PUBLIC NOTICE - Shakespear Open Sanctuary Animal Pest Eradic

Fogg

PUBLIC NOTICE - Shakespear Open Sanctuary Animal Pest Eradication

The Whangaparaoa coastline from Army Bay to Okoromai Bay will be closed to public entry from 1 July until approximately mid December. Three aerial applications of cereal bait containing brodifacoum, each approximately two weeks apart will be undertaken as part of a pest eradication programme, east of the pest proof fence. Application dates are weather dependent. Measures are in place to prevent bait entering the coastal marine area.

Vessels will be patrolling the coastline during days of aerial applications. Please follow all instructions and stay clear of the coast.

Although we do not expect this activity to affect marine life, as a precautionary measure we advise that people avoid collecting and eating seafood from this area until the all clear is given following testing.

Notices to mariners will be broadcast on the Nowcasting channels 20, 21and 22

For up to date information on the fishery status and park closure contact the Auckland Council on 09 3010101, visit http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/regionalparks or email open.sanctuary@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz.

Excellent. Throw some more poison at the problem. Aren't there enough unemployed people to do this work? Remember the bounty days.

No, you don't understand Pete, that would be demeaning to make unemployed people actually work for money. It would negatively impact their self esteem and make them into indentured workers .... a modern day slavery system if you will. Much better to simply let them laze around on the couch smoking dope, eating KFC and watching horseracing on the telly. :think:

So we should not use excavators when carrying out our roading projects and just give the unemployed shovels?

Aerial drops of poison are the most effective way of eliminating pests from large areas, and the ecological benefits are well worth it. Hunting and trapping will slowly get most of the pests, but this is an efficient and relatively rapid way of doing it. The last thing we need as a country is to be inventing government paid jobs and patting ourselves on the back for having low unemployment.

BUT we now have the 2nd and 3rd generation of kids seeing dad never go to work and believing that WINZ is their future. The unemployed have to be employed (Stuff efficiency) if we are to break the dependancy cycle. Kids need role models who reflect values.

Dont get me started on those who are happy to get a girl pregnant and then vacate their role as a Father.....As MEN we need to MAN up and attack the small PC brigade who are the most vocal and influence society at too many levels.

Rant Over

Guest Rocket

I would still drop the poison for its rapid effective kill rate. the clean up of the last few predators has to be conducted on foot - but the buggers breed faster than we can shoot when there are large numbers of breeding age.

I also agree that creating/utilising labour intensive approaches t building is not the answer - the punters know there is an easier way and it therefore does nothing for their self esteem. Unfortunately tough love does work - bigger police force then wind back the benefit to below subsistence (or remove it altogether after a certain period).

Rangi, if it is so efficient why do we still have a opossum problem?? When I came to Northland there wern't any opossums, now I catch one in the trap every other night! I seem to remember that the plant that manufactures the pellets they are dropping is owned by a couple of retired nationjal party pollies or at least if not now it used to be. :crazy: :roll:

One of the top policemen in Northland has been saying they have been pulling mariuana plants for the last 38 years, failed project! sound similar? Hell yeah,. :eh: :shh: :silent:

Aerial drops of poison are the most effective way of eliminating pests from large areas, and the ecological benefits are well worth it. Hunting and trapping will slowly get most of the pests, but this is an efficient and relatively rapid way of doing it.

They also didn't realise the impact of introducing non native species of plants and animals in New Zealand would do. They thought "no problem", much the same as the pro poisoning the environment lobby thinks now.

The latest Listener mag has an article about 1080.

The article is pro 1080, and some of the positives are pretty compelling. The best positive is that they kill the possums with bait, and the stoats are killed by eating the dead possums. With other poisons, the dead possum is not toxic so the stoats then move onto eating the birds.

Remember when the rabbit virus knocked them back a few years ago. The hungry stoats devastated the penguin population instead. :(

The negatives being the killing of the birds we are trying to protect.

Apparently they have got alot better at avoiding this, and the occurence has dropped accordingly.

The water quality issue isn't so clear cut though. The detractors say that lower levels of 1080 than can be detected by testing is harmful to humans.

It's Not a Big area one or two people could cover it easily and keep an eradication program going for a year. They don't seem to have finished the fence so unless they are going to post signs to keep the rats and stoats out it looks like they will be at it again next year.

The Americans tried broadcast spray programs in Vietnam which killed a lot of Americans some years later but failed to solve the immediate problem. So someone convince me that broadcast poisoning works. we as humans seem very good at killing off most of the good guys and very little of the bad guys, how many Afghans died before they finally got Osama?

They should just Nuke the area, it will come back.

Eventually.

NO sh*t! don't do that they will miss and hit my house.

Archived