Cheap trimaran

Atom Ant

well I guess if it could be bought cheap enough I might just consider it. Afterall that way I could own a tri & a monohull! And while a weta rig might be the ideal, I wouldn't really care, just buy something cheap that will do the trick and go sailing!

I was talking to one of the weta guys, They reckon its not, If you knew what you were doing then you probably could, or just modify the hell out of it, Thats what I would do.. Have a massive rig,long prod, and some big gennakers, you would be set for life I reckon AA :lol:

I wonder if it really is a home handimans fix up?

I think if you spoke to someone about it, you might find that the stern would take a bit more than taping up. It looks a little crushed to me. But hey - I am not a boat builder, but he who mows the lawns looked at it, and walked away without discussion. To me, that is usually not a good sign.

M

the repair is all about sacrifices, weight, cost, time, conscience, lifejacket ............

there is a right way, an adequate way, and just plain dumb

Well my interest would be in doing it the right way, but it wouldn't matter to me if it weighed a kilo or 2 more than it should, if it saved money. An example of that would be using fibreglass instead of carbon type savings - not that carbon would necessarily be used in this particular situation. Not interested in half arsed work but it strikes me as being something I could do with guidance from someone who knows what they're doing.

But hey I haven't even decided if it's something I want let alone do. Just giving it some thought. Afterall it's an auction and things like this can go cheap, but also at times people pay stupid money for something like this.

It would need to be bought pretty cheap to make it a worthwhile good deal when finished.

So working back from the $10,500 someone is asking on TM for a complete boat:

Less - at a guess and I am sure someone will correct me :-)

$1200 for beach trolley

$2000 Sails

$1200 Mast & Rigging

$600 Boom

$800 Misc rope & fittings

There is not alot left to fix it with.

So working back from the $10,500 someone is asking on TM for a complete boat:

Less - at a guess and I am sure someone will correct me :-)

$1200 for beach trolley

$2000 Sails

$1200 Mast & Rigging

$600 Boom

$800 Misc rope & fittings

There is not alot left to fix it with.

The beach trolley will be more around the mark of 600-700, Sails maybe a little more.. Considering a 3.7 main only is $1500, mast and rigging will probably be about 1500, there is no boom on the WETA! so that can get counted out, unless of course you were going to modify the heck of the boat :thumbup: if that was the case, you would probably want one, If you had a spare mast around or knew of one you could get cheap it would be fine, same with the sails, But everything else will certainly cost alot more.

Thats just going of the amount I spend on the 3.7.. It will be more for a pitchfork :twisted:

Guest Saturday Night Special

cut the stern off put on new stern .fix bow ,buy old 12 foot skiff sails and rig put together on lawn . get 2 mates to lift it in the water ( like all cherubs 12s and 18s and the like used to be ) amd go sailing cheap

Its a Weta guys, if you have sailed one you will know the best place for it is in the landfill.

Bill, how could you say such a thing! :shock: :lol:

It's a great go anywhere boat, does what it says on the tin.

Sure it could do with loosing a few kg's and get a taller rig etc but there are not many boats that you can take a picnic, sail to one of the islands while overtaking the odd launch or two at 15 knots and get back no matter what the weather throws at you.... :thumbup:

buy a A-Class rig and sail off Matty, he has a few spare... now that would be interesting..

Well I hope someone enjoys it, but it won't be me on the basis that I don't want to own 2 yachts. Probably good buying for the right person. I'm sure there'll be a bidding war at the end though.

Archived