Freshly painted and ready for hardware --- almost

DrWatson

Thanks,

Yeah we're pretty stoked with how well she's come out. Still need the non-skid and a final varnish coat.

Probably two weekends worth of work still - painting, and fitting out.

Then a safety inspection and registration will suck up another weekend before we can launch. My folk are visiting at the moment so I have to take a week off and play tour guide. I'm picking the last weekend in June for the beers and BBQ.

I guess you've put your little skiff on hold in the back of the shed while you concentrate on the mini?

Looks great Dr.W. :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm still so impressed with you building that mast from scratch. Hats off to ya! Looking forward to seeing it on the water.. Safety inspection? Registration? You're kidding me right??

I am undoubtedly one of the world's most useless wood-workers. However I LOVE wooden boats.

I look at the picture of the varnished cylindrical boom (or is that one the mast?) and I am awestruck, especially having seen how it was put together.

The hull is a thing of real beauty too. I hope you have a LOT of fun sailing it.

Thanks guys,

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be terrorizing the locals.

Smithy, unfortunately we do have to have a safety inspection. Hopefully it's nothing too arduous, and from what I've heard it's more making sure you have essential equipment on your boat - boat hook, red flag, whistle, paddle, bailer (wtf?). I've asked the authorities several times if we need inspections as the build progresses but they just said to send them the plans and they'll check it out when we go to register it.... yes register, anything over 3.2m needs to be registered. SOoooo much bureaucracy.

Willow the mast has two positions, and three sail plans. The forward position to accommodate the learner with just a small main, then the aft position when you want to get a larger main and jib + asymmetric. We're building the prod at the moment but don't jet have the genny.

Has anyone used International "Compass"?

It went onto the bare wood well, and over the clear coating epoxy (West207) okish, but man it didn't cover for sh!t over the normal epoxy - dragging, running, puddling :(

try washing the epoxy with a lanolin based cleaner and a scotch cloth, prior to applying the clearcoat. or try crc breakclean on a scrap bit.

try washing the epoxy with a lanolin based cleaner and a scotch cloth, prior to applying the clearcoat. or try crc breakclean on a scrap bit.

thanks FNG,

We had sanded it all with 120 then 180 and dusted and acetone wiped it, but it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll see if I can find some lanolin based cleaner. :)

Archived