NZMYC Singlehanded Race Sunday 18th 11am

TimW

Anyway, back to the race on voom

The forecast was for 20-30 in the arvo, so we all expected it to get up. However, the rain that came through after 10 had no wind at all with it. I had the #1 and the #2 on deck, waiting till the very last minute to make a decision. The sensible option was always the #2, but I was concerned about going downhill with no extras, figuring I could change in the lee of motutapu before heading home. Went with the #2 for the start. We all reached toward rangi light in 10 knots max, although as we got close to rangi light, wind picked up a bit. I started flying a hull, so eased traveller. Kept flying a hull, so eased traveller to the stops. Still flying a hull, and getting a bit bow down for my liking. Blew the main sheet, still not happy. Eased jib as well, and started to feel all was well in the world again. Saw on the GPS track later that I had got to 19 knots along here. I had taken all the extras off the boat, so she had bugger all sails on board, and without a crew, she is quite a bit flightier!

TW cleared out to a solid lead down the back, with exodus and I being very closely matched, I sneaked ahead at billy goat point, only due to doing 2 less gybes down the back. In the lee of Motutapu, exodus and I tired to stay in close, out of the tide, but also meant out of the wind. Exodus sneaked past in private puff, and in front is where she stayed. But not by much. Wind slowly built as we got around towards Motuihe, and as we got close to bean rock, a pretty wicked squall came through, with heavy rain and 28 knots of breeze. Was a bit on for a few minutes, and then wind dropped right off again. Exodus could just point so high, she got a way with a couple less tacks than me, and was 3 mins, 4 second in front at finish I think. Tim was 15mins in front, not sure on the times of hyper and Putiki behind. Vooms time was 2:45:35, which is not bad for a round trip of rangi, with no extras I reckon.

Thanks Steve for running the show.

If there was a second person they didn't do bugger all!

I was knackered, it was a great race but getting up there in wind strength a few times.

Difficult to gybe singlehanded in 25 knots and also a bit hairy in 28 knots having to dodge a keelboat motoring into the wind with his sails up, with no idea about what Rules were.

TW got down to Billy Goat point 50 minutes after the start from Orakei.

Hit over 18 knots a number of times, peaked at 20.4 off the GPS.

No question in my mind what so ever that I for one definitely did not want extras!

I agree with you Tim that I probably wouldn't have flown extras yesterday, but I would have liked to have made the decision instead of the race committee. I believe I would have made the right decision, just as you would have.

I had a look at the SH race if we had used Racetrack ratings

New order is:

1 TW

2 Voom

3 Exodus

4 Putiki express

5 Hyper

Seems the handicaps ‘we’ use for hyper and putiki might be a bit low I reckon, based on their performances…

Ken Ormandy

Now this is the sort of work email I like to receive.

Thanks Ken, that cheered me up no end. I was wondering how I could have beaten Putiki by another 22 minutes, it seemed a lot!

I had a look at the SH race if we had used Racetrack ratings

New order is:

1 TW

2 Voom

3 Exodus

4 Putiki express

5 Hyper

Seems the handicaps ‘we’ use for hyper and putiki might be a bit low I reckon, based on their performances…

Ken Ormandy

Thanks Ken, that cheered me up no end. I was wondering how I could have beaten Putiki by another 22 minutes, it seemed a lot!

Tim has since told me I got this all wrong! And I checked again, and I did.

I think I was looking at the rating sailed to or one of the races, rather than the overall rating.

Sorry Tim, that drops you back to 2nd to last, and puts Putiki back in First!

I confess I turned the results over to the data lord and while I held out some hope of a good result for a brief while, it does indeed appear that putiki is going to win no matter what method we try to use.

Not surprising really because when we got back to the bar,John was already there!

Thanks very much anyway though Ken!

Not surprising really because when we got back to the bar,John was already there!

Yeah, guess thats a strong indication he deserved to win, if he finished the race, folded up the boat, towed it out of the water, drove to westhaven, and beat us all there! :D

Well done John! (on the race too) :thumbup:

I reckon we should always use Racetrack.

Whenever I race, I don't really give a toss what handicap position I get, cos it means F all.

You are at the mercy of the handicapper.

e.g Did a rum race where I won by 30 mins, so gave the prize up. I think I p'ed off the Handicapper cos next race my handicap was higher than Hyper! Came last

Wasn't that happy the way handicaps changed so much in the Multi Nationals though, (nearly 10% from 1st race to last) and for this race we definitely have to look a LOT closer at the handicaps.

Oh and Tim

Maybe you should have goosewinged it to Rakino like I did.

there's about 20 mins there straight off

Archived