Passion for Sailing

Ogre & I were discussing this issue on Monday and considering

"How" and "When" to encourage new/non-sailors to go sailing.

We were looking for ways to create interest from non-sailors to put their names down for the CREW.ORG.NZ END OF YEAR RUM RACE.

Once we have a list of new/non-sailors, one idea is to allocate the new/non-sailors to each boat.

Further to have a new/non-sailors Spot Prize at the party afterwards.

Possibly free rum drinks for new/non-sailors and the skipper by way of vouchers.

(Notice I was NOT shouting! That's Ogre's Job.)

So the biggest problem is how do we get to invite all the new/non-sailors to come out with us.

We will be checking with all the Westhaven clubs and inviting those on their lists. There seem to be more ladies than men wanting to go sailing. In the past I have invited many out, especially for the ladies races and some have been very good indeed.

Should we contact BBYC, PYBC, Pine Harbour? Perhaps the boats based in those marinas would be the logical choice to find, invite or allocate people locally to make it easier for another sail if it works out etc.

So any extra ideas would be appreciated. Post or PM me.

The problem with relying on a rum race to boost participation is that your average rum race doesn't fall into the realm of a "great sailing experience".

I wonder if the report didn't include something along the lines of this in the conclusions:

"Many surveyed correctly identified that of all the sports sailing was the most likely to expose participants to a hazardous situation that required personal skill and ability to recover from rather than, for example, a jumbuck on the side line or a reef who could cease play at any sign of tears. It is apparent to surveyors that the absence of self responsibility exhibited by many of those surveyed remains a significant barrier to participation in sailing. When pushed further one of the surveyors when as far as to suggest that many of those surveyed should watch the following clip"

While I'm in the empty cruising grounds / messing about school, we need a certain level of participation if only to be able to lobby effectively... especially given what seems to be increasing competition for use of coastal water space.

I think cost is largely a perception thing - get the enthusiasm happening and money seems to be found... hell, I don't think there's ever been a better time to be boat hunting.

Here's a suggestion: Pay it forward. Grab a non-sailing friend or acquaintance or colleague and by whatever means available, bribery if necessary, get them out on the water. Fib if you have to - tell them you need crew, even if you don't.

Hehe: Current crew is a hard-core tech head. Take home moment was when this individual annnounced happily "Sh** it's the weekend and I'm outside. Cool!"

I would beg to ask the question here:

Is sailing just a sport, or is it a lifestyle?

How many Crew.orgers need to sail as they need to eat and breathe?

Should this be a poll? :wink:

Because we're racing no extras it's easier than for some but I note the following.

I've got an awful lot out of yachting. Raced all around the world, cruised beautiful spots, met my wife, and now my profession.

My way of putting some back is to take people on the twilights. Our philosophy is we always go, we always have enough crew, and everyone is welocome. Some nights 3, some nights 10. Similarly I do most of the Corporate races which have a higher number of non sailors. One of our prime objectives is to walk off the boat having had a good time. In a small way I see it as contributing to the sport of sailing.

The number of smiles, emails thanking me, and most importantly having people come back, and also go on to sailing or owning their own boats is gratifying.

And speaking of the Xmas rum race, I helped David and a few damsels in distress out who wanted a boat and it all got very chaotic......

Archived