Maybe a new Anti-foul

wheels

Harvard has developed a new material they call SLIPS. It is one of the most slippery materials ever created apparently. It never gets dirty, because nothing can stick to it.

SLIPS (Slippery Liquid Infused Porous Surface) was inspired by carnivorous pitcher plants, whose slippery, cylindrical leaves slide insects into the digestive juices at the base of the plant. The surface of the leaves' spongelike texture is infused with water, which repels the sticky oils on insects' feet.

The material is "omniphobic," repelling both water and oil-based materials. Liquids from oil and water to blood all roll right off the material when it's tilted at merely 2 degrees, compared to 5 to 30 degrees for other surfaces.

The lubricating liquid in SLIPS seeps into any holes in the Teflon, so the material is also self-repairing. And because liquid does not compress at high pressure, the material works at the pressures found seven kilometers underwater.

And because liquid does not compress at high pressure, the material works at the pressures found seven kilometers underwater.

So we can safely assume the next Aussie AC challenge boat should have that on it then :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Harvard has developed a new material they call SLIPS. It is one of the most slippery materials ever created apparently. It never gets dirty, because nothing can stick to it.

SLIPS (Slippery Liquid Infused Porous Surface) was inspired by carnivorous pitcher plants, whose slippery, cylindrical leaves slide insects into the digestive juices at the base of the plant. The surface of the leaves' spongelike texture is infused with water, which repels the sticky oils on insects' feet.

The material is "omniphobic," repelling both water and oil-based materials. Liquids from oil and water to blood all roll right off the material when it's tilted at merely 2 degrees, compared to 5 to 30 degrees for other surfaces.

The lubricating liquid in SLIPS seeps into any holes in the Teflon, so the material is also self-repairing. And because liquid does not compress at high pressure, the material works at the pressures found seven kilometers underwater.

Impressive!

Wow, that's pretty cool. I just looked it up a bit more. Thanks, Wheels.

The paper explaining this in super geek format is in Nature.

T Wong et al.,

Nature 477, 443–447 (22 September 2011)

Bioinspired self-repairing slippery surfaces with pressure-stable omniphobicity.

I'm not sure if everyone can access that paper, but if you can't and want to read about it in the aforementioned geek format PM me and I'll send it on as .pdf.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v477/n7365/full/nature10447.html

My question: Does the lubricating fluid leak out eventually? If so that porous surface would be awesome for things to live in...

Here's a brain teaser for ya's all. So if a surface is totally hydrophobic, does it actually float in water :wink:

omniphobicity.

Is that the Capital City where all the Omniphobes live? Wow, So many big words for so early in the morning Dr W. My head hurts now.

Well shoot me for thread drift then Wheels. I like the idea of something being super-hydrophobic. Lots of places where that could be useful too.

That stuff looks awesome!! wonder if it available in NZ?

So if it does not stick to anything. How will it stuck the the hull?

Just wait for a oil spill in the gulf and go for a sail. upon return apply the new anti foul

Sounds amazing, but anytime I hear engeneered "nano" I get worried.

If it is a true nano particle then it has the ability to penertrate most living cell walls. I have no faith nano partical development at the moment is (or can) take into consideration "unexpected outcomes".

Not at all being a ludite, a good solution to the massive problem of antifouling is needed.

Archived