white island race

better looking spread of boats now

Looks like it could be another hell yeah ride to cuvier.

Had a few good rides to that island now.

Shame about having to turn the corner. at a quick glance it looks like one of the longer legs of the race.

is it friday yet.

Oracle is doing the NOT WHITE ISLAND RACE that left today and they called at 12:30 saying after a conservative start they have the small kite up with about 1 1/2 hours to Channel Island, not sure how they are going to perform upwind as one of the mainsail battens is now at the bottom of Westhaven marina.

I watched the start and first 20 minutes or so. Looked like fun.

Overload started conservatively, took a short leg out toward Rangi channel, gybed, launched one of the largest gennys in the fleet and then took off. They proceeded to overtake the whole field (at least that's what it looked like to me) by about Brown's Island. They may in fact have still been behind Ricki and the rather large luxury looking thing.

Truxton also took a while to get going, with a much more conservative choice of extra, but was starting to make up ground when I left and looked set to be fourth through Motuihe.

In the same period Pork Chop had already had a couple of moments, but was going well.

Finished at 7:57 on Equilibrium. A great race, some trying conditions and alot of good fun!

Full report and photos coming soon :-)

By god Overload was off on the way to Channel Island! We were flying and they walked past us like standing still.

Yep one of my crew disovered the difference between the halyard and the downhaul not long after the start..

Good tough slogfest of a race. Was pleasing to round Poor Knights within 100m of two other boats..pity we couldnt hold onto them past Omaha.

Good work skinner and thank your crew for keeping it so close!

well.... what a race.......

couple of great days sailing.......few tense moments. but glad to finish and beat those stewarts that just keeep on going.

damage list..

- lost mainsil No. 3 batten before leaving marina.

- blown 3/4 kite at channel doing 16.6kn apparently 35 knots wind is too much for it now.

- small tear in mainsil from not having No. 3 battern.

- broken lower D1 shroud on starboard side.

so glad to finish, story and pic's later.

Can anyone tell me were RAYC has hidden the sled times.

Damage list

Kit pole in Chinese off waiheke

Got to trial some new heavy weather gear for offshore

Will write a full report when I can find rounding times

Archived