Sulphur / Rotten egg smell

ab1974

On start up of my new diesel motor I get a strong sulphur smell if it has been sitting for a week or so. Smell lasts 20 seconds then diasppears. Smell doesn't seem to be there when I restart after sailing for a couple of hours.

Haven't had the engine guys on site yet to inspect but talking to them we are drawing a blank as to what it could be.

Smell comes out of the exhaust - nothing of note in the cabin.

Any thoughts???

Seawater sitting around in an unused coolant system can go off and typically has that rotten egg smell. I'm guessing you only get the smell when its been a few days/weeks since you last ran your motor?

Same ting can happen in dunnies if the water has been sitting around for a while - no biggei and nothing nasty is happening - in a dunny it can work in ones favour as you can then blame the sulphur smell as a residual issue in the pipes!

Same ting can happen in dunnies if the water has been sitting around for a while - no biggei and nothing nasty is happening - in a dunny it can work in ones favour as you can then blame the sulphur smell as a residual issue in the pipes!

I have often flushed the head at sea before arrival at marina, then flushed again using fresh water hose & cleaner. Seems to stop the smell factors as fresh water has fewer things that can die.

Further if you have put fresh water through, you know it is clean once again. Some then suggest a bit of vegetable oil to keep rubbers lubricated.

Then sealed with a couple of strips of gaffer tape to discourage usage for short harbour sails.

The words "BROKEN" on the tape help as well :thumbup:

Yep, it's the water that has stood in the line for a few days. Seawater is a soup full of microscopic life and when the water has been locked off for a few days, the life use up all the oxygen and die and create the sulfur smell.

I do as Paul does with flushing the toilet with fresh water, which stops the smell in that. But you can not dop a lot about the engine.

The engine is a puzzle , something seems wrong there. Toilet, I followed a recomendation and T'd in a feed which I can drop into my head sink and runs right down to the intake valve / skin fitting.The last job leaving the boat is to pump a sink full of fresh water through, that loads the toilet supply line with fresh water as well as the bowl and out.

Some people t directly between the the sink outlet and the head intake( with a valve of course)and do it that way.

Archived