Auckland to Noumea 2012

nz moth

most of the time skimming across the ocean in 25-30 knot winds.

There's the secret of their success right there. While other crews might have described the experience as "pounding" or even "having the sh*t kicked out of us" V5 had wisely selected skim mode and were on their way.

Just heard from Carerra who are off Cape Brett heading for Auckland. And yes, they did have paper charts and the ability to navigate manually - seemed to find their way back OK. Speaking with them it appears that the salt water ingress shorting the inverter through the night caused a current through the carbon fibre of the hull which has resulted in serious corrosion issues with hull fittings.

Speaking with them it appears that the salt water ingress shorting the inverter through the night caused a current through the carbon fibre of the hull which has resulted in serious corrosion issues with hull fittings.
Farrkkk, I've seen that very thing happen and it was spooky just how fast the SS can disappear, you can almost watch it happen. It's knot good in any way.

I'd rather have a simple ol Nav issue anyday.

I've been a bit stunned to read of all the damage, but it would be hard to point the finger at anyone. I've been a safety inspector for over fifty years and have seen enormous changes as new materials, equipment and technology is developed. I have to say that Carrera was possibly the best prepared boat I have inspected, which I think goes to show that you can't prepare for everything. You've just gotta do your best with what you have got. They definitely had back up navigation gear and I think just decided it was time to come home.

Rikki got ballrash while drinking a Stiney?? Ouch! that sounds painful.

Ballrash :lol: :lol: :lol:

But agree they must be pretty chuffed to have hung in so well.

looks like steiny has the rash

but a great effort for the one that broke its mast last time and then said lets put a bigger fucker in it then

Come on a top 50 placing in the sailonline race....only 4nm to go and I need to pick off one more person. Well done to YachtYakker and Megwyn for sailing a great race and finishing 3rd and 21st respectively. Ps who is the scotsman that finished in the top 10?

Thats me!

Come on a top 50 placing in the sailonline race....only 4nm to go and I need to pick off one more person. Well done to YachtYakker and Megwyn for sailing a great race and finishing 3rd and 21st respectively. Ps who is the scotsman that finished in the top 10?

Thats me!

:D Congrats Scotie :clap: :clap:

just had a quick f/b chat with one of the guys off starlight (at norfolk island RSA for dinner) the weather they had was over 40knots for 24 hours and there were really only 2 people who could/wanted to drive in those conditions. then the main broke.

been to windward before, all very much the same.

m1 has finished

M1 has crossed the finish line this evening just four hours behind Rikki. It's going to be a busy night at Cercle Nautique Caledonien with Steinlager 2 and Bullrush also on the home stretch to finish.

Iolanthe II is having a slow trip the finish after damaging their boom, however are determined to make it because they have an extensive month of cruising the New Caledonian Islands for the rest of the month.

Congrats to M1 and the crew!

Steinlager 2, New Zealand's iconic racing yacht has crossed in the line in Noumea in her true grand style.

"We know the rest of the fleet had a challenging race but for us it was a delight. A real pleasure on Big Red," said a tired crew member.

The most wind experienced was about 45 knots but they had big seas and a long list of sail repairs including a large hole in the mainsail which was actually pulled down for a couple of days until they they approached New Caledonia.

Congratulations to all the crew on Steinlager 2. RAYC is honour that her first race back in New Zealand was the Evolution Sails Sail Noumea.

Humphrey Sherratt and his Elysium crew crossed the finish line in Noumea this morning bringing their Evolution Sails Sail Noumea race to an end after 6 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes and 6 seconds.

Crew member Richard MacAllister said it was a longer than expected trip by 2 days but Elysium never experience more than 45 knots.

Humphrey's son Jack was on board and said that he "hugged the bath mat" for a while during the race.

Ken Ormandy, who is suppose to be on his honeymoon, said the racing lamb shanks dinner (with bone removed to save weight) were excellent! Yes, Ken is meant to be on his honeymoon. He, along with two other crew members are on their way to the aiport to head back to Auckland this morning. Ken's new wife will be waiting for him at the gate - what an understanding women!!!

Congratulations to all the Elysium crew on a great race.

Archived