Fiji entry requirements for crew departing by air

NevP

Does anyone have up to date knowledge on what Fiji's visitor entry requirements are for crew (NZ citizen/resident) entering Fiji by yacht and intending to depart by air? I have asked the question of their High Commission but just got a reply stating their standard requirements that I must hold a valid return air ticket and valid passport.

This will be my first offshore passage, so I'm trying to make sure I get things right.

I will be joining a yacht sailing with the ICA rally up to Fiji (Savusavu) in May and will be flying back to NZ a few days after we arrive. The slight dilemma, as I see it, is that I would rather not book my return flight until we arrive in Fiji as I can't be sure of our arrival date. I could always book a flight well in the future and change it to an earlier flight when we arrive but would rather avoid the change fees if I can.

Does anyone know if I will be required to have a return air ticket on entry or is it OK to just turn up and book my return ticket in Fiji? I am aware Fiji immigration are a little more strict with entry requirements now, with the current political climate.

I suppose they don't need to know that I won't be staying with the yacht for the duration of the trip but would rather be up front.

Anyone with experience on this one? What did you do?

Not definitive no. When I flew into Vanuatu, I needed a letter from the skipper to say I was leaving on his yacht. When I sailed into Tonga, they didn't care how I intended to leave.

I have not sailed into or out of Fiji - yet, so I cannot speak for Fiji.

Someone here must know tho . . .

M

My partner sailed from Opua to Savusavu last May - I booked his flights home a few days after he'd arrived there. Didn't have to have them booked beforehand. I think it's pretty common - after all, you never really know exactly when you're going to arrive, so you can't really book flights with total confidence. It's not quite the same situation as flying in, sailing out, when you usually need some sort of evidence that you're planning to leave by boat (i.e. a letter from the skipper).

Absolutely no problem, but make sure that the skipper goes to immigration with your passport and copy of your flight ticket and signs you off as crew. Make sure you retain a copy of the crew sign off certificate for reference, but if any bureaucratic SNAFU happens it will come back on the skipper, not you.

Speaking from experience, working for a yachting agency there. Fiji is actually reasonably user friendly as long as the paperwork is in place and you have a copy of any documentation.

A few years ago I flew into Fiji holding a return ticket but changed plans, cancelled the ticket and sailed out instead, all no problem. This meant that I arrived in Vanuatu on a yacht with no air ticket but again no problem - they weren't to know I wasn't part of the permanent crew. I eventually flew out of Port Villa.

Absolutely no problem, but make sure that the skipper goes to immigration with your passport and copy of your flight ticket and signs you off as crew. Make sure you retain a copy of the crew sign off certificate for reference, but if any bureaucratic SNAFU happens it will come back on the skipper, not you.

Speaking from experience, working for a yachting agency there. Fiji is actually reasonably user friendly as long as the paperwork is in place and you have a copy of any documentation.

When we went to Tonga last year , the delivery helpers( me included) bought return tickets ahead of time. I hated doing that, so much to go wrong with schedules.It all worked out but still .

So PW, you're sure that we could enter Fiji this year without air tickets out and buy over there or on the net from here whichever, and not run afoul of the authorities? Is it a case of having to say that we're here to cruise the boat and we've changed our mind and are leaving , or is it just a non issue?( the problem being that we're told we should have the tickets)

When we went to Tonga last year , the delivery helpers( me included) bought return tickets ahead of time. I hated doing that, so much to go wrong with schedules.It all worked out but still .

So PW, you're sure that we could enter Fiji this year without air tickets out and buy over there or on the net from here whichever, and not run afoul of the authorities? Is it a case of having to say that we're here to cruise the boat and we've changed our mind and are leaving , or is it just a non issue?( the problem being that we're told we should have the tickets)

Yep, no problem. Crew departing the yacht don't need a ticket before entering the country, just make sure the skipper signs off any crew leaving the boat or it will come back to bite him on boat departure. If crew are leaving the boat and then returning to it or new crew are joining the boat in Fiji to leave by sea then make sure you get a one way letter from immigration in advance so they don't have to purchase a return ticket.

FWIW, we had no problem in Tonga arriving with delivery crew and buying tickets once we got there.

Yep, no problem. Crew departing the yacht don't need a ticket before entering the country, just make sure the skipper signs off any crew leaving the boat or it will come back to bite him on boat departure. If crew are leaving the boat and then returning to it or new crew are joining the boat in Fiji to leave by sea then make sure you get a one way letter from immigration in advance so they don't have to purchase a return ticket.

FWIW, we had no problem in Tonga arriving with delivery crew and buying tickets once we got there.

That all differs from this.

You have to have a entry permit and pay the entry permit on application

Take a read and correct me if i'm wrong.

http://www.immigration.gov.fj/index.php ... d-sections

Also the skipper is responsible for crew airfares to his homeland any hotel accommodation, meals buse fare or taxi fare to the departure airport.

That all differs from this.

You have to have a entry permit and pay the entry permit on application

Take a read and correct me if i'm wrong.

Permit

Total Fees

Application for permit to enter, reside and work

Application for permit to enter, reside on assured income

Application for students permit

Application for permit other than those specified above

Application to extend or vary a permit

Issue of a permit other than Visitors permit

Extension or variation of permit

[b]Application to extend visitor's permit

96.00[/b]

Issue of replacement permit

Short Term Permit Application

Issue of an authority to work/study/research/preach [section 9(3) of Immigration Act 2003]

Appeal [section 58 of Immigration Act 2003]

Prohibited Immigrant Uplift [PI Uplift]

Search fee

Visa

Application for Single Entry

Application for Multiple Entry

Search fees

Late Registration •Application fees

•Making Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance

http://www.immigration.gov.fj/index.php ... d-sections

Also the skipper is responsible for crew airfares to his homeland any hotel accommodation, meals buse fare or taxi fare to the departure airport.

OC

Where's the reference to visitor visor, which is what any yacht crew will be entering under whether one way flight or not. I think there might be a small fee for a one way letter but that's it AFAIK.

We had crew that left in SavuSavu, September 2012, they had to be signed off from the boats papers, this could not be done without showing an outgoing air ticket for each crew member. The skipper is responsible to get them signed off the ships papers and can have to pay the air fares if he doesn't have an agreement with the crew to pay their own way. There was no charge from Fiji customs / Immigration for doing this.

Nev,

I have been into Fiji lots of times as a skipper, all changes to the crew for "arriving Yachts" should be taken care of on arrival, by the skipper! So if somebody is leaving on arrival this can be documented on arrival. Fiji is happy enough to give you a entry visa to allow you to stay for a couple of weeks, but they will need you to produce some eticket paperwork in a couple of days to prove you have the means to leave Fiji.

Another alternative is to check in with everyone else on the crew, then purchase a ticket after clearance and then get the Skipper to change to the Captain crew allocation, with Immigration at which point you will need to produce a ticket.

Either way works but visiting immigration in places like Suva is a really painful, paperwork and transport wise.

I hope this help!

M

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. As an update, I entered Fiji (Savusavu) as crew back in May without any onward arrangements no problem at all. As far as immigration was concerned I was crew on board the vessel I entered on until the skipper signed me off at the immigration office.

After entering Fiji I purchased my airline ticket home, the skipper & I went down to the immigration, presented proof of my flight booking and I was signed off. It took all of 10 minutes, all very simple.

I would imagine that the skipper would have all sorts of issues with immigration when departing Fiji if I hadn't formally signed off. As far as immigration are concerned any crew entering the country on board are the skippers responsibility until immigration have signed them off the vessel, which won't happen until they have proof of onward travel arrangements.

I would imagine that the skipper would have all sorts of issues with immigration when departing Fiji if I hadn't formally signed off. As far as immigration are concerned any crew entering the country on board are the skippers responsibility until immigration have signed them off the vessel, which won't happen until they have proof of onward travel arrangements.

Correct. The boat can"t clear port untill they are satisfied the crew person is being repatriated to his home land. This could and will cause a problem with hitch hikers. Example = Take on crew member in Auckland - Not NZealander but Dutch and you have a despute in fiji - It's not a airfare to NZ but holand. It does not make any difference whether you have a crew agreement that he provides his own transport and accommodation meals ect on arrival.

The authorites will quote the convention the skipper is responsible for all life support systems in a country that is not his home land. Hence the skipper wants to be bloody minded and dig his toes in

he will be liable for food, hotel, fare to airport and airfare to holland or any other destination the crew agrees to.

And as Sir peter blake wrote in his book the best solution in a dispute was the skipper to buy an air ticket on the first available flight.

Archived