Fiji Race

Crikey KM just imagine what it'll be like when you graduate to the big stuff......... A bloody legend :D

Mothership, now you are takin the piss....

Me and 8 Mary Popins on a red boat, I just cant wait for the singing

Na, been there done that. Over it and into other challenges these days.

Do I read your post as saying you going with 9 aboard Bull??

having just had the day at work with a little time on the water and hearing from the guys that were out past A Buoy saying - it was an interesting time, knarly, a bit rough, and a couple of comments about certain other workers having no idea how rough it can get out there versus in the harbour.

attached pic of a boat on harbour doing about 8knots into the wind and sea - taken between 1400-1500 this afternoon

untitled1.jpg

Are you heading out again tomorrow for another try?

Maybe or maybe go racing instead now. I'm still getting over how close I must have been to teetering on the edge of a tragic horrible death this morning going out in a little Cat 5 toy harbour boat in weather well below what a 100 odd boats, up to Cat 3 at best, raced around lots and lots of sharp rocks in just a few months ago. Just what was I thinking ;)

Will txt U in the AM AC. Will be out doing something afloat, just knot sure which as yet.

OK, plans for tomorrow still fluid so drop me a txt if you want company in case I'm free - remember new number 021 36 33 36.

From ETNZ:

CAMPER is back in the Auckland-Musket Cove race. With the start delayed for 24 hours on Saturday in the face of gale-force winds, conditions are now expected to give the team the race training as well as the sail testing it needs for its preparation for the Volvo Ocean Race.

Emirates Team New Zealand withdrew CAMPER from the race on Friday because forecasts indicated head winds all the way to Fiji and return. That meant little chance of the team being able to do the down-wind sail testing required for its round-the-world race preparation.

Today the wind across the start line was a constant 40 knots, with 50 knots in the Hauraki Gulf. The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron decided on a 24-hour delay.

Emirates Team New Zealand meteorologist Roger Badham said: “The gale-force winds and low-pressure system is moving to the south of Auckland tonight. With the race start delayed by the RNZYS officials by 24 hours, the nature of the race has changed considerably.

“A more varied wind regime is now expected with both upwind and downwind conditions ranging from eight to 18 knots. CAMPER should reach Fiji on Thursday and from there, the team plans to do some testing in the south-east trades winds by heading west and using the downwind conditions varying from 15 to 25 knots.

“It is then planned to come south again during the following week and use some pre-frontal north-northwest conditions for more downwind testing.”

Skipper Chris Nicholson said today now the team could achieve both of the original goals: go racing and tick off a considerable amount of the down-wind sail testing programme.

“We are very happy that we can race. It will be a good test for the boat and crew. Then we can settle down to do some serious testing on the way home.”

Well Bull pretty funny reading your post given some of the stuff you have posted over the years when racing has been called off due to poor forecasts.

i made my post before the start so that I couldn't be accused of being wise after the event so just for the record if the race had started on time the gulf was puffing away at 30-40 kts, there was no 7 - 9 m seas anywhere on the course ( i had two boats fisihng off curvier, I have reported your prediction to them, I won't record their reply here) and it is absolutley possible and allowed for boats who have cleared customs to seek shelter if neccesary for safety or seamanship purposes, the procedure is clearly outlined in your almanac and as you know is very common. The breeze eased from the north and by 1800hrs the breeze at Tuts was down to 20kts

There was a big puff in the gulf about 1800hrs of 50kts but after that there was a big ease,

Anyway Bull all power to you guys as you chase the record and the rest of the fleet for a safe and enjoyable voyage, hopefully there is enough breeze left to get you all up there in good time and in good spirits.

Motorboy, as usual abuse for any one who doesn't agree with you...we might be cocks but you are a dickhead

To be fair to the ETNZ boys on camper. There is a rule on how many pre race miles they can do on the boat. So good on them for deciding what suits them for testing and devoloping the boat. Yeah it may not fit in with ocean racing as we know it but they have bigger goals than metting cultural standards in NZ or winning the Fiji race.

They are also limited in how many sails they can use, including pre-race testing.

The sails they have now probably won't be going around the world, but they would like a few more miles out of them in the meantime.

Hey Motorboy... Who is the cock now ?

6 knots at Tute

9 in the Bay and 9 at Karikari....how slow is that going to be.

On another matter... The OD and Camper didnt get together prior to the postponement did they.??

OK, plans for tomorrow still fluid so drop me a txt if you want company in case I'm free - remember new number 021 36 33 36.

Due to the growing extreme vagrancies of YC's starting conditions these days we're gonna take the fizzy and a big feck off seaflea out for a run today. Burn a shite loud of fossil fuel and bang a few more cube of CO2 into the atmosphere :thumbup:

I think they should postpone the race until the breeze kicks in. It would be inhumane to send them out in such harsh conditions

Guest Rocket

Clearly ETNZ did learn ntg all those years ago - bizarre is my view of their "on again off again race". Hope they take a bucket!

Camper ??

:think: I cant believe the reasons given on this thread for their Yes-No decisions.

I have a sneaky feeling that they decided not to go if the race started in yesterdays conditions. Would hate to think the committee delayed it for them but of course that wouldnt happen.

I'm baffled by all the over-analysis and searching for hidden or double-meanings in this thread. It looks simple to me. Yesterday's conditions were marginal and at the least a highly unplesant way to start a race and potentially unsafe. So the decision to postpone was made which (as always) met with a mixed reaction. So what? Nothing new there.

And following the delay, ETNZ have now decided it suits them to join the race. It's their decision, they don't owe us an explanation, and they are bound to have a much better understanding for their technical reasoning than any outside commentator here. So agaim, why not just accept it on face value i.e. circustances have changed and hence ETNZ's decision has changed.

Simple.

So why not just enjoy the sunny day and follow the race as it commences?

Or maybe that's just too straightforward for some people!

Guest Rocket

No conspiracy theory - but the thing is you can't choose your conditions when you go round the world so you need to be ready. At that AC they lost they didn't train in the conditions they got either and we know where they got there (top of the range). Two issues for me -

1. The component thing (testing at the limits)

2. The psychological thing

The second is probably at least equally important - you learn alot about people when you get your arse kicked upwind. And if you start picking and choosing you start avoiding what you don't enjoy - and who would rather bash to windward than blast reach everywhere...

Oh and big ups to the weather router - I thought it was going to be a maggot for 5 days?

They don't owe an explanation - just my opinion - I am sure they are capable of ignoring it...

No conspiracy theory - but the thing is you can't choose your conditions when you go round the world so you need to be ready. At that AC they lost they didn't train in the conditions they got either and we know where they got there (top of the range)....

This wasn't about choosing conditions for a race however; it was about gathering data on the boat for all points of sail. They have little downwind data and need it because they're sure as eggs going to get it in the Volvo Ocean Race.

Archived