly) so it had to go to protest and it was thrown out

Guest Rocket

I have lost a protest (or rather didn't have it heard) because I said "do your turns you arsehole" rather than "I protest you #xyz" (which I said a minute later). Committees are correctly pedantic about such matters. I say correctly because we all know that there are any number of minor incidents in a typical race where we have a "intense" chat with each other around the racetrack but don't actually have a strong enough view to protest).

The real issue here is sorting out those marks above the bridge...

the first rule of protesting is get it in on time! if your going to dream something up later then it better include damage or injury for the committee to be remotely interested otherwise it is an invalid protest

in this case no one bar one boat knew they had sailed the wrong course(rightly or wrongly) so it had to go to protest and it was thrown out

Hey Sharpie,

In this case you don't actually need to get the protest in on time - The protest committee can, at their discretion, extend the time. 2 days is a bit extreme though - hard to justify why they should extend it that long.

Generaly the committee will accept delayed protests IF there are genuine reasons for not being able to do so on time....ie attending to severe damage or injury, but if it is an oversight or afterthought my experience leads me to believe that it will be invalid

Archived