Auckland to Noumea 2012

nz moth

Are your eyes broken Marshy?

It wasn't you on the big Pommie yacht that wouldn't enter inside the main reef in Tongatapu as your radar was broken and couldn't pick up the coral bombies??? :?

Come on a top 50 placing in the sailonline race....only 4nm to go and I need to pick off one more person. Well done to YachtYakker and Megwyn for sailing a great race and finishing 3rd and 21st respectively. Ps who is the scotsman that finished in the top 10?

Boy we had it tough back in the old days, had to go through that gap with just a sextant.

don't cercle nautique put out lit port and starboard buoys a little way out from the boulari passage ?

Come on a top 50 placing in the sailonline race....only 4nm to go and I need to pick off one more person. Well done to YachtYakker and Megwyn for sailing a great race and finishing 3rd and 21st respectively. Ps who is the scotsman that finished in the top 10?

Sassy is having a BBQ just off the finish line - you are in with a chance to beat them, and there are 6 others who's DC's miss fired and are BBQing past the finish line, without crossing it.

Go the Gingernater!!!! You might finish 45th yet :)

Boy we had it tough back in the old days, had to go through that gap with just a sextant.

don't cercle nautique put out lit port and starboard buoys a little way out from the boulari passage ?

Not the two times I did it, nor the other times I went through as a cruiser.

Sassy is having a BBQ just off the finish line - you are in with a chance to beat them, and there are 6 others who's DC's miss fired and are BBQing past the finish line, without crossing it.

Go the Gingernater!!!! You might finish 45th yet :)

Finished 44th in the end. You sailed a great race Megwyn. I was trying to catch you at one point but no matter what I did I couldnt dent the 8nm lead you had over me at one point.

I had the same thing going on with YY - just couldn't catch him. The closest I got was 6.9nm.

Well done Stephen - this is your first SOL race isn't it?

I had the same thing going on with YY - just couldn't catch him. The closest I got was 6.9nm.

Well done Stephen - this is your first SOL race isn't it?

Only about my 5th and second for the year. I did start two hours late due to taking photos at the start and ran aground once as well so im very happy with my finish.

In other News....Congratulations to V5 for being the first Mono Hull to finish.

I had the same thing going on with YY - just couldn't catch him.
You say that like it's a bad thing...... Oh that's right you haven't meet YY have you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go the Bullrush. Hanging in there well with the bigger fellas.

When David Nathan entered this TP52 V5 into the Evolution Sails Sail Noumea race he said hie crew were rough and tough. And he couldn't have been more spot on. V5 crossed the finish line at 17:16:23 on Thursday 5th June and was the first monohull to Noumea after a rough and tough five nights at sea.

V5 made a lot of good tactical choices and opted to sail east of Norfolk Island to catch the chaging conditions.

After Beau Geste's retirement from the race due to structural damage, V5 was the boat to watch and they set the pace for the rest of the fleet.

Congratutions to David and his crew Brian Peterson, Wayne Mills, Oliver Scott-Mackie, Justin Ferris, Donovan Neill, Graham Morcom, Benjamin Gladwell, Michael Boyd and Thomas Kearney. They managed to stay in one piece however we still wonder what they have eaten for the past five days after it was discovered that someone forgot to refit the gas bottles! We're sure they will big into a big hearty meal at the Cercle Nautique Caledonien this evening.

GO V5!!!

Thanks Stephen - reminds me of a trip long ago where I threw the stove overboard. When the weather calmed down all I could find that wasn't ruined or could be eaten uncooked was a bag or six or licorice and cans of baked beans.Boy did that boat pong!

Well, its an exciting race for the podium... I've been watching Kia Kaha steadily gaining on Akatea since fixing their mainsail and the two boats are now racing for the clincher!

From Kia Kahas facebook page

this is hopefully the last check in - we can smell the land and everyone is happy :-) can't wait to taste some French bread & cheese and maybe a glass of rum (Tui Moment) - thanks to the Royal Akarana Yacht Club and Maritime NZ - it must have been hectic at times ;-)

everything is all good on big red if there facebook page is anything to go by

Steiny called in today - expecting to arrive in Noumea sometime Friday night.. all well on board...

From Boyd Wason aboard Starlight Express:

"Made it safely to Norfolk Island. Been an adventure that will be hard to fully describe. Just spent 36 hours going north to assist Ice Breaker, got here and she's at anchor in open rocky bay and crew have gone ashore. Bay rugged, rocky, and has a reasonable break coming in so can't get to shore and no facilties for anyone to come out. All is well though. We have some rum and plenty of good foo

Evolution Sail Noumea – proudly conducted by Royal Akarana Yacht Club

Thursday

The sleek blue hull of V5 crossed the finishing line at 4.16.23pm Thursday 7 June. The Cercle Nautique Caledonien zodiac directed V5 into her slip, where a happy but tired crew received their welcome. Skipper David Nathan talked about the 5 day crossing: “We are excited to achieve the objective of first monohull to Noumea. It’s been a tough trip, most of the time skimming across the ocean in 25-30 knot winds. Monday night was miserable with winds reaching 41 knots – and yes, uncomfortable; the noise was just like being inside a barrel. Tonight’s long hot shower will be heaven”.

Roy Parfit, the local Noumea Aussie volunteer in charge of the Australian Cruising Division has welcomed two boats so far from Brisbane, Isis X and Charlie’s Dream. Roy said “Still 14 of them out there in cruising and racing divisions, the Aussie accents will be loud and clear by tomorrow night”.

Lesley Haslar

post-3043-141887201702.jpg

post-3043-141887201704.jpg

post-3043-141887201707.jpg

Archived