Fiji Race

I was all geared up to watch the start,

Me too. Just got back in and can say it's bloody wet out there with some good gusts but the call to postpone does seem a tad iffy. I tend to agree with Marsh, these are Cat 1 boats and while it's nasty it isn't horrendous.

Must swap motors back, the baby one struggled a bit. And me dingy sunk... bugger! But it's OK it was tied to the marina at the time... still is.

What was the wind strength when the Round North Island race left Wellywood.

( 2 handed ).

And what do ETNZ have to do with it. Looking after the multihulls ?? :think:

The restart in Wellington was about the same conditions.

Some yachts had to be towed out of the marina.

Others chose to stay where they were after not being able to get out of their berth.

The decision this morning was the only sensible one that could have been taken. It is a decision that would not have been made lightly by the Commodore, who isn't a novice when it comes to offshore racing.

Not only for the crews and their yachts but also those who would have had to go out there to start the race.

Anchoring a committee boat would have been a pig of a job for who ever is in command.

Interesting that the cocks that arnt doing the race can make judgement calls about weather and ocean racing. Smart move by the RNZYS to hold off 24 hours. Looking like the fleet will have a good run tomorrow.

That thought was going around the back of my mind as well.

Quite frankly of Fossil thinks the delay is a good idea then thats fine by me.

I disagree Marsh.

While clearly in a ocean race boats must be able to and in fact do deal with all conditions, to start a race with onshore breeze puffing 50knts would be irresponsible.

If any vessel had encountered a significant problem without any runway, there is the potential for real problems without the room to fix it.

That and the fact that a significant wave hight of 8-9m today out the back of the barrier would garrantee damage and or injury.

Fish, anchoring is not an option, with it specificly prohibited by customs regs. And in fact the forecast is for a 8-10 knot increase during the day before swinging and dropping tonight.

You can be sure you will see 30+ on any passage to the islands somewhere and boats will just have to handle it, but for my money the Squaddy did the right thing not starting in 35/50 in the harbour.

Now forcast

Average wind at Tute..30knots

Bay of Islands..20knots

Hokianga...16knots.

Forcast for Sunday. 15 easing to 10. dying at night.

I say no more. ( in case I get called a Cock ! )

Just curious, who was predicting 50? I looked at metvuw, max 30. When I first went to the Squaddie site to get the notice theeir wind thingy said 27 and max gust 32,

Now casting at the time of cancellation was

chan41//33/068

tiri/47/37/046

bean39/31/043

tama28/22/064

tutu/44/37/049/

merc/41/34/039

FC@0503 NE40/50 O/L N20

This was about a minute after the call to say take our time having breaky, as posted above wouldn't have been very pleasant for the first while but I think that everyone that is entered ,is prepared to see these sort of conditions at some stage of the race. Whether it should have been started or not, who knows. Someone has made the call end of story.

We were prepared to go before the pin was pulled along with most I suspect, just a shame that option to go was not left to the competitors, the people that are undertaking this trip do understand the risks associated with it, you think they would be allowed to use there own judgement about whether to go or not.

Cheers, SS

I was all geared up to watch the start,

Me too. Just got back in and can say it's bloody wet out there with some good gusts but the call to postpone does seem a tad iffy. I tend to agree with Marsh, these are Cat 1 boats and while it's nasty it isn't horrendous.

Must swap motors back, the baby one struggled a bit. And me dingy sunk... bugger! But it's OK it was tied to the marina at the time... still is.

Are you heading out again tomorrow for another try?

To be honest i think it was the right call... For the hardened offshore yachties yes it is handleable. But these are people taking time off work to race their boats they work all year around to fund, Its not a bunch of pro's on someone elses boat. Things will go wrong and to get them off a startline safely in that breeze wasnt going to happen.

I sat down on my boat today and saw regular gusts of 40+ come through (Yes my windgear may be navman but it is calibrated!)

Its one thing hitting this stuff out there, but its another when the sea is short and choppy closer to land, and with no run off and no legal way to anchor up and wait it out.

It is good to hear all the people tucked up and home saying it should have been raced when it seems most of the people who were actually doing the race actually agree with it. Afterall the race is there to support the people racing, not provide entertainment for us at home.

Bull, how much wind have you had the three wheeler out in?

Its not the wind its the rain thats the problem!!!

When you are as sweet as most of my crew, they worry they might melt.

TVSx

Guest Rocket

Done this race a few times - never had 40 on the nose though. I would imagine crews particularly owners would be pretty happy that the decision was made to delay. I know a few years ago we started in about 40 from the Souwest and as we lay on our side out the back of Little Barrier shaking a masthead kite for 10 minutes I wasn't that convinced we were sane.

And later on near Fiji when two corners came off the big kite in 45knots I realised we were clearly mad - and was pretty happy about it.

I don't think 24 hour delay changes anything - I was however surprised at ETNZ's decision - I would have thought from a "cultural" perspective that they would make a decision to race and go with it - whatever the weather.Didn't they learn from that debacle here?

Bloody expensive bashing even well found boats into big breezes. Does anyone anywhere really look forward to it? I sail on older boats that like the beating thing and I would prefer a slide... (are we allowed to admit that withot being rbranded pussies?)

Are you heading out again tomorrow for another try?

Maybe or maybe go racing instead now. I'm still getting over how close I must have been to teetering on the edge of a tragic horrible death this morning going out in a little Cat 5 toy harbour boat in weather well below what a 100 odd boats, up to Cat 3 at best, raced around lots and lots of sharp rocks in just a few months ago. Just what was I thinking ;)

Will txt U in the AM AC. Will be out doing something afloat, just knot sure which as yet.

Archived