Can you help Edwin?

hey back at ya,

I have used the words "some" and "most" and his goals are to do the Volvo Ocean Race and Jules Verne Trophy. Very clear I would of thought, would you like me to include a date for these future races. If you want to know more you can visit his website, the link is posted above. I would suggest from your comments you have knot yet done this for had you visited you would read that he already has his "Sea Survival" and Radio Operator and Boat Masters, the list goes on, he is currently collecting Sea Time for other qualifications. Perhaps some young sailors following Edwin will be inspired to lift their game - anything he can do I can do too - perhaps. There are also many people that have spent most of their lives in and around yachts that want to go solo around the world - girls no less. Do you neg yourself out

If you feel that you need to quote me then do yourself a favour and don't take words/statements out of context.

I am totaly aware that some who frequent this website have a wealth of experiance and can offer someone like Edwin and others priceless support. If posting a request for assistance is upsetting you so much - perhaps you need to get a life. I had no idea that such a simple request would spark such a negitive reponce.

If you want to support Edwin, he will fly your flag, put your sticker on his boat, thank you on national tele/radio and the other social media websites he belongs too.

Edwin will read your words of encouragement and take great strength from the great kiwi knocking machine - good on ya mate - your a star :thumbup:

Here's your quote:

He offers a passion that rises above the negitivity that seems to populate this website. :oops:

He will do far more than most of the members of this website can ever dream of.

Here's my quote:

I think what Edwin is doing is great. I have 2 Sons 12 and 9, and if they show half his enthusiasm and committment I will be delighted but somehow I doubt they will. He is a rare kid indeed.

Who is the negative one, anyone that disagrees with you? How am I quoting out of context?

I think ya need to look in the mirror mate.

Cheers, Smithy. :wave: :wave: :wave:

If you want your boat painted buy a brush!!! This is a sad thread. Edwin is a kid. Some of you need to remember that. Kids have dreams and if you can help them achieve those dreams then go for it. The pay back is all personal. I met Edwin at Kawau after the Brin Wilson - a really personable and obliging young man.

Look at all the knockers that the Jessicaa Watson had to put up with when she set out and now she's everyone new best friend. Luckily some shared that dream and worked with her.

I agree with TM, I also ran into Edwin at Kawau and thought he was a great kid.

I think you Guys just need to calm it down a bit.

Personally I'm as jealous as hell of these young kids I wish i'd had half the motivation and drive at their age.

I've never slagged the kid. I think he's great.

I just don't agree with the "give me money please" approach from yachtyakka. (Not Edwin) I think what I've said has been reasonable, and that yy has been over the top with personal comments directed at everyone who disagrees with him.

One of the reasons I like this forum so much is that you often get diverse arguments which are very contrary, but very reasonable, and many of them have made me think twice about points of view I have had.

Not this time however. :( :( :(

Enough said. No more. Smithy OUT.

The knockers are out of the woodwork again. This young chap is not in it for free rides, he slaves his backside of to get for what he got. He has earned the crew position on merit, experience and ability and has the qualifications to back it up too. This has nothing to do with his age. The high cost attached to the ever increasing campaigns is placing our young talented sailors at a considerable financial disadvantage to those in most other leading sailing nations. Keep on knocking and we may lose yet another talented to overseas interest. Laura Dekker got her boat sponsored. Edwin worked and traded his way to get his boat. Visit his website www.edwinsail.com for more.

Keep focussed Edwin and rise above the negative.

You can count on my support as I noted your bank account on the website.

Like others, I first met Edwin at the finish of the Brin Wilson. I was so impressed by his boat handling skills I asked around the mighty ship Starlight Express, who he was and why he was there. I found Edwin to be very polite, passionate and focused about his sailing.

Sail hard Edwin, don't let the knockers get inside your head with their negged out attitudes. I look forward to seeing you on as many start lines as you can :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhBUPAjeR4

The Youtube footage is a funny one and wonder what was going on behind the cameraman. I did some research on the young chap. I did a search in the NZ Herald archives and found a publication dated back to 29th Oct 2002 on the third page. He must have been 5 or 6 years old then and was already sailing a P-class at that age. There were two other articles 23rd June 2007 and 23 Oct 2009 about Edwin and his achievements. He also featured three times in the Boating NZ mag, and twice in Trader Boat in the last two years. How did he managed to get in a San Diego magazine? and in an Italian paper sports section.

He was on TV 3 NEWS in Oct 2008, Saw him on TV ONE NEWS last year with the SSANZ and earlier this year live on TV 3 Breakfast Show. I have to concede that he has something to offer. Bet some potential sponsors must be kicking them self of the missed opportunity to the exposure they could have had.

Would the exchange student get such exposure? or the guy painting his boat perhaps? I know were I would put my money.

Good on him and keep it up mate

I came across Edwin two years ago when he did the Coastal on Starlight. He was a good story then and last year made front page headlines in the Sunday Star Times amongst other places. Right now it's purely the fact that he's young and out there doing it amongst grown ups, so he'll have to keep reinventing himself to continue to get the coverage, but he's proven he's happy to work at it, so big ups to him. What he has done so far has definitely given him a good head start if he decides to pursue his sailing past his childhood. His parents put the time in too and his mum was down at the Viaduct before the last Coastal looking for media opportunities for him when Tamati Coffey was doing his Breakfast segment on Alfa Romeo.

Would I give him money? I have to support my own growing tribe right now, but good on him and his family and supporters for making it work.

looks like hes coming with us on starlight. its all good though. he doesn't weight much and he doesn't eat much. only down side is i think im still designated mast monkey.

just got this:

Press Release

For immediate publication

Edwin Delaat

http://www.edwinsail.com/

Edwin Delaat Owner/skipper of Crac-A-Jac a Farr 727 intends to enter the

SSANZ Triple Series 2010. The Liston college year 9 student is using this

series as another stepping stone to his long term goal of competing in a

Volvo Ocean Race in future. Edwin is competing in the upcoming Auckland

to Fiji Ocean Race this month and is crew member on Starlight Express.

Edwin intends to follow in the foot steps of some of New Zealands greatest

ocean sailors, like his longtime hero's Sir Peter Blake and Grant

Dalton.He would like to take this opportunity to thank all his supporters

and sponsors and invites people to follow him on his facebook page and

website.

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php?fcode= ... 350&ref=ts

for media details please contact

Adrian Delaat JP

manager@edwinsail.com

post-971-141887159049_thumb.jpg

Firstly the intent of this post is not to detract from Edwin or his achievements but more to put some perspective on things that may have been a little distorted...

Edwin is a neat kid, very likeable, polite and friendly who loves his yachting. Luckily for him he has met a few people along the way who have gone to HUGE effort to help him on his way. These include sponsors and benefactors who support his campaigns as well as a few yachties who have passed on their knowledge and crewed etc for him. These people leave all the credit to Edwin making out he has done everything on his own. Nothing wrong with any of this at all and congratulations to Edwin for being a grateful kid that people do actually want to help.

However I also wonder if some of his dreams and goals are as much or more of those around him as opposed to his own ??? And if the track he is taking is the best way to his goal ??? Personally at this stage of his potential "career" I see more benefit to him doing more dinghy racing than offshore passages. I think he should be lobbying the RNZYS to be part of the youth scheme as soon as he is able to (If he isn't already ???). Finally I'd be racing the 727 more... wednesday night races etc etc.

If Edwin's goal is the Volvo race... I think his selection on to a crew will be more from his ability to steer a boat or trim a sail than good old fashioned seamanship. I believe he will grow those skills quicker with intense short course inshore racing.

Good Luck Edwin

Couldn't agree more Cameron, great post.

If I could go a step further....hopefully without being labelled a "knocker" of Edwin....as that is not my intention.

I read a "press release" today announcing that Edwin intends to enter the ssanz series (which by the way I think is a great thing to do). But how many parents actually issue a press release to inform us that their kid intends to enter a yacht race? There are numerous kids getting newsworthy results in the junior classes without any of this carry on. It's not the kiwi way.

Mum & Dad - get the results on the scoreboard before you crow about it in the media. I don't define a result as "participation". And yes the age card is a point of interest - but you have well and truly played that one now.

Edwin if you are really serious about pro yachting go and get a starling and/or a 420. If you can succeed at this level there will be no looking back. I genuinely wish you luck and hope you go on to do great things in yachting.

In my line of business there's a saying which goes "If you don't ask you don't get".

Sometimes you can cop a bit of flak on the way particularly so depending how ballsy your request(s) are .....but fortune favours the brave and all that.

I find his story compelling simply because he's got a passsion, set himself an objective and is doing the business of getting on with it.

Oh sure we can carry on about whether he should do it this way or that way but I expect that you could say that about pretty much anyones life. I sure as hell don't take much advice from people on how I should run my life so I can't see why he should take much notice of questioning from others largely removed from his life.

Good on him. I hope his tenancity prevails.

Thanks YY. :thumbup:

Archived