Undersized Snapper

smithy09

We visited the Auckland fish market behind the old Team NZ headquarters down at tank farm, and were surprised at the length of the Snapper they were selling. They certainly appeared to be smaller than the 270mm regulation for the Hauraki gulf. Certainly looking at the whole fish they had on ice, we wouldn't even measure them. They would go straight back. Do commercial fishing interests have some kind of exemption to size limits?

Interested to know!

We visited the Auckland fish market behind the old Team NZ headquarters down at tank farm, and were surprised at the length of the Snapper they were selling. They certainly appeared to be smaller than the 270mm regulation for the Hauraki gulf. Certainly looking at the whole fish they had on ice, we wouldn't even measure them. They would go straight back. Do commercial fishing interests have some kind of exemption to size limits?

Interested to know!

I think commercial fisherman have smaller size of 25cm like other places in the country for recreational fishing.

I think, in fact know, Crew's own pet Ginger has it spot on. Commercial has a 250mm limit.

Suss the Crays. Have to look close though as at 1st glance they can easily be mistaken for Prawns.

250mm...... Why would ya??

I think, in fact know, Crew's own pet Ginger has it spot on. Commercial has a 250mm limit.

Suss the Crays. Have to look close though as at 1st glance they can easily be mistaken for Prawns.

250mm...... Why would ya??

Gooday - - K-M's got it totally correct - Why the F#*@ would you. Someone should get onto your fisheries dept & tell them to look over across the puddle - A multi billion dollar fishery - stuffed because of the same attitude. The Gulf of Carpentaria, 1 hell of a big area - - now under very strick control, very few licensed trawlers allowed. Greed is sure a great destroyer of our assets. Ciao, james

I wondered also about flounder - often see what appear to be undersized flounder in the markets.

Over here the snapper (NZ snapper) seem just a bit more than 27cm which is good. But they sell what for all the world appear to be undersized snapper here also, called "dorade moyene". Looks like a bloody undersized snapper to me...

I reckon with recreation fishers, they should not be allowed to throw back any fish, but have to keep with the max of 10 fish.

It would show who were the good fishers, that only target big fish.

I would love to know how many fish thrown back live, and how many are thrown back a couple hrs later cos they have their limit, and now they are going for size.

Every time I go to a restaurant and the waitress says "And today's fish of the day is pan-fried snapper blah blah blah...." and I feel like saying, "No it's not. It's most definitely NOT fish of the day. It's fish of the week. In fact it's fish of the year. No actually make that fish of the decade. Because every single day up and down the country you waitresses say the same damn 3 words... "...pan-friend snapper etc.." but the reality is that it has never NOT been snapper. So stop calling it today's special and just put it on the regular menu."

"Oh and whilst you're about it lose the 'pan-fried' bit and just call it 'fried'. Unless you can show me how else you can fry a fish without a pan."

OK, so I don't always say this. But I feel like saying it. I did say it once akshully. It was great. But I'd had a few wines first.

I look at "special" meaning it is getting a little old and we need to get rid of it. So we will special it off.

I was at a Resturaunt and asked what Fish they had. Snapper was the reply. Oh.... don't you have anything else like Blue Cod? Oh we have some Akaroa Cod. eewwww, I'll take the snapper then.

Archived