Auckland to Noumea 2012

nz moth

Sheesh that's ugly!

Sounds like icebreaker now has a wobbly dangler. I wonder if that release is meant to read 'keel bolt' rather than 'keelboat' inspection? Either way not good.

Does more boats at Norfolk make it more economic to get them back?

Looking at LE's photos, I can't see there being a huge queue to do an ocean passage - maybe with a lot of reinforcing and the pace backed right off.

EE what are you doing posting at 2.34 am?

A passing float on ship would be handy about now

Maybe as the boat get lighter and stronger we will see the return of the mother ship :roll:

Any update on Carerra since last night & the report they had taken on water & stuffed the inverter? Is their track indicative of the laptops running out of juice?

more boats have pulled out.

The 0730 sked on Wednesday 6 June advised that Starlight Express had retired from the race.

They have suffered mast and sail damage and are heading back to Auckland.

All crew are safe and well.

Overnight reports were that Icebreaker had suspended racing and were heading to Norfolk Island to undertake a keel bolt inspection. At the same sked this morning it was reported that they had retired from the race. At 0840 NZST Race Management received a text from Icebreaker saying they havce still suspended racing. All crew are safe and well.

More to come.

Think we can safely assume that there is not a lot of fun being had out there - huge investment by owners and crews to get that far and have to turn round. :(

The wrath of the Noumea race hits again. Last time was interesting to say the least, Storm -Becalmed- Storm... all on the wind..

Good to see Ballrash having a good run for the smallest boat out there!

Latest Facebook update from Sail Noumea says Icebreaker is still racing ??

Seems to be some confusion....

NZ Update:

We hope you are all enjoying the coverage from the New Zealand fleet. As soon as details come to hand we will share them with you. If there is no serious threat details will be posted here and on the official website. From all reports everyone is still safe on their boats but they are getting thrown around a bit! I'm sure there will be many great stories come from this race.

At 1100 hours NZST:

TeamVodafoneSailing - Finished Tues 5 June @ 20.59.50

1st Monohull Line & PHRF - V5

1st IRC - Akatea

Retired:

Beau Geste - structual damage

Cotton Blossom 2 - sea sickness

Starlight Express - mast and sail damage

Other:

Icebreaker is still racing

I guess this is what happens when boats that are not sea-worthy are granted Category 0 status and allowed to sail offshore - yet some bloke in a Cav 32 will get denied Cat 1 because he doesn't have all the latest greatest fandoolged stuff from 'Safety at Sea' nevermind that his boat, though 40 years old is triple or more the build integrity than the sh*t these guys race offshore in nowadays.

I always thought that to win a race the boat has to be built strong enough to finish....such an old fashioned concept I guess.

Archived