Caribbean 600

SloopJohnB

Starts on the 20th.

Love the price for the Class 40's.

Quote from the web site http://caribbean600.rorc.org/

There are four Class40s competing. Close duels are expected right through the fleet, but a hard fought and close encounter is expected in this class. Trade wind sailing provides perfect conditions for Class40s, with long reaches and downwind legs, these pocket rockets are capable of surfing at speeds of up to 25 knots. Class40s from America, Austria, France and Great Britain are taking on the 600 mile Caribbean odyssey; Tim Fetch's Icarus Racing, Christophe Coatnoan's Partouche, Andreas Hanakamp's Vaquita and Peter Harding's 40 Degrees, co-skippered by Hannah Jenner. The Class40s will be level-racing under their own rules. First to finish will claim the Concise Trophy; a full barrel of English Harbour rum.

I didn't think StephenC was qualilfied for that assignment so had to go myself.

I wasnt on your rum books then......and im more than qualified to do some rum tastings as if I had more money I would go to the whiskey tastings more often that I go to. I was also going to ask you if we should run a mt gay tasting session after the summer series had finished. What are your thoughts?

Oh shame Ogre - it must have been such a difficult assignment for you! You know, if you just cannot bring yourself to go next time, I would ecstatically go in your place! :lol: :lol:

We won this race overall in 2009 and were 3rd in 2010, I believe it is one of the best offshore events in the world!

- Great breeze 20+ knots

- Large Atlantic rollers, great for downwind surfing

- Warm!

I wasnt on your rum books then......and im more than qualified to do some rum tastings as if I had more money I would go to the whiskey tastings more often that I go to. I was also going to ask you if we should run a mt gay tasting session after the summer series had finished. What are your thoughts?

Hmmm.. lets analyse StephenC's qualifications for a rum tasting assignment...

So I have two bottles of rum that I would like to sell

and...

I hate wine so thats why im not going [to the wine tasting].

Your honour, I think this is an open and shut case! :wink:

PS. Squid, if you ever need a real rum taster, I offer my tastebuds to you freely and without reservation. :lol:

We won a case of English Harbour rum for the Antigua race week Tug'o'war back in 2005. they basically buried me in the sand as the anchorman and the others didn't stand a chance. it was the full heats then semis and finals. quite a big event.

It wasn't great stuff but came at the right price (or was that priZe..) so we drank it......eventually. We kept finding bottles on the boat for the next few months. The problem was that Mt Gay is cheap as chips over there too, I think something like US$18 for a 1.8L bottle.

For those who don't know, English harbour is the main boat harbour In Antigua so its the local rum.

Archived