Lazy Jacks

ab1974

Thinking I should fit some Lazy Jacks to the yacht before the Xmas cruise to make life a little easier when dropping the main for me and my short handed crew (wife, 3yo and 5 month old).

I want a retractable (or removable) system like the http://www.jiffyjax.com/

How have you guys done it? Or what do you use to assist dropping the main. Not interested in a stackpac or dutchman system. How did you procure the lazy jacks - DIY, off the shelf, sailmaker, rigger etc??

Yacht is an Elliott 7.9. Not a huge boat but reasonably big main (fully battened).

When I fitted my lazy jacks, I tried that version, but didn't like it. Only because I have a lot of gear on the boom and Mast and pulling even more lines along both just got all messy. I have a peice if bungy fitted to the lower spreader across to the lazyjack line that pulls the Lazyjack back clear when it is lose. I tension and lossen the Lj line from the front of the mast.

We ditched the lazy jacks on our Whiting 29 due to more hassle hoisting main and getting battens caught than any advantage gained when dropping. Tried different configurations but eventually won the argument with the admiral and now we have no extra string up there. 7000+ Nm and no grief.

Pretty easy to do and cheap. Mine just hooks up along the boom and mast for when you want to raise sail. Actually, if care is taken these should not cause much trouble when raising the main as long as pointed fairly into the wind. I'll try to make a drawing tomorrow and post it.

Xmas Cruise = Reefing lines in sails, just in case.

One option is to put the spinnaker halyard under the spreaders on the leeward side and clip onto /around the boom at about half way e.g. onto boom vang. Light tension as some times a bit of slack is useful so the full length batterns fall between the boom and the halyard

Then when dropping, take up on the reefing lines, which will pull the leechs to the end of the boom and then the rest will be easy to simply drop & wrap a tie around. Drop the pick and then tidy the main if you really really really really want to, after first quenching your thirst of course. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I made a "stack pack", so the LJ's need to be there to hold up the pack. But yes I do occassionaly get the battern caught and it is a pain, but being able to drop the Main straight into the bag in a blow is just so easy, I put up with it. But once again, if I opull the LJ forward before hoisting, it lessens the catching problem. I have a piece of bungy that when I slacken the LJ, it pulls the LZ forward to the mast.

Hmmm, does get me thinking whether I set up something temporary for the xmas cruise, given most of the sailing is Wednesday night racing with crew so Lazy Jacks generally not required.

Expanding on Paul's post and even Bogan's post from February thread, I could run the spin pole uphaul under the spreader down around the boom behind the point where the mainsheet attaches to the boom and clip it back on to itself. Then do the same with the spin halyard on the otherside of the boom. Could then simply tie a line with a rolling hitch to the spin halyard a meter or so up the halyard, down under the boom in front of the vang and back up to the spin uphaul to give me a triangle.....

Or maybe even better:

A piece of bungy (or line) attached to each side of the boom at mainsheet with other end running to the vang with a loop in the middle of the bungy (or line). Could be attached at each end with a carabiner or hook so easy to remove when sailing.

Bring Spin Halyard and Spin uphaul under the spreader and attach to the loop in the bungy on each side of the boom. Pull up on the halyard and uphaul and bingo a temp set of lazy jacks. Too easy or am I missing something??

Obviously not as quick to deploy as dedicated lazy jacks, but would atleast allow me to see if Lazy Jacks are for me or not without having to fit saddles to the boom and have a trip up the mast to fit blocks at the spreaders.....

Gidday AB, I'm the "Terry" that started the other thread on lazy jacks.

I installed them several months ago - luv 'em.

Like you, when you've got racing crew on board, lazy jacks aren't reqd. But, when you've got inexperienced crew, or children, or family who don't want drama - and you want "easy living" because you're cruising - then you can't beat lazy jacks.

I never get the main (which is fully battened) hooked up in them when hauling the sail up because I never deploy them when raising the sail. Can't see why I'd need to.

Mine are adjustable and pull forward to the mast when not in use - so no chafe, no extra string bouncing around - and it looks "better".

I often don't use them at all - if it's calm-ish. But they come into there own when there's a sea running and there's only wife and daughter and me on board.

Cost less than $60 to set up - plus a morning shagging around getting them even. A lot easier to do than I thought it would be - which is the reverse of my usual projects! :lol:

Everyone's different, Pwederall didn't like them for his Whiting 29. Fair enough. My yachts a Whiting 29 and I luv them!

So he and I disagree - but we agree on the main thing - Whiting 29's rock!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no right answer, just what suits you.

Sure, it's nothing special. I'm on K at Westhaven.

PM me.............. (I say that but I've no idea how it works 'cause I've not done it before!) - if it doesn't work just post back here and I'll give you my number.

Look at the RED menu bar just above the crew.org.nz picture banner, to the right of Logout [TerryB] and click on the next item "1 new message".

I just sent you a test one.

Hi AB. I have a very similar system to the one in the link you posted, on Marshall Law, a Ross 40. Without them, dropping the main is a nightmare with only one person handling it. With them, it is a breeze. :thumbup: :thumbup: Hoisting, I don't bother with them, and I have had no problems.. Never caught a batten. Cruising with the family would be a lot harder without them for sure..

Thanks PaulR - have replied to PM but stuck in outbox and has been all afternoon. Not sure if others ever have this issue???

it stays in the out box untill the person on the other end opens it? that seems to be the case with me...

We've got a stackpack on a Davidson 47. Makes short-handed sailing a doddle. Reefing is easy with no masses of reefed main flogging about ... means we're more likely to reef early and often (just as the wife prefers). Yes there can be a little bit of fiddling about when we raise the main, but its not that bad at all .... the trade-off is well worth it, in my opinion.

The sketch is similar to our setup except we have a long boom and have 4 boom attachment points and 3 rings (whereas that one shows 3 boom attachment points and 2 rings).

Thanks PaulR - have replied to PM but stuck in outbox and has been all afternoon. Not sure if others ever have this issue???

Got it now. Stuck in your outbox just means the recipitant has not yet read it.

Personally I have been away from my PC from mid-day and then went Wednesday Night racing then to Squaddy for results, then home, cook & eat my dinner, put the rubbish and recycling bins out to kerbside, checked SailonLine, altered course, poured a Mt Gay nightcap and only now onto the PC, 12 hours later.

Now it's tomorrow

Archived