Learn to Sail

Hi, I am 59 years old and would like to learn sailing. What are the best options for me.I am in the Pakuranga area and would appreciate if some one could help me in pursuing my dream.

learn to sail etc quickest and most thoroughly in a small boat/ dinghy, ( stuff it up and you're wet) , really great crowd just down the road from you at the panmure lagoon sailing club, rent a boat for a coupla hours then give it back after, think around the $10 mark for this and a really supportive crowd

www.plsc.org.nz and give Ian or Chantal a ring

BBYC has great adult learn to sail courses on their J24's. Running year round.

Give Ian Hopwood an email or call on the details below - Tell him Marshy sent you and you will get looked after. (And before Knot Me jumps in here no he didnt teach me how to sail so you cant blame him :-P)

http://www.bbyc.org.nz/Learn-To-Sail/

Ian Hopwood

coach@bbyc.org.nz

027 203 3256

Given your age at 59, a keeler may well be better than a small dinghy. It won't tip over and you won't go swimming if you don't want to. There are lots of people about our age and older !!

Thursday afternoon Ponsonby Cruising Club Rum Races is a great way to upskill, offering the opportunity to sail on different boats with different skippers and with different crews. Book via PCC office and be at F1 pier 1500, for 1600 start.

I agree with PaulR.

I learned to sail after I was 40, and learning to sail on a dingy is rather tight :) I bought myself a sunburst (nice stable dingy, reasonable size), but tacking was difficult because I had to maneuver myself between the mainsheet pulley and the tiller/tiller extension. When we got the wee tri on the water, I was able to learn to sail on that, which was so much easier to maneuver myself around on than the dingy.

So I also would recommend you learn to sail on keelers or trailer sailers. Much more comfortable. In Auckland you have so many choices. Good luck.

M

The Friday night special that the Richmond Yacht Club organise are a great introduction to keel boat sailing and racing. Its very much newby orientated. Google "Richmond yacht club" as i thnik all the details are on the club website

Archived