white island race

well no pics... the rigger got down and took of the old broken stay (with about 9 strands hanging off) before i got back with camera.

so ...the race in breif.

got to the boat with newly repaired main (after i put a litttle tear in it in the RYC solo race, putting a reef in). fitted the main and then the 5 full length batterns... but got distracted with something and lay down the No.3 batten in cockpit, this is where it started going wrong.) the batten went strainght out the large cockpit scupper hole.. into the depths of westhaven marina... being close to high tide we didnt fancy our changes of retrieving it, but went in for a swim anyway. bob got tot he bottom... 5m deep, with little vis, had asearch around, but o luck.

so we decide to head out and hoist the main and see what shape it takes, hoisted it doesn't look too bad, so radio in and prepare to race.

being abit behind the eight ball, but at the line we start on time mid fleet, unfurl the jib, sit back and take stock. (have a cup of tea)

the wind isnt too bad but we decide to take it easy and hoist the kite in the motuihe channel after the jybe. (we're still mid fleet.)

jybe over hoist...and we'e off...25 kn from behind ...sitting on 9-10,s. get ut a bit further by and before noises jybe over and head alond parallel to waiheke.but out in the outgoing tide...and in the bigger waves as oracle lifes to surf. wind up a bit 25-30kn ..and we'ee doing up to 14/15 s

get to the lay line to channel and jybe again ..... guess i should point out here were, a 32 foot keeler and 4 ton, with 2 people on board.

a nice jybe on a surf, and were off, Danaide had dropped their kite earlier, and were passed them a while ago, we now have Promise and coppelia, in our sights.

breeze is getting up more.... 30-35...and we are getting up and planing...now at 15-16, for long bursts... channel island is looming, so we make a plan to drop for the corner at channel,

we'e all set for the drop, i tll bob, just finish this puff....that just seems to keep on going...speed is up ...and up ...16.6...and boom.....our 3/4 -1.5 ounce kite blows the head out. bob loos at me and we proceed to drop in the lettterbox style.

it comes ion nicely, except for about the 1.5m still at the top of the mast.

we decide to deal with that later, wind is now 40.2, on my wind gear, 44.6 on now casting.

gybe over set the jib and broad reach off to cuvier, cup of tea time.

full main and No.2 jib, we are getting along nicely... 12-14's

wind is still up and we hatch a plan o get down our involuntarily flag, nicely part of it that worked was when we unfurled the jib, it wrapped part of the remaining kite on the forestay and kept it out of the way.

about 8 miles past channel wind starts to ease down from the peak we saw of 43.5

we furl the jib a bit, the kite head frees itself, bob kits up in harness and autohelm on, he climbs i tail. bob gets to the 3/4 stage of teh nast and grabs the kite head and halyard, i let him down,

. job done.

wind is now down to about 25 with left over swell, we set No, 2 jib again.

wind dies some more to 15 about 4 miles from cuvier. so we hoist the big blue kite, (120sm off farr 40) this gets us gong and we pass coppelia, with promise out to our starboard.

our apparent wind is about 90 degrees. and the big kite drags us over but we are honking.....

to good to be true, but time for a cup of tea.....

now wind gets up a bit and we wipe out.... broach...

quick drop on kite, and back to No,. 2 jib. savig the kite for another time if needed.

close to cuvier now, and round just behind promise and coppelia

in the lee of cuvier we put 1 reef in the main, get past and are off. 25-30 kn tight reach.... a little overpowered.

sitting on about 8.5-9

so far we had 4 hours to channel, 1.5 hours to cuvier,

now the long reach to poor knights.

we settle in, with oracles old (barn door ) rudder, she is heavy on a reach. so we swap out regulary.

up behind arid island we change down to No. 3 jib, this settles her down a bit.

in the calm past arid bob cooks up a mean dinner, chicken, and freshly cut stir fried vegies.

now another cup of tea.

getting to nine pin, its dark and we see promise out wide and danaide just inside us,, coppelia ahead.

bob down for first sleep at 2100, i carry on after putting in another reef inthe main, all is good, a little chilly and a few splashes over the bow, but nice. i wake bob at 2300, brief him, kit him up and go down for a bit of kip,

wind is 25-32 tight reaching with 2 reefs main and No .3 jib.

im back up again at 0030 and put the kettle on. have some chocolate and resume helming. bob down at 0100 after briefing me. weather is status quo. i carry on till 0300 nibbling on muesli bars and chocolate.

bob up and is groggy, but enthusiastic. sails and weather still the same, (wasn't it supposed to ease some time???

, im down for a little snooze.

0430 am back up again at bobs tapping on the seat above my head, wind is down a little and we shake out a reef,

kettle on for a cup of tea....

bob down for a snooze at 0500, not far to poor knights now.

win angle changes a little for the lay in, now on the wind, but behind pooor knights its calmer, bob is snooring..!

inthe shadow i hanker for a little more sail, but wait till we are out the other side, and at 0600 we tack over and head for home.

its daylight and bob is up, making .....weet bix for breakfaasty.... and a cup of tea...

we settle in keeping aboove the rum line to sail rock on a tight reach again, (opposite tack) wind is up and we go back to No, 2 reef inthe main. its a beautiful morning... a few hours after tidtying the boat, all is rosy we can see 2 boats about 2 miles ahead, and no one in sight behind.

still tight reaching in 25-30 knots about 1100 i got for a little snooze, hen and chicks are approaching, we are well above rum line, for the out going tide from whangarei. but not enough it appears, we end up being on the wind in 35 knots and lumpy seas and clear sail rock by about 500m, looking up the top of the mainsil is flapping wildly, in quick appraisil the headboard is adrift from the mast. we asume caused from the misssing No. 3 battern adn the slight flapping it caused. we ease sheets to a tight reach and head for kawau.

in the lee at Leigh , we drop the main and fix the head board. rehoist and we are off.

about now i tll bob i noticed a single strand off on our lower d1 shourd on the starboard side (windward) back at sail rock..

not good.

we hatch a plan , bob takes the helm and i find a long piece of 8mm spectra. we double it over and bob goes up the mast.

he loops it over the oppostie side spreader and back down he comes. ties it off at teh shroud base and then we take the bilge pump stainless bar handle and make a turnbuckle and tighten it.

we carry on out past kwau and into the chop. 25-30 on the nose. 2 reef main and No.3 jib 1/3 furled. i helm and get us over the worst of the lumpy seas. by tiri the tide is in full swing against eh wind so real pot holes to avoid now. wind is same , but we have lost another 7 strands off the shroud, !! we tack over and head inland towards gulf harbour to flatter water, bob tightens the turnbuckle , half an hour later in flat water we tack over again and see how the mast looks , preparing to down sail and motor in.

but al looks good mast is stainght and the spectra has taken the load. we ease sheets a little and tight reach into takapuna.

ease a litle more and head ofr north head, wind is still 25 but we are in flat seas, out of the tide,

we see 2 boats laying in from out wind, copelia and danaide are long in the distance ahead.

we cut north head as close as we can with out oosing wind. and on the wind over to orakei. only small lumpy seas for about 5 minutes and we are accross the harbour, all reefed down and a bit slow. tack over and we finish, !!!

promise come in about 2 minutes behind us... A great race..!

NRWI 2011

Danaide

This was our final qualifier for Two Handed Round NZ, so for us it was all about finishing and tiring out some new Evolution Sails IRC furling heavy weather options.

But of course it was still a race.

The Start

Most were conservative with the out going tide and 15kts both behind us but Overload was soon smoking off, the Pork Chariot was the first to have issues and more than just once but everyone soon had the big gear up which made the tide in Motuhi channel interesting.

Next we sore Sureal heading into Matiatia to perform a classic rock in roll gybe which had all the looks of going horribly wrong but came out good in the end.

As for us we fat sacked it ddw and got out to Durville rock before we needed to gybe, we had been waiting for a lull as gybing a 120sqm kite on a 38ftr two handed in 30kts has its challenges at times, The lull didn't come and was looking like building from astern so we decided to just do it, As we set up a burst of speed to around 15kts found things somewhat difficult helming and playing with string and we broached followed by back on our feet to Chinese wrap the pole around the side stays and snap it in half not to mention putting the top of the mast in the piss and half filing the cockpit.

But then as always she pops back on her feet and were off again at 12kts with the main blanketing the now collapsed kite, so we grabbed it quickly whilst the chance was there, stowed the now two piece pole and unfurl the HW jib and point the bow at channel.

We are still doing 10 in the lulls and 14s on the burst and seeming to hold our ground with the fleet with the breeze still building

One boat comes through closer to channel with a kite up probably Oracle but not sure as we are by now have lots of fun surfing down waves and are by now quite pleased to not have the kite up, we then gybe at channel and the nowcasting is saying 38 gusting 45kts this is were we get our top speed for the race 17.6kts under full main and HW jib (who needs a kite anyway)

It gets a bit lighter as we approach Cuvier but we seem to be sitting on the front of a wind line so actually pull a bit back on the 3 the round ahead

Ave speed for leg 10kts

Leg 2

Blast reaching from Cuvier to the Knights with one tuck in the main and HW jib

The first part was rather lumpy with the sea coming through Colville but once behind Barrier it was great, we just rotated crew as required which isn't ideal but doable on a fast race like this.

Caught Oracle just on dark at the Needles then started chasing the stern light on the horizon. Around 4am approx worked out it was Coppilia as they called up rounding not far ahead but its always hard to judge in the dark

Ave speed for leg 8kts

Leg 3

Daylight brought a dropping breeze and we we found the lower limit for the HW jib to be a bit more than we had but made reasonable progess with the main full but in hindsight should have changed up to the genoa, at this point Coppilia cleared out on us but once we reached Bream head we were pleased to have not changed up,

Cracked off abit from Sail to Rodney then mostly hard on the wind home, Crossed the line at 17.22 just 55min behind Coppilia and 1hr 20min ahead of Oracle

Great sail and good chance to do some sail trialling , bring on the big one.

Ave speed for whole race 7.5kts

SH PHRF 5th

OS PHRF 6th

IRC DFL

On Expedition Coppelia our plan for this race was very much to minimise damage both to the boat and ourselves. With only 10 weeks ish to the Round New Zealand race, we can ill afford to be add anything to our to do list.

Rob as usual placed the boat in the right place at the start and we immediately hoisted our Expedition smaller fractional kite. We were slightly under powered at times, but were happy in the puffs and able to gybe at will.

Low level coastal jets and topographic effects are a topic on learning on our boat at the moment, and both theory and experience indicated that there would be increased wind in the Colville Channel. So as the wind increased near Channel Island, we dropped the kite and sailed under poled out headsail. Rob took a much needed rest and cooked mince pies, while I sailed the boat to Cuvier.

After Cuvier the wind really did start to blow, we both knew this would not last long, so we dropped the main until we got behind Great Barrier Island. Thus saving our poor mainsail from a thrashing. After the Needles we decided that a double reefed main would be fine.

We passed Promise early in the evening and did not see another yacht in the race till we finished. We rounded the Poor Knights, and heard Danaide call in, thou at the time we could not see them. From here is was a two sail reach that became tighter as we closed on this finish, we finally went to full main close to Kawau.

Overall we had a good time, we were able to test our new NEXUS Auto Pilot in a variety of conditions . It performed very well... How did we sail Round the North Island without one? Best of all Kiwi Yachting came up with a solution that enabled us keep our super grunty high torque RAM, from our previous 1990's pilot. This means it is up to steering the Farr 38 in the most manly of weather!

Archived