spinnaker retreival problem

ok so, the chute mouth on my i14 is on the port side of the fordeck, and when dropping it the weather sheet (starboard sheet) seems to get caught up in the belly of the sail and eventually pulls all the slack line in with it so the sail and prod will only come in about 2/3rds of the way. and the only way i can think of to stop this is to run the starboard sheet under the retrieval line, but that then means that i wont be able to gybe because the retrieval line will go around the leech. the javelin has the exact same set up and ive never had this problem with it before. any suggestions?

no slack in the retrieval line, but the kite floats way way out from the bow cause the prod is so bloody long, so when you start pulling it in all it does is bundle up on the fordeck for a bit so i think thats when the sheet is getting caught. the javelin kite did the same thing but i never had this problem, ah well bugger gybing. they look to hard anyway. hey just remember ben, you break it you buy it haha

At the bottom of the gennaker the retrieval line should be on the starboard side and should not go under the foot to the Port side of the sail.

That will allow a shorter retrieval line, and it stops the initial bunch up of the foot that is catching your spare sheet.

Retrieval is also easier if you are running very square, it gets harder the tighter up you come.

yeah its like that when the boats on starboard, which will be the only gybe i can drop on cause of the offset chute mouth. and the halyard/retrieval line is already the absolute minimum length. i would make a video to show you whats happening but if i put the kite up now the boat will take off!

The i14's all have offset chutes, every one I know its offset to port.

Take downs are much easier on Starboard Gybe .

Make sure its set up right because the starboard sheet should never go into the chute.

yeah thats what im confused about, the set up is the same as on the javelin which never has this problem. ive tried running the starboard sheet every which way to try and stop it but the only way that works is that way that wont let me gybe the kite

If you flick the lazy sheet higher up the forestay and keep some pressure on both sheets... will that stop the starboard sheet from being dragged into the chute?

How much of a problem is it if a bit of the sheet is dragged in with the kite anyway?

theres nothing for it to catch on to keep the sheet higher up the forstay. its a problem cause it sucks all the weather sheet in until it reaches the knot then it wont let the kite go into the chute all the way

TimW,

So does that mean when on port you want the retreival line to be on the boat side of the spinnaker? So it pulls the middle straight into the tube. And if on starboard the line runs down the outside it tries to turn the spinnaker inside out during the drop? I don't know and I suppose the same applies to a larger boat (eg 8.5m trimaran) that might want a similar drop system and can't get the mouth of the spinnaker tube on the centreline?

Timb

Archived