hullsuperscrub - are these any good?

Farrari

i jump in the tide...not personal choice but preferred by owners

get a broom, bend end, put float (coke bottle) on underside. trouble with a broom is you struggle to get into the corners around the rudder/keel/sail drive and you cant polish under the bulb.

KM and I looked into a "commercial" version of one of these about mid last year, with the idea we could create a "service" of cleaning hulls for people, while still in the water. Have some lad scoot out with an inflatable to a boat on a mooring or in a Marina and have the Bum scrubbed before a Race. But upon doing some asking about, we found that Marinas and Councils did not like the idea of Hulls being cleaned in the water. Now it's not like we are taking all the anti-foul right off, it was just a scrub. But nope, all cleaning is expected to be done out of the water. So we did not go ahead. I also notice that many drying grids around now have signs to say something similar to no Hull cleaning.

Hi Farrari,

The product itself is pretty good. We have used one for a while. The elbow or something broke and we got it replaced, I think for free. Or at least just the part we needed, not the whole thing.

If you want to go fast for racing they don't really cut the mustard - need a diver. But if you want to keep the bum from looking like a mussle farm between haul outs yes they are good. The multiple adjustments are good for getting most bits of the hull accept tight bits.

We used one with a soft, highly ablative antifoul. Cleans it up effectively, but the life of the anitfoul is reduced considerably (being soft and sweeping it off). We are currently trialling a harder antifoul to allow for more regular cleaning. The hullsuperscrub thing is less effective on the hard antifouls and you need to use the foam bit, not the broom bit. If you are somewhere near tidal piles to dry out on (like Weiti) its almost (is) easier just to dry out and water blast.

There is one school of thought that says the broom bristles leave tracks in soft antifoul that encourage growth faster than good fertiliser...

I'd summarise by saying with hard anitfoul it doesn't really work, and with soft it is effective but be aware of the effect on anitfoul life (i,.e. 2yrs would drop to 18months ish)

KM and I looked into a "commercial" version of one of these about mid last year, with the idea we could create a "service" of cleaning hulls for people, while still in the water. Have some lad scoot out with an inflatable to a boat on a mooring or in a Marina and have the Bum scrubbed before a Race. But upon doing some asking about, we found that Marinas and Councils did not like the idea of Hulls being cleaned in the water. Now it's not like we are taking all the anti-foul right off, it was just a scrub. But nope, all cleaning is expected to be done out of the water. So we did not go ahead. I also notice that many drying grids around now have signs to say something similar to no Hull cleaning.

WHEELS :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:

That is a whole can of worms there. Warning, thread drift :!:

The whole crack down on hull cleaing, use of piles and some bollocks RMA propaganda has huge implicatiosn for the average yachtie trying to keep thier bum clean. Granted you wouldn't dream of setting up an 'official' business dealing with chimicals and in a marine environment, its liek the perfect storm for beuracracy, OSH, EMP IRD etc....

Most resource conesnts for moorings (to occupy the CMA) account for the effects of moored boats dropping antifoul naturally. Almost every mooring location (accept Orakie) require you to keep your boat in 'sea-going' or proper condition. According to the other Govt depart, MAF bio-security, there is a bigger risk to our environment and ecosystem of introduced pests grown on the bottom of poorly maintained yahct hulls.

It is going ot be a major challenge for any club or organisation to maintain suitable hull cleaning facilities when their current resource consent expires. This is a major issue for boat owners. The difference between quietly drying out on poles between tides to maintain your boat, or paying $$$ each time will kill boat ownership for a large numer of people :thumbdown:

nah nah sir, honest. its blue paint. we just clean it all the time.

but what about that blue tint in the water??

well you see hes kind of like a squid...

regular gentle wipes gets us 3 years on force 11 with micron 66 id say more paint falls off at 20 knots than during cleaning

Twasn't quite as bad as it sounds Fish, the gear Wheels and I sussed vacuumed the grunge and filtered it before anything was returned to the sea, just like the Floating Dock and most yards do. That was a important part of the sussing i.e. just where would all the crap end up? Wheels maybe ugly and me stunningly hansom but we are both more Earth friendly than it may appear. But you're right all the same.

There is a Uni Grad doing a study right now on biofouling of boats while moored. Looking to see if there is a difference between where you park, what you use and how you maintain the bottom. The idea is to see if biofouling is more prevalent in some areas than others and so on. She has send out letters to marinas and places asking if they can pass a link on to the boat owners to a quick online survey. I did it this morning and it looks as if she will get a good pile of info.

Some of the stuff seen in the results so far. Around 125 respondents by mid morning.

More people use Altex than any other make of antifoul.

Most people are well aware of biofouling issues.

Most re-antifoul in less than 2 year intervals.

Most clean their boats out of the water i.e floating dock, hard stand etc.

And other quite interesting stuff. I'll see if I can hunt the results down again.

Anyway, in the comments section I did write 'How about taking a look at the fast decreasing number of options most boaters, in AKL at least, now have to clean their bum and the relationship to the spread of nasty organisms. As from where I sit less and less boats will be able to 'do the right thing'.'

Maybe she'll as the Club to tell it's members, in which case you'll get to do it yourself.

But I'll hunt back to see what I can find anyway. It did seem a good thing for her to be doing I thought.

The ladies name is Oriana Brine who is doing a Masters thesis in Marine Science at the Uni of Akl. The target area is Akl Harbour, the marinas and swing moorings in it. But it does also have Pine Harbour Marina and Mangamaugaroa Creek swing moorings. Sorry Fish but you are knot wanted :(

Sorry I can't find a way to the results so far without doing the Survey again. It does say if you wish to receive the findings to contact Oriana (obri005@aucklanduni.ac.nz).

I bought one to keep the bottom of my 930 clean between races. I use a semi-hard antif-foul. After 3 weeks its covered in slime, but a 10 minute session gets it all off, and it looks pretty clean. Elbows are a bit plasticy, but havent broken mine yet. Not sure id use it with soft anti-foul as after a couple of cleans you'd have none left.

Stu

The ladies name is Oriana Brine who is doing a Masters thesis in Marine Science at the Uni of Akl. The target area is Akl Harbour, the marinas and swing moorings in it. But it does also have Pine Harbour Marina and Mangamaugaroa Creek swing moorings. Sorry Fish but you are knot wanted :(

Sorry I can't find a way to the results so far without doing the Survey again. It does say if you wish to receive the findings to contact Oriana (obri005@aucklanduni.ac.nz).

more info and a link to the survey here:

http://www.pineharbour.co.nz/biofouling-survey/

i'd be quite interested to see the final results. i also suspect that circulating it here will add quite a lot of information to the data!

Hi - I'm the researcher Oriana Brine as mentioned above. Found this forum from looking my name up online - if you'd like the results from my research, please send me your email address to the email address mentioned in the previous post and I'll send it to you when I have finished writing up. Great to see enthusiasm about this!

Archived