A new 44 fter for $178,000

So re phrase the question, if someone had say $240k to spend and had their heart set on an AWB what could they get? and how would THAT boat compare to the 44ft cheapie?

(I added had their heart set coz to my mind it's no brainer - get an old kiwi boat)

Marshall Law, then spend the extra $80K on a nice carbon prod, code 0, furler, SSB, liferaft, Eperb, outboard, big screen plotter and a full carbon toilet.. :D :D

Wouldn't mind knowing what the repairs where. The Yachting World article / boat review of the RBI said they wouldn't go offshore in them, and basically implied they shouldn't be CAT 1 or whatever the UK equivalent is (CE_A) or something.

It wouldn't be that silly to get one, not commission it and throw it in the shed.

Then get an NZ boatbuilder (there are plenty looking for work) to put a proper NZ style interior in it.

It isn't that much different than what has happened to other imports - but usually after a few seasons.

It wouldn't be that silly to get one, not commission it and throw it in the shed.

Then get an NZ boatbuilder (there are plenty looking for work) to put a proper NZ style interior in it.

It isn't that much different than what has happened to other imports - but usually after a few seasons.

It would end up being a very expensive boat by then Jono....all the deck gear, interior, sails, any teak you want... Why not just buy the real version to start with.

I agree the current offers on yachts by all the brands are great value. It is why no one is building in NZ. And the brokers have all been around for a few years so have a real good idea of what is required to get on the water good and happy.

But thinking laterally, if you had a big lawn and a bit of time you could turn this into a relatively cheap big volume coastal cruiser suitable for NZ. And its new.

eg

Put on a decent bow roller and a all chain windlass - no need for a hatch.

Tape in some ply cockpit lockers - all sealed (the J111 is the same)

Rout off all the squares, evidure and paint white - all safe.

Bolt on a Dixon boarding ladder

etc.

And most experienced boaties have a heap of spare blocks, fenders, PFDs old chain etc that they took off their last boat.

Not for me but if you are eyes wide open and have some time or budget for a boatbuilder it might work.

Archived