laser cutting

They can laser cut ply??

apparently so ... a guy over the ditch got some cut for a 3.7... i was just curious to see how much it actually is...

They can laser cut ply??

apparently so ... a guy over the ditch got some cut for a 3.7... i was just curious to see how much it actually is...

Talk to Mike at Mike Pearce boat builders. They used to get the marine ply laser cut for his Starlings. It was only a year or so ago they stopped making them.

No I think he is telling the truth. He states you can sand off the slight amount of charing and you can see the edge is black. Waterjet can do similar as far as very fine accurate cutting just like that. Don't knwo anyone that does it though.

I priced up some water jet cutting last year with a company in Chch, it was between $90 and $150 a meter I think depending on the surface finish of the cut. That was for 20mm steel though. I imagine ply would be a bit cheaper as they can cut it quicker but I would doubt you would get it much below $50 a meter. Laser cutting is slightly cheaper I think especially because there are a few more machines around. You'll have no trouble cutting the ply with laser, you may have to deal with a few mil tolerances. You will have a blackend edge for sure, but it will be of constant depth and is therefore predictable and can be taken into account for. If you want an idea of cost then I would base it off maybe $30 a meter of cut but thats only a slightly educated guess

A cnc will be able to cut ply you need is the tooling to do it. try cutshop in mt wellington they have cut ply in the past and are reasonably priced all you need is a dfx file or a drawing of what you want.

to make the knifes for printing we often use a laser cutter through 20mm Ply, we would supply either and EPS or pdf file for them to work from but if a file is not available we would have the outline drawn on a mylar sheet or something they can work from.

If you want to look at this option Hygrade dies in Auckland may be an option as they have both, is they are not interested contact and local printer and ask who they use to produce there knifes and give them a call.

Archived