Keen, Keen & super Keen!!

Scubash

OK I know most of you have read my posts, but for those of you who haven't I have moved to New Zealand to get into the boating industry 6 months ago now. I really want to learn everything I can from building, maintaining to sailing and I think I have the drinking rum down just fine! :wink:

Those of the people who have met me and sail with me can surely tell you how keen and determined I really am! I went from knowing ZERO to being an absolute addict! I could eat, breath, live and dream about sailing and especially racing 24/7!!! Some people could say I am a little too obsessed...if that is even possible??? hahah :lol: I think some of you would agree with me there!!! :thumbup:

So I am a Chef, have studied both Food & Beverage Management and Hotel Management, a Scuba Diving Instructor and I really enjoy photography as some of you may have seen as well. I would say I am pretty good on computers...or anything I really set my mind to doing. If I don't know how to do something I learn quick or I keep at it until I figure it out.

So the very big thing here is I really wish I could find someone to give me an opportunity to work in anything that is boat related rather it be on my hands and knees all day making sails, to antifouling or as simple as a receptionist job. Just anything to have me one step closer to the boating industry. Would really like a day job at least until the summer is over so I can continue to race and do what I came for. Currently working short night shifts and I only get to sail if I give up a shift, which in reality I cannot afford, but I do it every Wed and some other days from time to time. Can't help it, this girl has got to sail! Need :arrow: :D

I will have you all also know that I got the opportunity to be 1 of 3 crew doing a delivery on a Bennie 42.3 from Tahiti to Auckland leaving March 1st. This will be my first Ocean crossing, which I am very much excited to do and to gain the miles and experience I need to one day (hopefully sooner rather than later) to get my Ocean Yachtmasters. The only thing I am gutted about is missing the arrival of the Volvo fleet...maybe (cross your fingers) we will get to see them out in the open ocean or at least make it back before they leave! :think: :sailor:

So again thank folks for given this a read and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Cheers :wave:

Congrats on getting the crew position for the ocean passage. Its definitely an experience that is quite different from coastal sailing.

My advice would be to take advantage of off watch times to get into your bunk and try to get sleep despite being excited about the whole trip. In other words, try to get into the rhythm of the watches as early as possible. Once you adjust to the watch routine it becomes a lot easier. Make sure you have at least some of your clothing packed in waterproof bags (like ziplocks) inside your gear bag. Its not a lot of fun to have all your clothes and gear soaked with seawater within the first 4 hours and not be able to dry anything for 3 days ..... ask me how I know. :roll:

Most important on a passage is having a positive attitude and be willing to do what is needed. You already have that in spades Scubash, so I have no doubts that you'll be absolutely fine. Just remember that whatever the weather and sea conditions are, good or bad, things will change. So, make sure you enjoy it when its fabulous and when its crappy take heart in the fact that it won't be like that forever.

Best of luck and let us all know how it went when you get back. :D

Thanks a bunch!

Will post trip report when I am back! Which Hopefully will be before the VOR!!

I have one question...what would you say is the best anti-seasickness pills remedy out there?

Sometimes I am all good and other times I am not so good...have a feeling at some point on this trip its gonna be not so good, so I want to try and avoided as best as I can. :crazy:

Best anti-seasickness meds depends ..... each person is different. I'm told dope is excellent anti-seasickness but I wouldn't know first hand.

There's the Paihia Bombs which are antihistamine to prevent the nausea signals to your brain and then caffeine to prevent the drowsiness from the antihistamines. Many people swear by them. The Blockhouse Bay Pharmacy used to do a very similar med that was all in one capsule (the Paihia Bombs are 2 capsules I gather). I've used the BB Pharmacy meds with great success.

Some people swear by the wrist bands, others just swear at them. Ginger can reduce nausea but might not be enough to prevent or deal with full-on sea sickness. For some people the patch behind the ear is brilliant ... others can't cope with the chemicals and it makes them go a bit strange. Don't for god's sake put one behind each ear ... I know someone who tried that and he couldn't balance enough to stand up until he took one of the patches off.

There's no easy answer Ash, but something like the Paihia Bombs or the BB Pharmacy meds are a good start.

Scopaderm... each patch is good for 3 days.

i agree, in my opinion these are the best things out. sealegs made me tired and did nothing to stop the sickness and i didnt notice the pressure bands at all.

Not for the Paihia Bombs or Blockhouse Bay Pharmacy meds. Not sure about the rest.

I bought from the BB Pharmacy over the phone, had to answer some questions (no, I don't have high blood pressure; no, I'm not pregnant, etc) and paid by credit card. They couriered them to me in town same day.

I believe the Paihia Bombs are available in much the same way.

Pharmacies should have some anti-seasickness meds and may be able to give advice, though different places may have a different range of products and advice.

Not for the Paihia Bombs or Blockhouse Bay Pharmacy meds. Not sure about the rest.

I bought from the BB Pharmacy over the phone, had to answer some questions (no, I don't have high blood pressure; no, I'm not pregnant, etc) and paid by credit card. They couriered them to me in town same day.

I believe the Paihia Bombs are available in much the same way.

Pharmacies should have some anti-seasickness meds and may be able to give advice, though different places may have a different range of products and advice.

Thanks Grinna... :thumbup:

Anyone know if Stugeron is with a prescription?

Could well be wrong but pretty sure you can't buy it in NZ?

It's OTC (over the counter) in Vanuatu, New Caledonia and readily available online ex the UK and most places.

Think it's coz we're not grown up enough to handle it or something here or something? :cry:

Highly reccomend it though, effective & doesn't knock you round like sealegs and many motion sickness meds.

All the best for a safe and enjoyable passage Ashley.

In case of water restrictions or your usual hygiene routine goes out the window for whatever reason some of your favourite smellies and wet wipes are great to have on a trip.

Getting all the what if questions answered before you take off and knowing how to operate everything is a confidence booster too.

To keep your energy levels up if you are sick, you may want to consider multivitamins, complan and a drink bottle to ensure you are taking on enough fluids every day.

I'm with BB. Paihia Bombs work whereas Stugeron makes me drowsy and patches make me want to chuck.

I take a PB the day before departure, one a day for the next 2 days then I'm good to go. In that time I stay away from any acid or fatty food and spend more time topside than down below.

Ginger biscuits are great and those wristbands are a good backup if things get a bit rough along the way.

As said before, everyone's different but be prepared and you will have a great trip whatever happens.

Archived