Youth Offshore sailing team

nz moth

Hey, what do you think of the idea of having a youth offshore sailing team in NZ? if there isn't such a thing already. The team would sail coastal and blue water races around NZ and the greater south Pacific.

Forget about money and the things that are going to make this idea hard and tell me what you think.

Would there be anyone on here that would be interested in being part of the team? ( 16-19)

Thanks

Last 4 CCs most of the crew have been either students or recent students of the College where I teach. Keep them off the grog, treat them as young men and they are great crew. Awesome idea but they are hard on gear so sponsors/owners need to keep them a little in check.

sorry, that came out wrong, it will happen, but would probably take a good 5months to a year to get going and a fair some of the $$$ but i do think it is a great idea, would be surprised if it has not been thought of already... there would be quiet a few teens that would be keen on this, one of them including me :)

Very very very keen

But normally youth is up to 21 i believe?

Are you thinking of something similar to:

http://www.oakcliffsailing.org/offshore/

but NZ based and with an even more youth oriented goal?

As far as i can find, most of the offshore development teams seem to have slightly higher age limits.

Probably to do with difficulties finding enough high school and possibly even uni aged kids who can take enough time off from learning to do more then 1-2 off-shore races a year, and the supposed lack of maturity that younger people have :wink:

Im 19 now, so its hard to say what i would have thought of it at 16, but if i was able to do it now, id seriously look into it.

possibly what sort of races? id need to get some new gear for it, but am very keen, being 16... and crewed on a couple of fat boats... no doubt a few people from the youth squadren in town would be keen aswell

very true about the age being up to 21. The team would sail races like the Auckland to Musket cove, Coastal Classic, Around Nz races and Maybe the Hobart. This is just some of them and there would be a lot of around the can stuff and trainning before we did this.

Having offshore experience isn't the biggest thing but is important. The team would have to be 100% dedicated to it just like any other professional team. The main goal would be to have a team of youth sailors that can maybe one day evolve into a team for a Volvo, thats big picture.

i'd deffenitly be in, as a bowman of course. nz moth, i may have a few contacts that could help out. hey plash, can i borrow a few grand? and smithy, can i borrow your boat?

i'd deffenitly be in, as a bowman of course. nz moth, i may have a few contacts that could help out. hey plash, can i borrow a few grand? and smithy, can i borrow your boat?

j, we dont want a dropped mast first time out, considering your past :lol:

luke, if you cant take sh*t then dont dish it out brother. hey i know, we can all work on my mini for a solid 6 months then use that as our youth team boat. b.y.o boat building materials

Archived