Yamaha 8hp running hot

crocodile

My outboard runs hot and the telltale spouts steam/water - presumably telling me something! I have removed and cleaned out all the water jacket plates/holes, inlet pipe, impeller seems ok and I cannot see anything wrong except for the following:

1. the thermostat was basically a hole, possibly a previous owner trick as it is quite clean. I would not think this would cause overheating anyway?

2. the telltale gasket has a hole above the telltale spout due to overzealous cleaning but since there is a hole in the gasket about 10mm away serving the same chamber (as far as I can see) this should not be a problem?

3. The exhaust outlet (the downward pointing thingy that ends about halfway down to the lower unit) also seems to be the outlet for the cooling water. The tube has a large hole in the side close to the engine case (the upper end). I suspect the power end of the tube should be submerged and the exhaust is via water and then to the prop exhaust. Would this hole result in hot exhaust air heating up the entire outboard, appearing to be an overheating issue? Would this affect water flow cooling?

4. As a further complication in trying to remove the exhaust outlet I suspect I have sheared a bolt - those bolts are *^^%# tight! What do I do about that?

All help most welcome!

The "stream" is very hot and the whole block/chassis seems to get way too hot.

The impeller sems ok to me. All fins ok, spline ok, etc. Only thing is the fins are quite stiff and dont flex much. I think it only fits one way so I presume it is not back to front or anything like that?

You could stuff around with a full pump kit incl the housing etc but it sounds exactly like my 8hp - exactly the same symptoms and it just stopped, never to start again.

Probably the same vintage (20years) and also never washed out properly....

Go see Rhys at Ovlov service in ORAMs drystack, if he cant fix it he will sort a good price on a new one for you.

Guess you could start it for a second with one of the water jacket covers off and see how much water comes out? That will at least tell you whether the impellor is pumping?

Run it for quite a while in a freshwater tank with a really good dose of de-salting stuff in it, Salt away or something like that. There are quite a few different products that will clean all the old encrusted salt out of the water jackets,one that I know of being used to great effect is commonly sold as a water cleaning agent for spa pools, (crystal clear or something like that?). Make sure you flush it all out again afterwards with another tank of clean fresh water.

I reckon it could be the same as the issue I had, sounds just like it - grunge build up.

I took off/un did what I could and jambed a garden hose onto the system and pushed as much pressure thru the system as I could. KNot much happened at 1st but then the drops turn to a tiny stream then a bigger stream, all the while small bits of grey crusty bit came out with the water. Then WHAM, a bigger pile of crusty bit and the water was flowing real good. Then stuck OB in a 44gal drum of water with some of that 'Salt Way' in it and I let it run for 30mins odd. I'm told dishwashing liquid would do the same but having tried it watch for LARGE amounts of foam spewing out everywhere, quite cool but rather messy.

Worked a treat and she's been mint ever since.... but I do try to run it when I can, just in the drum if knot on the boat.

That was a 8hp 2-stroke Johnson.

I think that when they are left to sit for a while the cooling system just blocks up with grunge, dried salt basically. I think it was just the pressure that blew enough out to get the water flowing enough it dissolved the rest sort of a thing.

That Saltaway is another waste of time stuff. Sure it desolves salt, not saying it doesn't work at doing that. But so does plain ole water. That's why Salt doesn't settle to the bottom of the seas out there. It readily desolves in water. A good flush will work wonders at cleaning Salt from an outboard.

Archived