arr the good old days....IOR rolls

SloopJohnB

Interesting footage of Hitchhiker, notice the turbulence coming out from the bustle around the rudder. Thought they were keeping her under control pretty well - a shooter would have made it look a little more dramatic, but probably hard to find a sailmaker that can make one nowdays?!

but probably hard to find a sailmaker that can make one nowdays?!

I think you would find that ACTUALLY shooters/bloopers could be made much more easily, and possibly even better, today than back when sailmakers were making a lot of them. With computer aided sail design sailmakers can model the sail in 3D before starting the build, so getting the shooter/blooper shape right would be much easier now and involve a lot less guesswork/experience and recutting than in their heydays.

My main is relatively skinny so might be able to set one - that would be quite fun, and I'm sure my crew was saying during the SSANZ that he wanted more work to do on the foredeck... Only one kite halyard, so would need to use the headsail halyard, and could maybe sheet off the boom using the reefing line. Like John B said, I can't imagine what could go wrong!

I see Sailbrokers have one for sale for $90 - hmmm....

It's funny looking at that IOR design nowadays, with today's planning hulls in mind. The thing does manage to actually plane at times with the wake flattening out but for much of the time it looks like a rugby ball being forced through the water dragging up a huge wake. Makes you wonder why the IOR desingers didn't look at them at the time and think "This just looks wrong, the hull wants to go faster, there has to be another way!"

Actually Rocket I think I may still have it downstairs in the workshop, it wasn't in bad nick so we may not be talking about the same one - dark blue.

Might dig it out one day and make EE look really ugly and mental to sail.

Archived