BoatSaver Boat Bags...has anybody tried this yet?

sealegs

as anybody tried this yet?

http://www.boatbag.com.au/bsbb/Home.html

how it works here: http://www.boatbag.com.au/bsbb/FAQ.html

Adding 10 to 15% fresh water will retard growth even more.

where are you supposed to get that much fresh water from to surround your boat? :think:

does not seem practical to me. Does chlorine work in 100% salt water? :think:

Yes, adding chlorine to saltwater will work to retard marine growth, but the manufacturers of that bag system are saying that simply the bag by itself will retard fouling growth because there is very limited exchange of water within the bag ... so there's no food supply for fouling organisms. Although they don't say it in their advertising, I suspect the dissolved oxygen levels inside the boat bag would be reduced significantly after a while and there'd undoubtedly be other changes to the water chemistry which would all serve to make the inside of the bag a pretty hostile environment for marine critters.

Dosing your boat bag with chlorine means that there will be a discharge of chlorine to the harbour from the bag everytime you open it up and remove your boat. What effect does chlorine have on your antifouling paint, earthing plates, anodes, thru hulls, prop, shaft, rudder bearings, shaft seal, etc? Looks like a pain in the ass to get the boat in and out of on a windy day. May work well in swing mooring situations, but how about marina berths? They don't make them large enough for boats that cost a heap of time and money to lift, clean and antifoul so you're only saving small amounts of time and money ... you'd be saving proportionately more on larger boats. How do you move your boat bag when you change moorings, marina berths or marinas?

There would be enough Chlorine in the tap water to kill most stuff. I don't think you would have to add anymore. Chlorine does not last long in storage and even less in Sunlight. But if you think of Saltwater trapped in the toilet or pipes, can you imagine the smell when what was inside the bag had stewed for awhile. The other issue would be getting a bag over, or I should say, under most boats.

I saw these around boats on moorings in Sydney about ten years ago (small yachts). Don;t know how effective, but apparently they applied a does of bleach each time they put the boat in.

Hi all,

Just thought I would jump in and answer some the of great questions on this site.

Since these were posted we have a white paper you can request that answers most of the questions posted here. You can go to boatbag.com.au and request a copy.

In short there are two Farr 40 in MHYC and a FARR 30, at least 5 Adam10s and J24s. All in marina berths. Most of the owners do not use antifoul.

Many have been using these products for over 5 years successfully. Power boat owners and people with sail drive or stern drives are the big winners of these products because they avoid costly repair bills.

Any questions you have a most welcome - in the Spit area there are over 30 in use. Rushcutters there are around 20 and growing.

Happy boating.

Good question Steve!

We have found our bag has growth but not much after 3 years.

Because the bag is pretty flexible the harder barnacles must find it less attractive to attach to.

Weed and other growth is removed by some by simply taking the bag onto the beach and letting the sun dry it out - sweep it off with a broom and put it back....

Tony

Archived