Marine survey for a catamaran

ab1974

The cruising cat I have been looking at buying has now moved to contract. I need to get a survey done. Ray Beale and Mike Menzies are both names that come up as good surveyors.

Any thoughts on surveyors for cats or should I stick with Ray or Mike?

Mike Menzies did my boat (not a Cat) I could not fault him! He found a few very minor issues but didn't get carried away with the small things, I have seen surveys who have put down every scratch and paint chip

I'd go with the cheapest surveyor you can find. Hey, if they get it wrong on one hull, they might have better luck with the other. No wait, it doesn't work like that now does it? :wink: :lol:

Yeah most brokers take on a look of fear when they hear you have booked MM. More than their normal look of fear that is.

Yep, the broker wasn't too happy when I mentioned it was Ray. I could only take that as a good thing....

The boat is composite, not GRP so decided Ray would be the way forward.

I have used both of them and both are great. Ray can find a lot of stuff that isn't major though and the first read of the report can be a little scary.... He DOES take his time and find stuff though. I recommend both as good value for money.

Archived