galvanised stel gas bottle

Bogan

Anyone know where to get galvanised gas bottles?

Seems that the only common options now are painted steel (rusty) or alloy (expensive).

Any leads would be appreciated.

You can go the swap a bottle route and pass on your rusty old one. I see that the local Placemakers has the facility to swap large bottles (not sure if it is a 9kg or a 10…..but it's the one that fits my BBQ). :thumbup:

No not evadure. There are several ways you can rust proof.

Cold Galv paint

Epoxy paint

Metaset Stainless coating

or Thermal coatings on Ashfield road off Diana Dr in Glenfield can spray Galv onto it. It is a cold method off hotdip Galv and leaves a nice finish.

buy a gas bottle in the size that you want, then take it to your local galvanising plant. they will remove the valve and place a tube in it then roll it in the galvanising bath. you may then have to take it back to the gas fitter to have the valve reinstalled. Avon Industries in whangarei galvanised a bottle for us a few years ago and still good as new

they will sandblast the bottle before they galvanise. I think they charge about $1.80 per kg. best bet would be to ring your nearest plant. If in Auckland there is CSP or Perrys.

Bottle is 10 years old (therefor needing (and failing) test.

By contrast, my old man has had a pair of galvanised bottles on his boat that must be 30-40 years old.

I don't agree that galvanised bottles are as expensive as alloy. Or they wouldn't be if they were readily available here. In Australia the galvanised bottles are NZ$50 to NZ$70 more expensive than the same bottles in painted/enamel finish. Here, the alloy bottles (5kg and 10kg) are NZ$200 to NZ$240 more than the equivalent painted/enamel bottles.

I don't agree that galvanised bottles are as expensive as alloy

neither do I

however as far as I know in NZ they are.

unless you have found somewhere other than Serada that sells them?

Archived