Ross 930 winter series

Ptown

Neil usually races Lightfoot single or shorthanded. Not sure if he's up for a winter series or not given that he'll have to organise a crew for it.

Fun race today, 10 turned up, 9 finished, some conservative, some put on a great show.

We were one of the conservative ones, delaying our hoist till Bayswater, then a very short lived genny run (too flat) good pace reaching and tidy enough upwind. Very happy with how we did in our first proper race. Had 42 knots over the deck for quite a while. Some great racing in breezy conditions with everyone carrying full rig.

Yeah it looked like a great day to be out. Big thanks to Colin for taking TE out with a crew pretty new to the boat. Thanks for picking up the lifebouy again Col :wink:

Ten 930's off the start line for Sunday's second race of the winter series. (2 June)

Starters were Entertainer, Arch Rival, Pepe, Fast Company, Ballistic, Wild Oats, Scarlett Fever, No Worries, Local Hero and Start Me Up.

A very light and shifty Northerly and a 2:15pm tide mean't the tide was against the fleet both going down the harbour and returning. The Race Officer had mercy on us and finished the race at the Stanley Point buoy.

a.f.u

Yeah well done Ballistic!

I reckon the stress of that race has taken a year off my life

But I must add our thanks to the handicapper

Thanks also to the pcc for a great race

Have just had a look at the entries in that other club's winter series. Only 5 MRX's(Div G) and only 7 Y88's (Div Q) and could only see 5 1020's spread over the C div and non-spinnaker div.

Go the 930's... 10 off the start line in the 930 winter series. Where do you wanna be?

a.f.u

Looking like a good day for the next one on Sunday

Series as it stands

Line:

Fast Company

Pepe

Local Hero

H'Cap

Fast Co.

Local Hero

The Entertainer

Bring it...

13 Ross 930's off the start. Also a welcome to Bondi Tram and welcome back to Grunt Machine. Race today very shifty with the occasional 10kt puff coming down or across the harbour to keep our interest up. Not one boat finished before the 4pm cut off time so race management called the race abandoned.

Only two out of the 4 winter series races so far have been sailed and completed.

a.f.u

Race control should have known better than to send us on such a long course when there was variable winds on the start line... It should really have finished at the 2nd Rough Rock rounding.

Lovely day on the harbour though, sad that it has all gone to waste...

The best racing was had after they called it off. Mean Streak, No Worries, The Entertainer, Local Hero all battling it out up the harbour ignoring the race office! Or should we have had our VHF's turned on :crazy:

Think the Race Committee wanted to finish the race at either Rough Rock or Bastion, but didn't have a boat to get out there! They did call on 77 at 4 pm to advise that they "wouldn't be taking finish times". Challenging day against the tide...rum still tasted good in any case.

Sharpie of the Floating Dock has given the R930 Fleet a set of spot prizes for the winter series.

Here is how it works.

The spot prize is for a lift and wash at the floating dock.

At prize giving in the Ponsonby CC bar a spot prize will drawn from the list of R930 winter series entries.

A representative of the boat drawn must be there to collect the prize. if no one there to collect then it is drawn again until it is won by a 930 boat representative present.

The aim is to share the prize around, so once a boat has collected a Floating Dock lift and wash spot prize they are taken out of the pot for future draws.

This is a spot prize worth winning but you must be there to collect. I look forward to seeing more of you at prize giving after each of the next races. Only four more races to go in the series.

a.f.u

If everything goes to plan and my brand new laptop doesn't break again (grrr) I will be out and about taking photos on Sunday. Whos coming out to play? looks like its going to be a windy one.

Archived