Companionway Hatch Fixing - materials and suppliers?

Kaihe Atamai

My companionway boards are damaged and getting on and I thought I'd replace them. They are currently 5mm thick, darkened, all plastic - not sure which type of plastic. I'd also like to redo the wood around the companionway while I'm at it.

So I was wondering if anyone would be able to give:

- advice on which material to use (lexan/polycarbonate vs. acrylic/perspex/PMMA)

- advice on regulations if any

- suppliers names (just for the sheet - I can cut)

- special preparation / films for scratch resistance, etc

- where to get teak on the cheap

Thanks!

I got all my perspex (or whatever it is) redone by Modern Plastics, 190 Victoria Street in the city.

I took all the old pieces into them, which they then used as templates for the new bits. Two days later i popped in and the new bits were done for a very reasonable price (a few hundred dollars IIRC)

The guys in there do a fare bit of boat-work and know there stuff, hence i just trusted them to provide the right material for the job. I dont even recall what it was, but 12 months later its all looking good.

Thanks TL - also found psp plastics - offering a hardened perspex (resist) and UV-protected polycarbonate. This would address the reported problems with each (poor scratch resistance for perspex and UV degredation for PC).

Just wondering if it's worth the effort, or if the usual bog-standard perspex would do the job well enough.

Definitely Timspec in Mt Roskill. A bitch of a driveway and a bit hard to find as they are down a right of way.

Great guys, real helpful. Often have off cuts and second hand pieces of teak off boats.

I've bought mahogany, ash (to build a work of art laminated tiller extension - God knows why :roll: ) and teak off them.

I think Lexan is a better quality material than polycarb, I struggled to find anyone that stocked it, then was put on to a company called Taylormade which do, I dont have their contact info, but Im sure they will be in yellow pages

I think Lexan is a better quality material than polycarb, I struggled to find anyone that stocked it, then was put on to a company called Taylormade which do, I dont have their contact info, but Im sure they will be in yellow pages

My understanding is that Lexan IS polycarbonate - the original brand of it anyway - and might well be better than the unbranded stuff - thanks for the supplier name, I'll check it out.

Yes Lexan is a brand name of Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is not good with UV. It loses half it's strenght in just 12months. It also scratches very easily. However, I have heard there is a new Polycarb out that has a lamination over it to give it UV prtection and scratch resistance. No idea what it is called, so worth and ask at the suppliers.

Yes Lexan is a brand name of Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is not good with UV. It loses half it's strenght in just 12months. It also scratches very easily. However, I have heard there is a new Polycarb out that has a lamination over it to give it UV prtection and scratch resistance. No idea what it is called, so worth and ask at the suppliers.

Hyzod AR sheet

http://www.portplastics.com/plastics/co ... ARSHE.html

I used this stuff on my old boat - 3years on still crystal clear.

Archived