A new 44 fter for $178,000

Read the review in Sailing World. The've butchered a relatively good boat.

I'd liken it to a paper mache Toyota.

A real pity!

Saw the green with mural interior and thought 'I want some of that designers drugs, they are obviously damn good'... but then shot off to do some work stuff, yes it happens now and again, to come back and only to think 'maybe it's knot that bad'. It is nice and clean.

WTF are those bananas hanging from the ceiling about????

There are some Dehler 40 somethings, knot sure if they are those 44's or their other range, very close to heading to Akl waters I hear. The word is they kick the arse of the Benny 'First' boats.

180K even if plus 100 for blaa blaa blaa still makes them a damn cheap 44fter.

$300k landed for a boat that doesn't even come with an anchor winch, let alone somewhere to put it. Single central bow cleat for use when anchoring or tying up. The rear cock pit lockers open directly into the boat.

People, forget this boat!

I tried to find a price for the standard Hanse 430 in NZ, couldn't, but in UK they are 150k pounds which is $300k NZ, so this boat is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Start with 180 +20%= 216k for the cheapie

then 300 +20%= 360k for the Hanse

$300k landed for a boat that doesn't even come with an anchor winch, let alone somewhere to put it. Single central bow cleat for use when anchoring or tying up. The rear cock pit lockers open directly into the boat.

!

That's the idea, no extra bits to make the price low, so no anchor winch(why do you say no where to put it?doesn't the boat have a foredeck?)

Cocpit lockers directly to the interior????Where did you find that info?

The point I was trying to make was that we are making our boats more expensive than they need to be by filling them up with unnesessary "stuff".

Is there another 44fter you can buy new for the same price? (Alternatively - what else can you buy new for the same money?)

Just had a chat with someone and Dan sounds like he's spot on the money, people forget this boat. But Dan is also wrong sort of, knot only no anchor winch but knot even an anchor locker.

They are build pretty damn solid and have all but the very very very basic gear on them. There is actually one of those hulls in NZ now but it's branded and speced up very differently. And it does race a fair bit and does OK. But that cheapie is less than 1/2 the local boat version yet a lot more than 1/2 the price.

The exercise was done on the pricing and for knot that much more, landed here, you can get the full monty Hanse version. A no brainer by the looks.

The Dehlers I mentioned, while from the same stable, aren't those 44's.

Don't most of this style of boat just sit in the marina gathering weed.

Does it even require sails for the target market?

J

The exercise was done on the pricing and for knot that much more, landed here, you can get the full monty Hanse version.

A fully kitted Hanse 430 for a little over $220k ?

This was the cover story in the May issue of Yachting World (UK Mag).

Some sailing school is trying to sail a fleet of them around the UK. There where a number of fundamental issues with them designed to save money but made the total product only marginally useful. Such items as only knee high guard wires across the transom, the lowest spec'ed running gear etc. Remember in the UK no-one knows how to anchor and half the Med you aren't allowed to anchor, so why spend any money on anchor gear, or an anchor locker?

The article finished by saying the boat had basically missed the point by going too cheap, no target market, accept people keen to get a deck, hull and rig and finish the interior off themselves at home, accept that anyone willing to do that would have an eye for a better all round package.

Suited the sailing school for a complete knockdown budget price, but needed essential additions to make safe for basic sailing...

This boat wouldn't last 5min in the NZ environment.

Remember in the UK no-one knows how to anchor and half the Med you aren't allowed to anchor, so why spend any money on anchor gear, or an anchor locker?

That's a little harsh. I found UK yachties to be a knowledgable lot who sail is some quite harsh weather. Some of their anchorages are extremely challenging (Channel Islands, massive tidal range). Sailing in the fog over there would scare the poo out of many Kiwi Yachties. We hardly ever get it here, but there it's a regular occurance.

Also in the Med, most mooring is stern to, using the bow anchor to hold off, so yes, you really do need a good anchoring system...

Apparently a lot of the Med mooring is now done with "slime lines" leading to permanent bow lines with large mooring blocks at the other end. It means you can have lots of boats med moored without anchors crossing over each other and fouling. The "slime lines" are light lines that run back to the dock wall and allow you to pick up the bow lines .... they normally sit in the water .... hence the nickname.

Anyway, the point is, this boat doesn't have an anchoring system as delivered. Doesn't stop you from sticking one on though.

Remember in the UK no-one knows how to anchor and half the Med you aren't allowed to anchor, so why spend any money on anchor gear, or an anchor locker?

That's a little harsh. I found UK yachties to be a knowledgable lot who sail is some quite harsh weather. Some of their anchorages are extremely challenging (Channel Islands, massive tidal range). Sailing in the fog over there would scare the poo out of many Kiwi Yachties. We hardly ever get it here, but there it's a regular occurance.

Also in the Med, most mooring is stern to, using the bow anchor to hold off, so yes, you really do need a good anchoring system...

Yes I agree that UK yachties sail in some extreme conditions regularly, including snow, massive tidal ranges, getting across the shipping lanes in the channel can be like pushing a shopping trolley across the Southern motorway at rush hour, but they anchor so rarely they may as well not have the gear.

I've not known anyone to spend a night at anchor in the Channel Is, almost always the UK cruising sailor will tie up at a town basin or visitor pontoon and go to the pub for dinner, and err, the rest of the night (until 11 o'clock closing anyway)... Almost all South Coast UK harbours have a large number of visitor bouys to pick up as a minimum, normally a visitor pontoon or some sort of marina. Poole, St Peter Port etc will raft up weekend sailors up to twelve deep against the town quay just so they don't have to anchor. There isn't actually anywhere to anchor.

Yes I agree that UK yachties sail in some extreme conditions regularly, including snow, massive tidal ranges, getting across the shipping lanes in the channel can be like pushing a shopping trolley across the Southern motorway at rush hour, but they anchor so rarely they may as well not have the gear.

I've not known anyone to spend a night at anchor in the Channel Is, almost always the UK cruising sailor will tie up at a town basin or visitor pontoon and go to the pub for dinner, and err, the rest of the night (until 11 o'clock closing anyway)... Almost all South Coast UK harbours have a large number of visitor bouys to pick up as a minimum, normally a visitor pontoon or some sort of marina. Poole, St Peter Port etc will raft up weekend sailors up to twelve deep against the town quay just so they don't have to anchor. There isn't actually anywhere to anchor.

Again, not my experience. There are a couple of anchorages off Sark where we stayed, and they were full. Tricky stuff too. The Alderney race runs at over 6kn. Also in St Peters Port, when I was there, you had to anchor stern to a big mooring buoy.. The town marina there operated a sill, so you had to wait until 1 hr either side of HW.. Maybe it's easier now?

J

The exercise was done on the pricing and for knot that much more, landed here, you can get the full monty Hanse version.

A fully kitted Hanse 430 for a little over $220k ?

A well kitted sailaway H44, approx 390-400K NZ all up. OK so a bit more than 'knot much more'.

The H44 is now knot being made as such. The hull mold is now the one used for that 44 cheapie.

So re phrase the question, if someone had say $240k to spend and had their heart set on an AWB what could they get? and how would THAT boat compare to the 44ft cheapie?

(I added had their heart set coz to my mind it's no brainer - get an old kiwi boat)

BTW I went to the Yachtfinders website to try and find a price for something similar - found a Bene Oceanis 430, but couldn't find a price .

In the used boats $250k for a 15 yo 40 ft.

News flash - I found the price for the Oceanis 430 new - $386k, hmm not even close.

So what can Beneteau sell you for $250? An Oceanis 34 almost bang on at $249.

So our hypothetical buyer can have a well known brand and I assume reasonably well kitted out?? or for the same money a bare bones 44.

Which would you choose?

Archived