Innovation

I 've become a bit of a blog follower of recent times. One of my favourites by a chap called Bob Wise (living on a 34' somewhere inthe Carribean at present, but has a list of even more interesting stuff behind him).

today I read this

One thing that often surprises me is the general lack of real innovation in and around things related to boats.

That said, I get press releases every day that use words like "NEW", "INNOVATIVE", and "ADVANCED" to describe things that are simply the same old same dusted off and re-hyped as something new... It's depressing!

What little real innovation I see is not coming from the marine industry at all but from actual folks on boats who come up with clever answers to real problems and issues they encounter sailing and cruising...

Sadly, the truly innovative folks are seldom interested in going into business selling stuff but are more than content to simply doddle through life making things that work better for their own needs and those around them.

We so need a maker revolution in the cruising community!

SO - what great innovations have we seen in the last 10 years?

Affordable and reliable GPS receivers and plotters, AIS, development of radar, development of satellite communications, developments of laminates and fibres in sail making ..... just off the top of my head.

But aside from all that .... what have the Romans ever done for us??? :wink:

Affordable and reliable GPS receivers and plotters, AIS, development of radar, development of satellite communications, developments of laminates and fibres in sail making ..... just off the top of my head.

I may be wrong - but al of those are over 10 years old i think, just polished up a bit.

Romans??? You mean besides the justice system, roads, plumbing.................

Well radar (and SSB) is WW2 technology, but you're going to argue that there's not been any innovation or development in radar on recreational vessels in the last 10 years? Digital radar is only relatively recent in recreational vessel terms.

Talk to the guys who are designing sail laminates and tell them there's been no innovation in the field in the last 10 years .... you might hear a bit of grumbling.

The problem is Squid, what level are you looking at? You could argue that there's been no innovation in sails at all because no matter what they're made from they still function in the same manner (i.e. they catch wind to propel the boat) or you could argue that the latest adhesives and fibres in laminates make the sails lighter, stronger, increase longevity, etc, etc.

I'm not arguing, I was just intrigued by something I read. But intrigued coz it is a random thougth i have had at times. essentially that all the recent "development" has been just refining a bunch of old ideas with better engineering.

Sailing gps learns your yachts polars so can compute how long to get to a destination. Gives you choices on which tack is fastest and whether you are better pinching or not. Sailtimer windvane works by wi fi or bluetooth ( not sure) and can fed to a computer , sailing gps or a ipad or ipod whatever they are.

After looking at the beautiful Vilisar the basics are GREAT.

There's a basic reality in this that applies to most other areas of technology as well. Nearly all innovation is incremental.

The technology we use today filters down from the fishing, military or racing community. By the time it is useful, usable, reliable and affordable for us it is not "new" according to some definitions.

Forward scanning sonar has been around for 70 years, is now a possibility on a recreational vessel, but still too costly for most. Wait a few years and everyone travelling to the tropics may have it. The innovation is in making it smaller, more usable and cheaper.

Sail technology comes down from the top level racing to the local racing really fast. Hard Labour was sporting a 3dx genoa in March last year.

What about: self tailing sheet winches that allow you to gradually unwind, loose luff furlers (for the code zero), outboard in a drop down well in the cockpit.

Or look at the overall package: a 30 foot mono that can compete with (beat?)the best 40 foot boats of 20 years ago in all conditions.

I was using GPS on recreational craft decades ago, the big ugly slow boxes they were. Nothing much new there bar AIS, the rest is all old stuff really even if it has developed into cheaper and easier to use these days. Even the Kiribati racing coconut palm hollowed out proas were using laminated sails over 2 decades ago. Sure plastic sheet and cotton sheets aren't that high tech but glue the 2 together and you do have a laminated sail :lol: :lol:

Gratuitous violence, orgies and some weird arsed language used to make up school mottos with???

The next big technological jump in yachts will probably be the rigs, they are the slowest thing on them at the moment.

Actually, I'm picking an area for innovation that is likely to come soon is antifouling. Copper based paints are becoming a no-no overseas so it looks like there will be a big push for effective alternatives.

Given the advances in battery science (from small gadgets through to hybrid cars) the heavy lumps of lead/acid/gel that sit in my bilge don't seem to progressed much over the decades?

I was watching a show on TV the other night where they used the accelerometer chip out if a Wii controller to record the g's pulled on a roller-coaster and it was really simple plug and play and some basic programming.

It made me think how easy it would be to adapt for autopilot control instead of a gyro. The whole setup cost US$45 and fitted in the palm of your hand.

Applications like Splash desktop are also pretty handy - remote control your PC (in a nice dry locker next to a power supply) running seaclear (or whatever) from your ipad in a drybag on deck via wireless. That's nice innovation.

EE

I was using GPS on recreational craft decades ago, the big ugly slow boxes they were. Nothing much new there bar AIS, the rest is all old stuff really even if it has developed into cheaper and easier to use these days. Even the Kiribati racing coconut palm hollowed out proas were using laminated sails over 2 decades ago. Sure plastic sheet and cotton sheets aren't that high tech but glue the 2 together and you do have a laminated sail :lol: :lol:

Gratuitous violence, orgies and some weird arsed language used to make up school mottos with???

The next big technological jump in yachts will probably be the rigs, they are the slowest thing on them at the moment.

Gooday K-M Does 'Maltese Falcon' count if talking about rigs - sails - reefing ??? Bloody expensive but n i c e. ciao, james

Has anyone mentioned the - very best new invention for special yachties in the last ??? years -is some funny kind of communication - THANKS ZOE & David Howie - best method to talk - Crews.org which we all enjoy - ciao, james

Gooday K-M Does 'Maltese Falcon' count if talking about rigs - sails - reefing ??? Bloody expensive but n i c e. ciao, james

Actually I may give you that one even if there is a hint the original design may have been pinched from The Pirates of the Caribbean :)

Yes bloody expensive is probably a good term talking MF's rig but then if you can afford the hull I suppose the rigs aren't that much more of a worry.

Archived