ross 830 tuning

a message for revolution blues do you have any photos of the runner set up block sizes measurements iam putting runners back on 830 news we have just put wider spreaders on renewed the standing rigging cheers jeremy

RB has a length of single braid spectra running to about a meter from the stern on each side (can't remember just where the anchor on the mast is, but near the hounds). This attaches to a 2:1 purchase using 8mm line and ~40mm blocks (nothing fancy, from memory), the tail is led forward from the base at the stern either through a deck cleat or winch, depending on the wind strength.

My opinion is that a bit of extra grunt on this line would keep it from failing and shockloading the mast in heavy winds, but that's really only a concern in 25+ knots with a reef already in, etc.

Most of the time in use the runners are hand tight, just keeping the forestay from sagging. I run them to a clip on the base of the stays to keep them tidy when not in use. Hope that helps.

That said, you mind sending a pic of your prod setup? Quid pro quo! :D

we are sailing 830 out of waikawa marlb sounds mainland as you say need to use the vang more the boat was raced by ross when it was launched and won alot against the other 830s looking at a quote build #2.5 which will carry into the lighter end of the scale yet it will handle into the #3 range with out over powering. we will see.

Just an update on the #2 questions from earlier. I had a #2 made that ends just at the stays. It is led to a track on the cabin top inside of the stays. Thus far this has been a fantastic sail to have in 10-15 True upwind, the old gap. The only problem now is that calling the right sail has become more challenging, with changes more frequent!

Revolution blues- Was you out for a sail today? Going over the bridge I saw a bout that looked like a little 830 going through the e7's fleet...

with regards to runners... because of the sexy square top, we cant use a conventional back stay, so we have runners, We have a 6mm? dynex spliced line that goes to the same termination point as the forestay- or there abouts, Then we also have another line 4mm? that goes from the block to the very tip of the mast, But this is to accommodate to having the mast head kites... we have a 2:1 purchase on it, with a jammer on the deck, we use the windward jib sheet winch to tighen it up...

I think that might be a little bit too much for me to say... :silent:

We use a no3 which is more like a no2 foot with no4 height.. its abit inbtween, from 15kts onwards.. dont see the need for a no2... but then again, we can power up alot easier..

Revolution blues- Was you out for a sail today? Going over the bridge I saw a bout that looked like a little 830 going through the e7's fleet...

Oh my, hard to sneak around! Yes, hopefully the fellow getting tiller lessons did not piss off the kids too much :)

830News.jpgthanks for the information just built a new #2 11 square metres hope to carry from 10 to 18 knotts membrane . the prod is pretty basic came with the boat 1.5 metres too short the gennaker 10.10 tac luff foot 6 clew luff 8.5 to can only be used in 90 to 135 degrees the large fractional kite is a good allrounder luff 9.13 foot 5.62 we have stiffened the rig with wider spreaders and spreaders at the top not finished yet hope this helps
reckon you could be keen to take a trip up to weiti to give us a run for our money? :lol:

Oh, sure, why not... Which boat are you? Hmmm, the reference to "square top" I presume Bump and Grind? S**t!

Haha! Maybe a little give away dont you think?

She was up the Weiti for years.

Which boat are you referring to?

Archived