Waterline Stain Remover for Fibreglass Boats

all fired up

Had a close look at my boat the other day and in places the Fibre Glass is stained on the sides above the waterline.

I looked in the boatshops down Westhaven and there are number of products that say they are for removing waterline stains in fibregalss.

Have any forum members any experience with any of these? ie Brand names and how well they work?

afu.

The waterline stain remover from bursnco works a treat. Just make sure if you want it to last that you wax over it once you have done it or it will go yellow again pretty quickly... on mercenary i was doing it every 2 months or so before i did the big cut and polish and now it seems to have gone away for good

anything oxalic based will see you right

FYI: Most of the commercial stuff is pretty dilute but it's a good idea to wear gloves anyway. Oxalic acid can get absorbed thru skin and reacts with the calcium in blood to form calcium oxilate which will then stuff your kidneys.

Guest mental outlook

Best I have found is the Yachticom product from Sailors Corner in a white and orange bottle. Just a wipe on rinse off. I have found it to be significantly better than Grunt. As Marshy says the key is protecting it afterwards.

I use oxalic acid. buy it in powder form, mix your own. abt a teaspoon in a 500ml spray bottle. cheap as, a 1kg pot will last for years! wear gloves. spray on, hose off after 10 mins. works like magic.:-)

So we really took to it this time,

Took the stain out with Emergel:

then went around the hull with Nano gel coat sealer

then around the hull again with a high tech polish (something I got at the boat show forget its name)

Then around the hull again with 3M wax/polish

8 times around in total

Seems to be hanging in there OK this time

time will tell.

Here is a shot of the after

392433_10151433856653041_1068052930_n.jpg

Archived